STFM case remake

The place to discuss & share your 3D models or printable parts!
DrF

Re: STFM case remake

Post by DrF »

PayPal recently started some "money pool" thing, it's like them KickStarter raise funds thing, I think people would donate to that, shame PayPal themselfs just cannot be trusted :(
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

DrF wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 4:05 pm PayPal recently started some "money pool" thing, it's like them KickStarter raise funds thing, I think people would donate to that, shame PayPal themselfs just cannot be trusted :(
PayPal would be a good system as lots of people use it, but like you say, paypal is just a awful company like ebay. Can you envision 40K in funds being tied up for 6 months+ because someone opened a dispute...

Kickstarter etc has been talked about a lot. Though it always boils down to getting as much cash as possible, but only way to get people to spend more is if the payment value was a discount on the final case to encourage people to spend more. I mean I could get 200 people donating £5, but thats only £1,000... If you look at 40,000 / 200 , those 200 people need to fund £200 each to make it work.

Crowdfunding can work, I mean people raised like 20k for that book I think ? Though mostly they get a book for their cash and goodies. With this case, it's more complicated.

My only other thought is if like 10 people chipped in 5K each and they get the cheap cases to sell. Though even that seems unlikely. Even if I could find 10 people to fund it and we all sold cases, likely only a couple of people would sell cases, and the other 8 wouldn't get their money back.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
IngoQ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IngoQ »

To me it seems like unless we find a much cheaper method of producing a 1040ST case, this will be a dead end. There is a huge financial risk and nobody of us seems to have that kind of money to blow.

Maybe it would be an idea to try making a case that is

a) DIYable
b) fits an ST Mainboard
c) is expandable
d) does not necessarily look like the original?

I mean, if we are talking about making a new board with the possibility of new extensions, why not fit in a new case?

Provided it is not an ugly box like the MIST, of course ;)

But something like the Mega or the TT case could be an option.... or if it needs to be all in one design, a simpler variant of the console design, that could be clipped/screwed together...
Ingo :geek:

| Atari 1040STE@32MHz | Amiga 1200 (ACA1220) | Atari 800XL (U1MB, SIDE2) | Atari 130XL (Sophia DVI) | C64 (1541 Ultimate II, Rev3 RFMod Replacement) | TI 99/4A (F18A, 32k, FlashROM 99) | Sinclair ZX Spectrum 128 (Stereo, DivMMC) | Amstrad CPC664 (512k, M4 Wifi) | ... |
IngoQ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IngoQ »

| Atari 1040STE@32MHz | Amiga 1200 (ACA1220) | Atari 800XL (U1MB, SIDE2) | Atari 130XL (Sophia DVI) | C64 (1541 Ultimate II, Rev3 RFMod Replacement) | TI 99/4A (F18A, 32k, FlashROM 99) | Sinclair ZX Spectrum 128 (Stereo, DivMMC) | Amstrad CPC664 (512k, M4 Wifi) | ... |
IngoQ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IngoQ »

And then there is that:

exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

IngoQ wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 4:09 pm I mean, if we are talking about making a new board with the possibility of new extensions, why not fit in a new case?
A new motherboard can be ATX and use any PC case. Though it doesn't solve the retro computer case issue. Mostly its because the keyboard is very long on the ST. could use a laptop keyboard, but then still need a new motherboard. I think a new motherboard is a long way off yet, to much other work to do yet.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
Maeke

Post by Maeke »

IngoQ wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 4:27 pm And then there is that:

I hate this case, it's only a very poor and spiritless imitation of a true vintage computer case.
If i take too long to reply, sorry my cat is sleeping on my laps.
DrF

Post by DrF »

Maeke wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 6:29 pm
IngoQ wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 4:27 pm And then there is that:

I hate this case, it's only a very poor and spiritless imitation of a true vintage computer case.
It don't do nothing for me either sadly :(
I used to build HTPCs before in a case very similar to that in the early 2000s, a cheap case from a company called Chinese company called Tsunami they was about £40 then with the shameless quality to match too, lots of sanding, grinding and filing to get things to fit :lol:

Late Edit :

The dangers of KickStarter come out yet again sadly :(

https://techcrunch.com/2018/05/20/after ... isappears/
Gunstick

Post by Gunstick »

If we can create a case model which can be laser cut, that would be great.
But laser cut cases always have right angle (sharp) edges.
Maybe CNC-millable would be a better approach. But the surface finish is then not as nice.
Maeke

Post by Maeke »

The sharp edges of the laser cut can be masked by 3d printed parts.
Thus we can work on a case which is laser cutted AND 3d printed.
If i take too long to reply, sorry my cat is sleeping on my laps.

Return to “3D MODELS”