Why is there no TOS 1.4 annotated disassembly?

General Discussion, STOS.

Moderator: troed

terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: Why is there no TOS 1.4 annotated disassembly?

Post by terriblefire »

czietz wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:51 am Also, because of the Line-F-trickery used by Atari, TOS 1.04 isn't particularly easy to understand, anyway.
Agreed. Its awful and uses self modifying code. (It installs code in the F-Line handler and self modifies the code to suit the operation under way... really nasty stuff).
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
indicates how much hurting you shall receive."
Smonson

Post by Smonson »

czietz wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:51 am I think a disassembly of the parts of TOS written in C wouldn't be very helpful for understanding what's going on.
That's true, but a demarcation of the major elements (e.g. function names and data objects) would be quite useful.

I appreciate the advice about the line-f stuff, I haven't encountered any of that yet. Maybe nobody would ever want to touch that code anyway. I'm specifically interested in the Desktop itself right now.
thorsten.otto

Post by thorsten.otto »

In http://www.tho-otto.de/download/tos306de.tar.bz2 you will find the complete source code to build all 2.06 and 3.06 TOS versions (not 1.04 though). You can build them on TOS (will last several hours) or use the cross-compiler on linux (lasts a few seconds).

TOS 1.04 was quite different though. Apart from the new hardware supported in 2.06 and above, the whole ROM is not so well organized (AES and desktop routines are intermixed for example). And of course there is the Line-F handler to save space.
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

thorsten.otto wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:08 pm In http://www.tho-otto.de/download/tos306de.tar.bz2 you will find the complete source code to build all 2.06 and 3.06 TOS versions (not 1.04 though). You can build them on TOS (will last several hours) or use the cross-compiler on linux (lasts a few seconds).

TOS 1.04 was quite different though. Apart from the new hardware supported in 2.06 and above, the whole ROM is not so well organized (AES and desktop routines are intermixed for example). And of course there is the Line-F handler to save space.
Yes i was looking for this... NIce find sir.
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
Smonson

Post by Smonson »

Thanks Thorsten, this is the only time I've seen the Desktop source anywhere. You're a legend! :D
thorsten.otto

Post by thorsten.otto »

terriblefire wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:47 pm NIce find sir.
It's a bit more than just a "find" :)
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

thorsten.otto wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:33 pm
terriblefire wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:47 pm NIce find sir.
It's a bit more than just a "find" :)
Ah i hadnt made the connection that this was your work. Very nice.

But one favour please... un tar-bomb the tar ball.

http://www.linfo.org/tarbomb.html

Great work though.
———
thorsten.otto

Post by thorsten.otto »

terriblefire wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:02 pm But one favour please... un tar-bomb the tar ball.
I wasn't aware that this might be a problem. Most GUI programs will create a dedicated directory anyway, and then you would end up with a directory that just contains a single directory itself, which i would find annoing. Also there are some other scripts which i personally used during development, and all those would require changes then (not that i really "develop" it anymore, my main goal was to produce exact versions of original TOS roms, and that is achieved; there are other alternatives like EmuTOS if you are looking for actively developed TOS versions).

BTW, for the curious, there is also a second archive with the source of the tools used to compile the TOS source (mainly the alcyon compiler, and a few other tools). It comes in two flavours, the "orig" directory compiles to binary identical versions of the tools found in the atari development kit, the others are fixed versions so they can be used on other hosts like linux, but still produce the same 68k code. That second archive also contains the needed "GNUmakefiles" used for cross-compiling (which is maybe a mistake; they should be in in the original archive, too). The reason for splitting the archives was to allow the sources to fit into a 16MB partition.

Edit: archives should be fixed now

Return to “SOFTWARE”