Ultima V: Warriors of Destiny

Our top picks of ST games!
AtariCrypt

Ultima V: Warriors of Destiny

Post by AtariCrypt »

Ultima V.jpg
Ultima V.jpg (107.62 KiB) Viewed 5722 times

I thought Ultima V would be a good start to sharing more games STuff here (blame Chris) because it's something I'm a complete noob at. Yup, I've never played these games - ever! So i've written a little something and recorded a video too. I'm getting to grips with the game's characteristics and all those keys so the game is really starting to open up. What a Christmas cracker this is!

Anyone else playing/played it or have tips/advice?

Creating yourself a character is an usual affair and something I didn't expect but this process got little Stevie configured and straight into the thick of it. Boy, are there a large number of keys to learn for each and every action and interaction within your surroundings. This place is huge and the battles are very hard so exploring Britannia is going to be lots of fun (or agony?). But I can take it!!

I've genuinely enjoyed my first couple of games: a lovely country walk through grasslands and forests until I came upon a small bridge - with a Troll. Luckily I made it across without him noticing me but I then ran into some red demons who decided that they wanted a piece of us. Yep, my first battle didn't go down well if I'm honest... Hang on, I think I've been resurrected for another bash!

Web Link = https://ataricrypt.blogspot.com/2018/12 ... stiny.html
Video = https://youtu.be/Mb7423VNsy4
sandord

Re: Ultima V: Warriors of Destiny

Post by sandord »

I've never played this game. I'm wondering why I never got it back in the days.

I think I'll give it a try during the holidays. I hope saving works well ;-)
AtariCrypt

Post by AtariCrypt »

It does and I'm in the same boat as you but I'm loving what I've seen so far. Hoping to get the time over Christmas but I can't devote all my free time otherwise I'll never update the website :D
DrF

Post by DrF »

sandord wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:53 pm I've never played this game. I'm wondering why I never got it back in the days.

I think I'll give it a try during the holidays. I hope saving works well ;-)
Me too, everyone raves about the series, but I don't even recall seeing it in shops or anyone having it?
I found PC owners tended to mention it a lot, maybe it just never did well on proper computers :lol:
IngoQ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IngoQ »

Never played any of this series, so I am asking myself if I should try one out?
Ingo :geek:

| Atari 1040STE@32MHz | Amiga 1200 (ACA1220) | Atari 800XL (U1MB, SIDE2) | Atari 130XL (Sophia DVI) | C64 (1541 Ultimate II, Rev3 RFMod Replacement) | TI 99/4A (F18A, 32k, FlashROM 99) | Sinclair ZX Spectrum 128 (Stereo, DivMMC) | Amstrad CPC664 (512k, M4 Wifi) | ... |
AtariCrypt

Post by AtariCrypt »

Yeah go for it! :ugeek:
IngoQ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IngoQ »

Would you suggest starting with Ultima I and move up the versions or is it pointless and pick the latest?

| Atari 1040STE@32MHz | Amiga 1200 (ACA1220) | Atari 800XL (U1MB, SIDE2) | Atari 130XL (Sophia DVI) | C64 (1541 Ultimate II, Rev3 RFMod Replacement) | TI 99/4A (F18A, 32k, FlashROM 99) | Sinclair ZX Spectrum 128 (Stereo, DivMMC) | Amstrad CPC664 (512k, M4 Wifi) | ... |
AtariCrypt

Post by AtariCrypt »

The game apparently can continue from your IV saves but that's about as much as I know. I do get the impression starting with V is fine. I did, so... Also, I think the ST has 2-6. Hoping you play this, it's really good :)
Darklord

Post by Darklord »

Ultima V is one of my all time fav ST games. Of course, I love all the Ultima games
available for the ST.

Be prepared for a long journey. For maximum enjoyment, actually play it - don't
follow a "walk through" that lets you finish the game in a minimum amount of time.

There's lots to see and the game changes according to some decisions you make along
the way. Explore *everything*. Read the tombstones, read the signs, read it all. :)

If you're playing from floppy, there was a small hack that installed a RAM disk in
the AUTO folder that made loading times nearly instantaneous.

Enjoy!

PS You should also go back and play Ultima III and IV. IV is especially unique
because of the way the game reacts according to whether or not you do good
or bad...
Welcome To DarkForce! www.darkforce.org "The Fuji Lives.!"
Atari SW/HW based BBS-Telnet:darkforce-bbs.dyndns.org 1040
IngoQ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IngoQ »

Thanks for the recommendation! :)

Return to “GAME ZONE”