Forgottenmyname - Progress

Where Alpha builders can post pics and progress etc
PhilC

Re: Forgottenmyname - Progress

Post by PhilC »

troed wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:10 pm You'll have 99% unless you have a 32.08 or higher oscillator
Thats what I thought but was interesting to try :-)
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

Hi guys, no progress at the moment. The wife had an op last week, so have been on husbandry duties looking after her.

Hope to get something more done after the weekend.
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Icky »

Forgottenmyname wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:36 pm Hi guys, no progress at the moment. The wife had an op last week, so have been on husbandry duties looking after her.

Hope to get something more done after the weekend.
Hope Mrs Forgottenmyname she gets well soon.
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

Thanks, so do I, the geek cave keeps calling. :lol:
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

Not good news from my point of view.

My STF has died.
I am slowly starting to resurrect it.
The CPU was halted but now thats fixed, was a poor connection on /Reset and /Halt thanks to a dodgy 74LS05.
Next I need to determine if all of the chips on the board are working, so will pop them one by one into one of my Mega ST4's.
At the moment it doesn't boot with the TOS rom inserted and with the DiagRom I get a flashing border as I did when that loaded before but nothing further.
I'm pretty sure the GLUE, Shifter and CPU are working fine, only problem with trying to diagnose the MMu is having this MMU adaptor board plugged into it, so struggling a bit there, so can't rule out a Ram problem at the moment.

My serial is also not working right but then didn't in the first place. Using putty I've got it set to 8N1 at 9600bps but all I get is gibberish when connected, pretty sure i've got it wired correctly now.

Hopefully have a bit more time over the week for the next steps.
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Icky »

Forgottenmyname wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:31 pm Not good news from my point of view.

My STF has died.
I am slowly starting to resurrect it.
The CPU was halted but now thats fixed, was a poor connection on /Reset and /Halt thanks to a dodgy 74LS05.
Next I need to determine if all of the chips on the board are working, so will pop them one by one into one of my Mega ST4's.
At the moment it doesn't boot with the TOS rom inserted and with the DiagRom I get a flashing border as I did when that loaded before but nothing further.
I'm pretty sure the GLUE, Shifter and CPU are working fine, only problem with trying to diagnose the MMu is having this MMU adaptor board plugged into it, so struggling a bit there, so can't rule out a Ram problem at the moment.

My serial is also not working right but then didn't in the first place. Using putty I've got it set to 8N1 at 9600bps but all I get is gibberish when connected, pretty sure i've got it wired correctly now.

Hopefully have a bit more time over the week for the next steps.
Good luck getting the STF back on its feet again. Was there anything in particular that may of caused this to happen?
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

When I tried the blitter in my STF is when I had a problem as it killed the GLUE for some reason.

Replaced the GLUE and all was ok. Put it to one side whilst I was trying to get the Pak to work with one of my Megas (failed, lol) and when I put it back on my desk it didn't work.
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

So, the good news is that the chips on the board tested out ok, so it looks like I've got a loose connection or dry joint, so time to be spent tomorrow with a multimeter and the schematic, joy. :roll:

I'm happier now that I know it's something daft thats keeping the STF from working, its just a case of finding which bit.

Good news is that I have more working spare parts than I thought but did find some oddities. IMP shifter works ok in my Mega but not in the STF and the -38 DMA I have surprisingly doesn't work with anything.

Think I'll order some new sockets for the ROM and maybe GLUE as they've been in and out so many times.

Also, looks like the blitter I tried in the STF doesn't want to play in one of my Mega's and didn't want to risk breaking the other Mega's bitter to find out.

Hopefully Icky's order of a blister from Aliexpress will work out, so I can get one too :D

Fingers crossed for tomorrows fault finding session.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

I'm using a IMP shifter in my STF and works fine.. also IMP DMA,GLUE,MMU in fact.

There are some variations of shifter, some MEGA shifters had direct analouge outputs, don't know if any made it to the real world or not, its in the MEGA schematics.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

Yes I'd seen that in the schematics, will google the one that didn't want to play in my Mega and see. I'm sure it worked previously in the STF, so again could be a loose connection?

Return to “ALPHA USER BUILDS”