Icky - Progress

Where Alpha builders can post pics and progress etc
PhilC

Re: Icky - Progress

Post by PhilC »

So, to confirm, I don't get the flashing on my crt tv but the colours are a tad on the bright side, with the green.
20180926_194322.jpg
20180926_194322.jpg (2.26 MiB) Viewed 3421 times
The green is literally glow in the dark bright but my cable doesn't have any resistors on the rgb lines.
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

Forgottenmyname wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:45 pm The green is literally glow in the dark bright but my cable doesn't have any resistors on the rgb lines.
I thought that that was normal on the original ST.
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
troed

Post by troed »

Yeah I'd put 150 Ohm on each of the RGB lines if it's that bright.

my reason for asking if the flash happened on another screen is that very few things in an ST could cause that, while a modern flat screen can do anything it likes when it detects the slightest disturbance in the signal :) So the "flash" might in itself only point to something that's a tiny bit unstable in the hsync or vsync etc.
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

Hi Troed, yeah that's what I thought, with Icky using an LCD.

Will pop some 150ohm resistors in next time I do the cable. Until then I shall wear sunglasses. 8-)
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Are you using CSYNC or B&H sync ? Try both either way.. see what happens... IIRC my old TV's never used to work right with seperate H&V sync. But like mentioned before, the voltage might just be out of spec to work on the monitor.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

My cable is wired for CSync at the moment if I remember correctly.

Will see if I have any more plugs etc to make another but you know how much we love soldering monitor plugs.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Just looking at the floppy circuit, can't find anything wrong yet (only just got home) but I didn't connected DRIVE1 select to the floppy cable... AFAIK 2 floppy drives on the same cable has never even been tried, but I am assuming it doesn't need the second line for "drive 1" anyway...

I'm also assuming i've not confused drive0/1 select up on the internal cable as well.. I don't think so....

EDIT:
DRIVE1 isn't connected on the MEGA ST on the internal cable.. So that can't be the problem...
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
troed

Post by troed »

exxos wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:23 pmAFAIK 2 floppy drives on the same cable has never even been tried
I'm running both an internal floppy as well as an internal HxC off the single cable in my STE. DS0/DS1 (wires 10 and 12) and a single MOTOR ON works just fine.
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Icky »

exxos wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:23 pm Just looking at the floppy circuit, can't find anything wrong yet (only just got home) but I didn't connected DRIVE1 select to the floppy cable... AFAIK 2 floppy drives on the same cable has never even been tried, but I am assuming it doesn't need the second line for "drive 1" anyway...

I'm also assuming i've not confused drive0/1 select up on the internal cable as well.. I don't think so....

EDIT:
DRIVE1 isn't connected on the MEGA ST on the internal cable.. So that can't be the problem...
I just tried an external drive and that isn't recognised at all as a drive.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Might be a idea to scope out the RDY line.. I've had a lot of trouble with that on the STE..

I took a quick look at the audio amp, its actually got more gain than the original ST amp :shrug:

Return to “ALPHA USER BUILDS”