Starquake (platformer)

Our top picks of ST games!
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Starquake (platformer)

Post by exxos »

Today, I thought that I would descend deeper into the realms of retro gaming with an old great that I've not played since I was 14 years old, Starquake by BubbleBus / Mandarin Software. Like most people, I did not own an expensive Atari ST in 1985 and was instead using a ZX Spectrum. Yup, I've not played Starquake since the mid-80s!

You're a BLOB (BioLogically Operated Being) which has crash-landed on a planet and it's your job to save it before it implodes! Each screen is filled with cutesy (yet annoying) baddies that can zap away your energy or kill you outright. Thankfully you have a weapon but they are relentless with their swarm-like attacks. Curiously, you have no jump ability but instead, can build temporary platforms that help you reach those higher places. Also, dotted about the map are hover-pads which you can use. Starquake is a big game and one which will instantly appeal whilst you somehow get yourself completely lost as you wander from screen to screen. There are tasks to complete, like collecting objects and computer codes, which is a lot harder than it sounds. Oddly, you cannot collect items when using a hover pad...

Overall, I found our Atari ST version to be a little harder than the original Speccy game but its definitely a brilliant conversion of that 8-bit classic. I really enjoyed playing Starquake which offers a massive, long-term challenge and is extremely addictive. Highly recommended, if only to see ZX Spectrum folk drool over the graphics ;-)

- Starquake is downloadable via Old Games Finder and cheaters can find helpful codes right here :o)
- Here is a map of the Speccy game I still love this!

Article source ataricrypt
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.

Return to “GAME ZONE”