WIP Atari ST ScummVM-lite

Our top picks of ST games!
agranlund

Re: WIP Atari ST ScummVM-lite

Post by agranlund »

stephen_usher wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 3:30 pm Is the new version downloadable yet?
Realistically i will be a couple of weeks or so until there is anything new worth sharing.
A lot has been picked apart and slowly being rebuilt in a way that should, fingers crossed, suit our machines better.
While background and background objects are indeed quite a lot faster, sprites are now slower (this is expected) until I've had a chance to change that code to also work with bitplanes.

I have a feeling sprites may become an ongoing thing of experimentation and we'll probably end up with different codepaths depending on hardware configuration. None of that has to happen all at once though, but a basic allround implementation needs to be put in place.
Text is not super speedy either but I wont touch that until I've picked off more of the other lower hanging fruit.

At the moment I am working on putting a conversion process in place that will run at first launch. This is probably a week+ worth of work in itself.
While converting data at runtime is perfectly fine for me when testing, it's not good enough for a proper build due to the longer loading times (or stutters, when doing it on first-use instead of at room-load)

Cheers,
--Anders
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

Fair enough. I look forward to seeing the newly refactored code version.

I'm not sure if I can help with debugging the DotT AY sound issues on my TT when it's ready.
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
DoG

Post by DoG »

Don't know if anyone has reported this but I just tried with MV16 cartridge on a stock Atari TT and it works fine.
agranlund

Post by agranlund »

DoG wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 6:06 pm Don't know if anyone has reported this but I just tried with MV16 cartridge on a stock Atari TT and it works fine.
Thank you so much for this! :D
I heard one more report of the MV16 working so I'm really quite happy about this.
The CVX4 parallel port DAC works fine on my 520ST, both of these are far better options than using the YM for digitized sound.
(But if you've got the option, DMA is best in terms of quality and CPU usage).
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

How's the code refactoring going?
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
agranlund

Post by agranlund »

While nowhere near done, I think stage 1 of optimisation is enough of an improvement to warrant a new build :)

http://www.happydaze.se/scummvm-lite-atari/

The important changes can be summed up with:
- Faster
- DMA sound fixes
- Mouse cursor is no longer tied to framerate of scummvm

While Monkey2 is starting to approach tolerable framerate on an 8Mhz machine in some scenes, I wouldn't consider it playable yet.
According to Hatari, a stock 16Mhz Falcon can run the Day of the Tentacle intro at a quite impressive smoothness.

This build does not work on 060 equipped machines due to usage of the MOVEP instruction. I will eventually get around making an alternative codepath for 060 but I assume CT60 owners are able to run the full official ScummVM anyway?

The games now do a rather lengthy "installation" at first launch. For now, this converts backgrounds into a format that helps me draw them faster.
It was quite a challenge getting to the point of being able to deconstruct and reconstruct new Scumm v5 and v6 resource files but now that it is done I can do pretty much whatever I need to any of the data to make it better for our purpose :)
The new resource files are called x.ST0 and x.ST1. Technically, you can removed the old .000, .001, .002 files but I'd keep them around as the next couple of release will need to reconvert data again.

While sprites are faster now, the sprite data is not touched at all in this build and encoded in a very sub-optimal way for speedy drawing on Ataris.
Sprite re-encoding is still a work-in-progress on my local builds and this is what I'm expecting/hoping will push Monkey2 much closer to good speeds on stock 8Mhz.

Emulated 16Mhz Falcon, DOTT intro:

Emulated 8Mhz ST, Monkey2:
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

Oh, I'll have a play tomorrow!
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

I see what you mean about the initial processing time. It took about a quarter of an hour for each game on the TT.

Bug reports so far :) :
  • Day of the Tentacle
    • No YM music
    • Minor graphic corruption of some text during intro (including Lucas Arts logo text).
  • Monkey Island 2
    • None so far
  • Indiana Jones
    • None so far
I'll post a video of the "Day of the Tentacle" issue later if that'll help.

Any idea why the music doesn't work in Day of the Tentacle but does in the other games?
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

agranlund

Post by agranlund »

stephen_usher wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 10:08 am I see what you mean about the initial processing time. It took about a quarter of an hour for each game on the TT.
Any idea why the music doesn't work in Day of the Tentacle but does in the other games?
Haha yeah I will probably need to make the installation process a bit faster at some point.
It hasn't felt super critical since I mostly test on the PC and there it takes just a few seconds to run through the same process :lol:

Interesting about the YM music in Day of the Tentacle.
It's a long-shot, but you could give this one a go and see if that works (it will not make you sit through the installation process again :D)

http://www.happydaze.se/wp-content/uplo ... E.PRG_.zip

Return to “GAME ZONE”