WIP Atari ST ScummVM-lite

Our top picks of ST games!
PhilC

Re: WIP Atari ST ScummVM-lite

Post by PhilC »

That looks pretty good to me.

I'd probably dig out my old 05/RW and give it a blast. I bet it'd sound great on that.

Looking forward to seeing what you do next with it.
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
agranlund

Post by agranlund »

terriblefire wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:38 pm I'm really happy to see the TF boards enabling this sort of thing... :)
The board is fantastic!
That ST was a christmas present some 30-odd years ago and I love that I got a reason to tinker with it again rather than it being stored away in the attic.. nostalgia deluxe :)
JezC

Post by JezC »

agranlund wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:26 pm I'd love to get my hands on a real MT32 but in the meanwhile my Mac is happy to pretend to be one :)
:goodpost:

I've still got my MT32 somewhere - bought new back in 1987...will have to see if I can find it & hook it up to one of my STs & try one of the enabled games with it.

I can't help thinking that between all the talented people on this forum we should be able to make many more brilliant developments such as this!

:2k2:

I salute you all!
agranlund

Post by agranlund »

PhilC wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:50 pm That looks pretty good to me.
I'd probably dig out my old 05/RW and give it a blast. I bet it'd sound great on that.
Looking forward to seeing what you do next with it.
Thanks! Internal drawing is still chunky mode, with a final chunky-to-planar of dirty areas.
The idea is to rewrite most of this to do planar on a much lower level, in the hopes of achieving decent performance in MI2 & Indy4 on 8Mhz machines.

But before I rip everything apart to do that I want to get the whole thing in a pretty good state feature wise. That way I can put a usable version on github for people with fast machine to play with. I'm assuming it should run fine on TT's and accelerated Falcons if it works well on my accelerated ST :)

The executable is at 650kb now so next up is probably to take yet another pass at reducing executable size.
I already got rid of a lot of bloat and code not needed for the games this build is supposed to support but the save/load GUI is still there and I will replace it with the simpler but much leaner one from v0.2.0, hoping that will shave off ~100kb.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Wow this is brilliant! For years we can barely get scummvm working on accelerated falcons let alone stock machines!

If possible please have an optimised falcon/TT ver :)
agranlund

Post by agranlund »

I just couldn't resist... :lol:
Least possible effort YM2149 chip sound to fall back on if you don't have a midi setup.
There's so much that could be improved here but I think this will have to do for now.

terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

Sweet!
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
indicates how much hurting you shall receive."
tomster

Post by tomster »

This is nothing short of amazing, can't wait to play MI2 on the ST.
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

Wondering if this can be setup to build in container? is it building with GCC?
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
indicates how much hurting you shall receive."
agranlund

Post by agranlund »

Speech and digital sound effects through the YM2149 :geek:
Ok, so it doesn't sound all that great but I'm glad to have it in there and it was fun to do. One could always turn it off if it's bothering :)

Me or someone else could quite easily make it detect STe/Falcon/TT and use hardware DMA sound instead. Should sound a lot better, and take less CPU cycles doing so :)

Return to “GAME ZONE”