Floppy Support

The place to discuss & share your 3D models or printable parts!
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Floppy Support

Post by exxos »

rubber_jonnie wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:38 am Just as a little bit of extra info, these print fine at .2mm, but at .1mm had some very fine stringing, and I know that exxos also had some print problems including stringing too.

.2mm is fine for most scenarios, but if you try to print finer and get stringing, then dropping the filament temp should do the trick. I was running at 200C, dropping to 190C or 180C should make it nicer. I'd also suggest perhaps printing solid rather than with infill.
I started with PLA and prints were terrible. I played around all day yesterday with it. Long story short, I had to move to 170c temp to get good prints. things were better with 0.2mm, but anything less my posts grew trees on the sides! I did 2 posts each test, and started to lower the temps 10c at a time. things were improving at 190c. 180c I was left with the slotted part (top) over hanging the main sides a fraction. now 170c gives me perfect prints. I will get my IR thermal probe on the head later and see what temp its really at..

Basically went from looking like these..

IMG_3549.JPG
IMG_3549.JPG (258.57 KiB) Viewed 5006 times
IMG_3550.JPG
IMG_3550.JPG (349.75 KiB) Viewed 5006 times
IMG_3570.JPG
IMG_3570.JPG (257.57 KiB) Viewed 5006 times

To these..
1.jpg
1.jpg (94.47 KiB) Viewed 5006 times
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

Splendid

:cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

:dualthumbup: :dualthumbup: :dualthumbup: :dualthumbup: :dualthumbup:

:bravo:
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

I actually printed mine at 0.1mm with Sunlu Pla+ at 190C with 60C bed temp and appart from the brim which I always use, the prints can out as seen, I hadn't cleaned them up any before taking the photo.
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

Forgot to say 0 2mm first layer, side wall is set at 4 layers and infill at 50%, although there wasn't much in the way of infill by the time you've done 4 for the side walls.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

This was a test last night at 170C, 70C bed, .1mm layer, 20mm/s print speed and 200mm/s travel speed. There was some stringing still, but it was so super fine it was insignificant, and the posts printed out real well. I suspect if I put a bit more distance between the two I'd also reduce the stringing. It only happens up top when the slotted areas are printing, I suspect as it's got a lot more movement to do.
IMG_20181121_235735.jpg
IMG_20181121_235735.jpg (5.48 MiB) Viewed 4982 times
(Sorry for the large image size exxos, didn't think that it would show the detail smaller)

The only trouble, it took about an hour, so I think though I'll change my temps to 170C & 70C respectively, I'm going to stick with 50mm/s print speed and 120mm/s travel speed, with a .2mm layer for general usage, and use the other values for when I want the quality to be real nice.
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

These are my settings currently...

1.JPG
1.JPG (59.83 KiB) Viewed 4976 times

Though I think that speed is pretty hard on the mechanics overall..
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

Interesting, the article here: https://ultimaker.com/en/resources/1950 ... -stringing suggests an increase in travel speed and reduction in print speed, but you have a pretty fast print speed (Mine defaults to 60mm/s) and a slower travel speed (Mine defaults to 120mm/s).

I suppose it is all dependent on the printer too, you have a fixed bed I think, and mine moves, so that may play a part. I also suspect as you mentioned that the temps are not wholly accurate, so 160-165C may be feasible to use on mine, but I have no way of telling atm as no thermal scanner.
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

Good call with the distance thing, bigger distance works better for my printer too.

I'd try slowing things down a little, mine is set to 60mm/s print and infil and outer wall is 30mm/s. I know this will have a big effect on print time but as far as i've seen, slower speed is more accuracy.

Make sure the tensions for any drive belts are ok as well. With the white ones that exxos printed, maybe the print head hit the previous layer and skipped, causing the shift?
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

Forgottenmyname wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:45 pm Good call with the distance thing, bigger distance works better for my printer too.

I'd try slowing things down a little, mine is set to 60mm/s print and infil and outer wall is 30mm/s. I know this will have a big effect on print time but as far as i've seen, slower speed is more accuracy.

Make sure the tensions for any drive belts are ok as well. With the white ones that exxos printed, maybe the print head hit the previous layer and skipped, causing the shift?
Tension is ok on my belts, I printed off some tensioners, how cool that you can do that :) 60mm/s seems to work well for mine, so likely I will continue to use that for most jobs. 20mm/s and .1mm gives nice quality, but an hour for 2 supports is insane.

As for the exxos offset white ones, I did see a video of him printing, and there was catching of the 2nd extruder on one of them, so I suggested a re-orientation of the job 90 degrees. I also do 20% infill, these things are so small you don't need much for it to be as good as a solid one.
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

I use those settings when I want something of quality, otherwise quick prints are 0.2, faster and 2 layers on the wall.

And it sounds like maybe one extruder isn't level with the other then but a good suggestion to print further over but ultimately it's level it up time I guess.

Good to see how yourself and Exxos are getting on with 3d printers as well, all different but all the same if you know what I mean.

Return to “3D MODELS”