Floppy Support

The place to discuss & share your 3D models or printable parts!
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Floppy Support

Post by exxos »

rubber_jonnie wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:13 pm Be interested to see the results, Lee Ashmore on FB has suggested .2mm for the layer for strength.
Settings I used for ABS, its pretty solid, I have given up trying to cut the slots with a knife.. can see it not ending well.. blood most likely.. :)
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

I think the print speed is probably still too fast. But not so much that the printer isn't capable of this speed, I think it is the cooling time needs to be longer for it prints each additional layer... See how the current settings pan out first...

EDIT:
Nope, pretty much the same as before :( I think the filament rate needs to slow down to stop the stringing a bit more or something.. will try again :)
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

Hopefully I will get one printed out tonight so I can work on the changes I need to make to make it work.

I think they will all be rather minor, it'll probably take longer for me how to work out what to do in Fusion 360 than print the things :)
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

Also thinking an alternate to the 3 .5mm slots 120 degrees apart, perhaps a straight 1mm cut might be better.

Lots of options to try now I have the basic shape.
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

I think I can see the printing problem is, it prints one side of the post, then shoots across the other side basically catching the part it has just printed.. it really needs to pause like 10 seconds between printing layers or something :shrug:

The post on the right is the current one, looks a lot cleaner on top, still not perfect...

Will reduce the speed of the film a bit more... Will also try slower settings as I think the travel speed is not really helping...

3rd.jpg
3rd.jpg (253.27 KiB) Viewed 3743 times

Next test will take 50mins.. super slow....
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

exxos wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:10 pm I think I can see the printing problem is, it prints one side of the post, then shoots across the other side basically catching the part it has just printed.. it really needs to pause like 10 seconds between printing layers or something :shrug:

The post on the right is the current one, looks a lot cleaner on top, still not perfect...

Will reduce the speed of the film a bit more... Will also try slower settings as I think the travel speed is not really helping...

3rd.jpg
Yep. the slots need to get bigger or go completely I think.

BTW I see you have filament retraction, but do you also have Z Hop? That will lift the nozzle slightly when it moves to prevent snagging.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

rubber_jonnie wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:17 pm BTW I see you have retraction, but do you also have Z Hop? That will lift the nozzle slightly when it moves to prevent snagging.
I cant see anything to lift the head while its moving :(
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

exxos wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:19 pm
rubber_jonnie wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:17 pm BTW I see you have retraction, but do you also have Z Hop? That will lift the nozzle slightly when it moves to prevent snagging.
For me, Z Hop is an option in Cura when I slice.
Maeke

Post by Maeke »

exxos wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:19 pm
not while moving but when retracting, and you should have an option able to trigger a retraction on travels.
If i take too long to reply, sorry my cat is sleeping on my laps.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

By moving I mean when it stops printing and moves to the next point to start printing again. It may not get much chance to do a Z Hop on a small piece like this.

Return to “3D MODELS”