STFM case remake

The place to discuss & share your 3D models or printable parts!
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: STFM case remake

Post by exxos »

:cry: Maybe need a sticker on the door "Do not enter on punishment of death" or something. ..
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

Sorry @Icky only just seen this, will have my fingers and toes crossed for the next one.

BTW, I know its a waste of filament but maybe try a more solid raft first and if nothing else board up the lower half of the printer to stop drafts directly on the print.

Oh and before I forget, did you also try levelling the bed when it's warm? Might be bulging very slightly in the middle?
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Icky »

PhilC wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 6:52 pm Sorry @Icky only just seen this, will have my fingers and toes crossed for the next one.

BTW, I know its a waste of filament but maybe try a more solid raft first and if nothing else board up the lower half of the printer to stop drafts directly on the print.

Oh and before I forget, did you also try levelling the bed when it's warm? Might be bulging very slightly in the middle?
Yeah the printer has a complete chamber but I didn't have the front panel in place correctly. Plus I have noticed a few gaps where it will be drawing air through that need to be sorted.

Yep levelling is done at temperature as the plate is large and you need to do it once its all at temp.
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Icky »

More progress. @exxos has a pink STFM bottom part of a case - https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/forum/viewt ... 850#p40589

I have been printing out sections not the whole case as prototyping continues. The current print is the section of the whole left side of the bottom case and the print was a bit scrappy because I wanted a fast print.

However it has showed a few things. There is a stress point on the cartridge bridge that breaks easily. I had a look on a real STFM case and that area is pretty much the weakest point on the case bottom. The point broke when lifting from the printer bed. Will be shoring that area out to improve.

IMG_5328.jpeg
IMG_5328.jpeg (51.8 KiB) Viewed 7087 times
IMG_5330.jpeg
IMG_5330.jpeg (76.5 KiB) Viewed 7087 times
IMG_5329.jpeg
IMG_5329.jpeg (46.16 KiB) Viewed 7087 times

In addition we have been making some of the mount points use threaded inserts similar to the newer STE cases.

IMG_5288.jpeg
IMG_5288.jpeg (125.51 KiB) Viewed 7087 times
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Looking good! Yeah I think a few places will need tweaking to make it less breakable.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Icky »

Small update. As we have been printing prototype sections to make sure all the posts and ports are in the correct position we are starting to see certain areas where we need to make some slight modifications to improve the quality of printing of the case. We have always said this is not going to be an exact match of the original but an approximation to look like the original and allow a motherboard to be housed.

One example is the front grills. They go from flat and angle upwards and this is a potential area that on every prototype we have printed is scrappy. We are going to introduce a small thin bar along that edge to improve the print, make it stronger and keep the aesthetics of the case.
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Icky »

A quick mock up of the thin bar in place. When the case is flat on the desk it doesn't look very much different from the original.

Screenshot 2020-07-09 at 11.50.19.png
Screenshot 2020-07-09 at 11.50.19.png (611.27 KiB) Viewed 5212 times
Screenshot 2020-07-09 at 11.50.39.png
Screenshot 2020-07-09 at 11.50.39.png (393.89 KiB) Viewed 5212 times
Screenshot 2020-07-09 at 11.53.15.png
Screenshot 2020-07-09 at 11.53.15.png (431.83 KiB) Viewed 5212 times
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Icky wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:53 am A quick mock up of the thin bar in place
Probably not a bad idea anyway as the front gets easily chipped.
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Icky »

Well we have been printing lots of prototype case bottoms as we keep getting break points in the same two places. :(

The last run I did on a full case bottom, which took around 29 hours, had to be halted due to one of the break points actually coming away whilst printing, even with substansial supports. This is not the first time this has happened so they are definitely the weak points which need to be resolved.

So although its not a full print and has a nasty extrusion on the back right all is not lost as this helps to confirm our thoughts on a removable (slot in) back panel to allow printing of different port layouts, such as accommodating an H4 with the stacked Phoenix Shifter board having a HDMI out slot above the original ST monitor slot or other options. The removable panel will elevate that weak point and allow for improved printing.

In addition the full case has shown almost all posts etc are in the right place. Just the front three post need to be moved 3-4mm towards the front a bit more.

Well @exxos now you can get a sense for what a pink ST will look like :)

IMG_5467.jpeg
IMG_5467.jpeg (84.14 KiB) Viewed 5097 times
IMG_5468.jpeg
IMG_5468.jpeg (90.77 KiB) Viewed 5097 times
IMG_5469.jpeg
IMG_5469.jpeg (185.12 KiB) Viewed 5097 times
DoG

Post by DoG »

Looks great. It looks like the walls are a bit thicker then original but maybe my eyes plays some trickery on me. :?

Return to “3D MODELS”