WIP Atari ST ScummVM-lite

Our top picks of ST games!
agranlund

Re: WIP Atari ST ScummVM-lite

Post by agranlund »

tjam wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:06 pm
agranlund wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:40 pm Of course, anyone with a Falcon is also extremely welcome to try it and let me know if the sound works.
And anyone with an STE or TT as well, just in case this breaks anything on that machine.
I guess I'm saying I appreciate feedback on the sound changes on any machine really.

I'm a bit paranoid about the DMA stuff since I only have Hatari to test it with. It appears to work on both STE and Falcon in the emulator but you never really know with the real thing :lol:
Great work :bravo:
I just ran quick test with stock 030 mode and ct60 for "a" and "b" versions and they both work with DMA speech 8-) I also tested "a" version with Mint, but keyboard control is not working within game (sound selection still works though).
Oh that's brilliant! I'm really happy to hear DMA sound is finally working on the Falcon. I'll package up the b version as the official one.
Thank you so much for the help :dualthumbup:

I'm planning on taking a pass at working out the kinks with Mint and MagiC at some point as well. Always wanted to try these on my ST anyway :)
GadgetUK164

Post by GadgetUK164 »

agranlund wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:34 pm
GadgetUK164 wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:45 pm Just playing FOA further, I noticed in Monte Carlo the light in the room doesn't go out at the point you switch the breaker. Presumed normally some masking is done over some of the screen to make it look dark when the lights go out?
That could be it, or perhaps palette manipulation. Do you by any chance have a savefile somewhere close to that area that I can have? :)
Here are my saves - not sure if there's any other file you need? It's the one called Monte (number 7 or 8 I think). I've saved it at the point you need to ask the woman to distract him, and then just pull the circuit breaker to make the lights go off.

EDIT: Not sure if this same issue affects other things later - like when you get to the dig site (one area is supposed to be all dark, and get ligher as his eyes adjust). I've not quite got to that part yet but will soon.
Attachments
ATLANTIS.zip
(153.5 KiB) Downloaded 144 times
My YouTube Channel - www.youtube.com/GadgetUK164
agranlund

Post by agranlund »

nemo wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:38 pm What tjam said. Both a and b versions work fine! And better than before. :D In the early builds voice in Indy 4 was sometimes cut off a bit too early. Now it's fine. Same with the Ultimate Talkie versions and DOTT. 8-)
Some general feedback for the latest (non-test) version:
- Something's broken running from MagiC now. The games all crash with 2 bombs now.
- The dithered graphics work great in MI2 and Indy 4.
- DOTT looks nice dithered as well. Though I thought the previous nearest color version actually matched the flat shaded comic style a bit better. But this again comes down to personal taste and preference. I'm perfectly happy with the way it is now as well.
- MI1 is a tough one. But this is true with or without dithering. Those night scenes easily loose some detail or distinction. The cloud in the title screen blends with the background. The "SCUMM BAR" sign disappeared. Sometimes an important object also merges with the background like the rubber chicken at the voodoo lady. But to be honest, I'm also overly picky here, as MI1 is my all time favorite adventure game. :) Will really enjoy playing through this one with speech on my Falcon soon anyway! :P
Thanks for the feedback nemo!
The latest one should fix that startup crash under MagiC, at least according to Hatari, I haven't been able to get MagiC working on my real machine yet.
ScummST_200709.zip

I agree with pretty much all you said and I wondering if we should leave DOTT undithered.. And some larger objects are sometimes half background and half sprite, or switch between being a background or a sprite and that makes them look a bit weird when only backgrounds are dithered.

I'm hoping MI1 could be improved by tweaking the palette to introduce some more darker shades, hopefully without making it look rubbish in brighter areas. It's worth experimenting with anyway, it's a tricky one with these really dark night scenes :)
agranlund

Post by agranlund »

GadgetUK164 wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:00 pm Here are my saves - not sure if there's any other file you need? It's the one called Monte (number 7 or 8 I think). I've saved it at the point you need to ask the woman to distract him, and then just pull the circuit breaker to make the lights go off.
EDIT: Not sure if this same issue affects other things later - like when you get to the dig site (one area is supposed to be all dark, and get ligher as his eyes adjust). I've not quite got to that part yet but will soon.
Brilliant! Thank you :)
I'm going to take a look at these!

That dig site you mention is probably not going to fade the way you describe. It sounds like something you'd use palette manipulation to achieve.
GadgetUK164

Post by GadgetUK164 »

Thanks! Yeah, just played that area in the dig site that's suppsoed to be unlit until you get the generator working and its always lit. Another observation is the game gets super slow when items are appearing in the inventory, and when navigating up and down in inventory when its more than one page worth. Not sure if anything can be done about that later?
My YouTube Channel - www.youtube.com/GadgetUK164
nemo

Post by nemo »

agranlund wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:21 pm Thanks for the feedback nemo!
The latest one should fix that startup crash under MagiC, at least according to Hatari, I haven't been able to get MagiC working on my real machine yet.
ScummST_200709.zip
Ok, Hatari is really much more forgiving than the real deal. :D It still shows two bombs.
But actually it's easy to fix on my side. I just start the games in MagiCs single tasking mode and it works :)
agranlund wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:21 pm I agree with pretty much all you said and I wondering if we should leave DOTT undithered.. And some larger objects are sometimes half background and half sprite, or switch between being a background or a sprite and that makes them look a bit weird when only backgrounds are dithered.
Well, this would get my vote. :) Not sure if this again adds too much complexity, but otherwise it may be an option, to let users decide before install wether to install a dithered or nearest color version?
agranlund wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:21 pm I'm hoping MI1 could be improved by tweaking the palette to introduce some more darker shades, hopefully without making it look rubbish in brighter areas. It's worth experimenting with anyway, it's a tricky one with these really dark night scenes :)
Oh, sounds good. Looking forward to these experiments! :)

Cheers, keep up the great work.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

nemo wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:41 am Ok, Hatari is really much more forgiving than the real deal. :D It still shows two bombs.
But actually it's easy to fix on my side. I just start the games in MagiCs single tasking mode and it works :)
Sounds like the program is trying to use memory that it doesn't "own" then.
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
agranlund

Post by agranlund »

stephen_usher wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:56 pm
nemo wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:41 am Ok, Hatari is really much more forgiving than the real deal. :D It still shows two bombs.
Sounds like the program is trying to use memory that it doesn't "own" then.
ALL YOUR MEMORY ARE BELONG TO US! :lol:

allyourbase.jpg
allyourbase.jpg (20.79 KiB) Viewed 3965 times
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

:thumbup: :threadjacked: :dizzy: :lolbig:
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
kodak80

Post by kodak80 »

In my H4 under TOS 1.04 or EmuTOS, I seem to have no sound (music or talking) now in DOTT for the last couple of releases.

Indy, MI2 and MI1 are all fine for sound and talking. Latest version seems to fix the speech cut-off in MI1 and Mi2 now. :D

MI1 still has the splash title mixing with the drifting cloud background.

Atlantis (talkie) has slight text corrupted that appears over the stage ghost before it moves.

Overall, these games are very playable on a stock Atari 8mhz CPU.
Atari Falcon 030 | Atari 1040 STE | Atari 1040 STFM | Atari 1040 STF | Kryoflux & Supercard Pro Flux boards
Creator of the Atari ST Review magazine archive: https://www.chillichai.com/atari-st-review

Return to “GAME ZONE”