STFM case remake

The place to discuss & share your 3D models or printable parts!
PhilC

Re: STFM case remake

Post by PhilC »

Looks good, well done guys.
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Icky »

rubber_jonnie wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 8:27 am That looks pretty amazing, what material and resolution are you using and what is the print time at that scale?
Hi RJ. It was done using some rubbish PLA I had as we were really looking for the issues with the files and how they printed. We were not really looking at a quality build :). This exercise has really helped us as it identified several areas that need adjusting on the files (still being worked on) and also how to start to look at going about printing this case.

As mentioned once the files have been adjusted we are going to look at printing some full size sections and stick them together to get a sense of the case. No doubt there will still be some tweaking required at full size.
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Icky »

To provide an update on the case remake.

We have been working on the bottom part of the case first after identifying several issues with the files. Every single pillar on the bottom of the case was in the wrong place. We have managed to sort out all the pillars at the rear of the case such as the PSU and Floppy ones. The black line in the pic shows where all the pillars above the line are corrected.

0D895860-7BD7-4C95-AD39-D46BDEC1593C.jpeg
0D895860-7BD7-4C95-AD39-D46BDEC1593C.jpeg (195.95 KiB) Viewed 4109 times

However in moving towards the front of the case things started to go a little out of whack. Again the pillars are not in the right place but also there is an issue with the front grill. If you look at the picture below you will see that in correcting the pillar in the centre it shows the grill is in the wrong place.

9819F8E8-E1BD-435B-B88F-A0AC4D336F7B.png
9819F8E8-E1BD-435B-B88F-A0AC4D336F7B.png (110.72 KiB) Viewed 4109 times

What you may have noticed is that the grills at the front look odd. The angle is wrong. We believe that the scan of the case got confused with the broken angle on the grill where it goes flat from the bottom of the case up to the lip under the keyboard at the front. This made the grill come out at a different angle. See pic below on the real case for comparison.

E95BCDDA-2C62-4E79-BE5B-2E1218CCB85A.jpeg
E95BCDDA-2C62-4E79-BE5B-2E1218CCB85A.jpeg (482.53 KiB) Viewed 4109 times

So we have deleted the grill at the front as it was a mess and are currently rebuilding the correct grill.

Once the bottom case is as good as we can tell we are going to break it into 6 printable sections this is so we can easily print on a 3D printer at full scale. We will fix these together to get an idea if we have everything correct.

With the ultimate test of dropping an ST motherboard into it and placing a real STFM top case onto it.
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

Looking good Icky
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Great work :thumbup:

Amazing how the files were supposed to be laser scanned for accuracy and yet, things are all over the place :roll: the scans were not exactly cheap either :(
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

Well, I have to say the color is a good combo for Exxos's TV monitor.. :)
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Icky »

PaulJ wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:27 am Well, I have to say the color is a good combo for Exxos's TV monitor.. :)
I am sure we can find some pink filament to print out a case so it matches exxos’ TV monitor.
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

I'm sure I saw pink filament on his desk a while back.

I'm going to order some filament that's supposed to be the right colour. Will let you all know how it goes.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Yeah I got pink :) Though my printer has a smaller bed than Icky anyway :(

I am tempted to get a CR10 to print full scale on this stuff.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Icky »

A bit more progress on the case. I can confirm that the floppy pillars are in the correct location.

I did a print last night that took 9 hours of the Bottom Rear Right section. The sections being 6, the case bottom split in half front to back and then each of those two parts split into 3 sections. As can be seen in the pic below of the rear 3 sections.

Screenshot 2019-06-06 at 08.34.57.png
Screenshot 2019-06-06 at 08.34.57.png (251.51 KiB) Viewed 3982 times

For those out there wondering about settings, firstly I did not spend much time calibrating my printer before launching this print. In addition I opted to not do struts to reduce the time as initially the time quoted was 23 hours but reduced a lot of options to get the time down. This did result in a little sagging. Print was 0.15mm with 15% in-fill.

As you can see I have dropped the orange-red PLA and am working with grey PLA+

IMG_3992.jpg
IMG_3992.jpg (186.69 KiB) Viewed 3982 times
IMG_3994.jpg
IMG_3994.jpg (112.06 KiB) Viewed 3982 times
IMG_3995.jpg
IMG_3995.jpg (115.93 KiB) Viewed 3982 times
IMG_3993.jpg
IMG_3993.jpg (187.24 KiB) Viewed 3982 times

In addition it has highlighted a few more issues with the files that need addressing. For those eagle eyed people out there here are some items:
  • Its missing the struts that go just under the floppy drive at the front of the drive for the drive to rest on
  • Also the rear back plate has a small lip on the top to help the top part of the case stay together which is missing
  • Two of the pillar screw holes are too small and need widening
Next task is to add these items / modifications in.

Return to “3D MODELS”