Icky - Progress

Where Alpha builders can post pics and progress etc
User avatar
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 4593
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:19 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Icky - Progress

Post by exxos » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:17 pm

:bravo:

I'm still hunting for blitters... not going well...

I have a WIP theory that there are some blitters somewhere, just nobody is selling them because they are "old" like 30 years and they assuming they will not work... I am still checking on this, but not holding out much hope...
4MB STFM 1.44 FD- VELOCE+ 020 STE - 4MB STE 32MHz - STFM 16MHz - STM - MEGA ST - Falcon 030 CT60 - Atari 2600 - Atari 7800 - Gigafile - SD Floppy Emulator - PeST - HxC - CosmosEx - Ultrasatan - various clutter

https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.

User avatar
PaulJ
Posts: 223
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:14 am
Location: USA

Re: Icky - Progress

Post by PaulJ » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:16 pm

Icky wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:35 am
Latest update - things to do:
  • Fixed WD1772 Buffer board but still need another DIL socket in the stack for me to be comfortable with it. Board works fine and I feel better about transferring files between HDD and Floppy. viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1260&start=110#p13232
  • Have gotten hold of some printed spacers thanks to Forgottenmyname for the design and printing. These will be a big help in stabilising the Un-f*ck boards and in particular the floppy one as the connector is tight, there is a need for some considerable force to push in and pull out. This will help to stop me pulling the board and bending the pins :)
  • SR98 PSU I have been using needs to go through a recap and due to the 3W resistor getting way to hot replacing all the metal film resistors too. viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1327
  • Waiting for the TL7705 to arrive to build and plug in the reset board. viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1234&start=10#p13044
  • Have ordered a Blitter (Glitter) from Best and currently it's stuck in the import process and have just been notified by HM Customs that they have raised a charge for the goods so its going to take longer. Socket is in place waiting patiently for it.
Icky, sounds like its harder for your side of the pond ordering here than it is for us to get stuff from Europe!! Once in while I'll get a small extra charge on the ole credit card but that's been about it. Ordering anything from France takes forever. In the USA ordering from Best is really quick... two days.. sometimes three. They really have quick shipping!

User avatar
Icky
Trusted Guru
Trusted Guru
Posts: 680
Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:57 am
Location: UK

Re: Icky - Progress

Post by Icky » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:56 pm

exxos wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:17 pm
:bravo:

I'm still hunting for blitters... not going well...

I have a WIP theory that there are some blitters somewhere, just nobody is selling them because they are "old" like 30 years and they assuming they will not work... I am still checking on this, but not holding out much hope...
Fingers crossed you do find that pot of gold :)

User avatar
Icky
Trusted Guru
Trusted Guru
Posts: 680
Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:57 am
Location: UK

Re: Icky - Progress

Post by Icky » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:57 pm

PaulJ wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:16 pm
Icky, sounds like its harder for your side of the pond ordering here than it is for us to get stuff from Europe!! Once in while I'll get a small extra charge on the ole credit card but that's been about it. Ordering anything from France takes forever. In the USA ordering from Best is really quick... two days.. sometimes three. They really have quick shipping!
Thing that annoys me the most is that you pay additional shipping which is supposed to cover the import etc. and you still get clobbered for more money.

User avatar
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 4593
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:19 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Icky - Progress

Post by exxos » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:20 pm

What annoys me is that when I pay import taxes, they add tax on the value of the items, and it cost to post the item! They should not be adding import VAT onto shipping costs.. Frankly I think it's a disgrace and should be banned :evil: :evil:

For example if I paid some items which cost £100, I would get charged something like 20% import VAT, plus £10 for the privilege of them sending me the bill... But if the shipping was £70 I would get charged VAT on that as well, so another £14..

So a actual value item of £100 ends up costing me £44 in charges! :evil: :evil:
4MB STFM 1.44 FD- VELOCE+ 020 STE - 4MB STE 32MHz - STFM 16MHz - STM - MEGA ST - Falcon 030 CT60 - Atari 2600 - Atari 7800 - Gigafile - SD Floppy Emulator - PeST - HxC - CosmosEx - Ultrasatan - various clutter

https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.

User avatar
Icky
Trusted Guru
Trusted Guru
Posts: 680
Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:57 am
Location: UK

Re: Icky - Progress

Post by Icky » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:22 pm

exxos wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:20 pm
What annoys me is that when I pay import taxes, they add tax on the value of the items, and it cost to post the item! They should not be adding import VAT onto shipping costs.. Frankly I think it's a disgrace and should be banned :evil: :evil:

For example if I paid some items which cost £100, I would get charged something like 20% import VAT, plus £10 for the privilege of them sending me the bill... But if the shipping was £70 I would get charged VAT on that as well, so another £14..

So a actual value item of £100 ends up costing me £44 in charges! :evil: :evil:
I hear you - very bad practice

troed
Trusted Guru
Trusted Guru
Posts: 450
Joined: Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:27 pm

Re: Icky - Progress

Post by troed » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:07 pm

PaulJ wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:16 pm
In the USA ordering from Best is really quick... two days.. sometimes three. They really have quick shipping!
Yeah I'm going to start just ordering stuff to our US office and pick it up whenever I'm over. I was just looking through a few things at Best and they're not _that_ expensive. At least not on everything.

Forgottenmyname
Trusted Guru
Trusted Guru
Posts: 553
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:22 pm

Re: Icky - Progress

Post by Forgottenmyname » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:13 pm

troed wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:07 pm
PaulJ wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:16 pm
In the USA ordering from Best is really quick... two days.. sometimes three. They really have quick shipping!
Yeah I'm going to start just ordering stuff to our US office and pick it up whenever I'm over. I was just looking through a few things at Best and they're not _that_ expensive. At least not on everything.
Actually that's a good idea. I need to order some brake callipers for my Corvette, maybe head office can send them to me with the other spare parts :D

User avatar
Icky
Trusted Guru
Trusted Guru
Posts: 680
Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:57 am
Location: UK

Re: Icky - Progress

Post by Icky » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:46 pm

:mad: - customs just charged me import tax and a clearance fee to get my Blitter. More than half of the the original cost.

The clearance fee alone is £12

User avatar
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 4593
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:19 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Icky - Progress

Post by exxos » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:48 pm

Icky wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:46 pm
:mad: - customs just charged me import tax and a clearance fee to get my Blitter. More than half of the the original cost.

The clearance fee alone is £12
Damn :( I'm not getting anywhere fast in the hunt for blitters either :(
4MB STFM 1.44 FD- VELOCE+ 020 STE - 4MB STE 32MHz - STFM 16MHz - STM - MEGA ST - Falcon 030 CT60 - Atari 2600 - Atari 7800 - Gigafile - SD Floppy Emulator - PeST - HxC - CosmosEx - Ultrasatan - various clutter

https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.

Post Reply