Future Wars

Our top picks of ST games!
russellnash

Future Wars

Post by russellnash »

The first Atari I had was an STE and the first game I played on it was Future Wars

I went to play it recently for the first time in 31 years on an STE. I used the [url=
http://www.atari.8bitchip.info/fromhd2.php]Ultrasatan[/url] version. The original was also installable on hard drive. The thing that made it special for me to this day was the music. I didn't know at the time but only the STE played this wonderful music. It also made me think at the time that ST games generally must have great music. When I started the game I was surprised when at the intro I got chip music. As far as I can tell if you play an original copy of the game from floppy you get STE music, but not from hard disk or other versions. I haven't tried all menu versions yet so maybe there is a version that plays the STE music too. Here is a not so good recording of the STE intro music. Couldn't upload a music file to the board. I cannot find the STE music soundtrack anywhere on the internet, so maybe it will be lost forever?

https://ufile.io/6i1htazq

http://www.atari.8bitchip.info/fromhd2.php
miggymog

Re: Future Wars

Post by miggymog »

You may have more luck with the french version.

You can hear this version has the digi music

There is a thread on AF with a demo with just the digi music playing(from amiga iirc). I had the budget kixx release for which the digi music did not work(STE support was why I had bought it as already had a version)! It apparently streamed from disk rather than using a tracker type music player on STE
Steve

Post by Steve »

I've never actually seen or played this game before, looks really good!
Darklord

Post by Darklord »

Just wondering, does that include PPera's HD adapted version or did he do one?

Never mind, found that in your post...

If it were me, I would simply go here and politely tell him about the music problem,
and ask if he could look at it:

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/32339 ... /#comments

HTH's. :)
Welcome To DarkForce! www.darkforce.org "The Fuji Lives.!"
Atari SW/HW based BBS-Telnet:darkforce-bbs.dyndns.org 1040
russellnash

Post by russellnash »

Hi, thanks, yes that is the wonderful original STE music. It is probably a good idea to ask as you say. I tried copying the original disks, double sided, as the original disks are supposedly single sided, but you don't get the music. At some point the originals won't work and it would be a shame to lose it forever.
russellnash

Post by russellnash »

So I Iet PP know, maybe we will see another version with STE music at some point in the future.
Darklord

Post by Darklord »

russellnash wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:28 am So I Iet PP know, maybe we will see another version with STE music at some point in the future.
Good deal. I'll keep my fingers crossed. I think the game deserves some update love. :)
Welcome To DarkForce! www.darkforce.org "The Fuji Lives.!"
Atari SW/HW based BBS-Telnet:darkforce-bbs.dyndns.org 1040
Smonson

Post by Smonson »

Loved this game. There's only one problem: if you didn't pick up a very tiny object the size of a single pixel at the beginning of the game, then when you get to the end you won't be able to complete it. A bit harsh.
russellnash

Post by russellnash »

Yes, that used to be a feature of some games back in the good old days. It can be a bit annoying. :P
derkom

Post by derkom »

Guaranteed replayability. Whether you want to or not! :lol:

Return to “GAME ZONE”