Icky - Progress

Where Alpha builders can post pics and progress etc
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Icky - Progress

Post by Icky »

terriblefire wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:54 pm How are things going.. do we have a current list of required patches? Is there anything I can add to DiagROM to help out?

I've not had a chance to start my build yet.. but i have been clearing the decks so i can start. Is it worth it with this revision?
Hi Terriblefire.

Exxos has a list of patches here https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/forum/viewt ... =19&t=1185

I think from my perspective its been the video thats my problem. As Exxos mentions I need to get that sorted so I can actually see where I am.

I have only been reading the DiagROM thread briefly. I guess from my experience here it would be good to see each step in the start up where the board gets to and where it is halting or reseting.
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

Icky wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:08 pm Exxos has a list of patches here https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/forum/viewt ... =19&t=1185
Perfect.
I have only been reading the DiagROM thread briefly. I guess from my experience here it would be good to see each step in the start up where the board gets to and where it is halting or reseting.
DiagROM should do that for you. I am actually happy to build a specific fork for this STF Remake. I did this when I make my CD32 accelerator and it cut the time to figure out issues by years. The early startup tests do not need ram.. they use registers for function return calls. So it can diagnose early problems.

A sample of what they do ..

Code: Select all

[ @���U

Garbage before this text was binary numbers: 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 240, 15, 170 and 85
To help you find biterrors to the mfp. Now starting normal startuptext etc

Atari DiagROM V0.9 - 16-Sep-18
 - By Stephen J. Leary
 - Based on the Amiga Version By John (Chucky/The Gang) Hertell

- Parallel Code $ff - Start of ROM, CPU Seems somewhat alive
 - Resetting all hardware (RESET instruction):   Done.
 - Reinitialising Video ($10000): Done.
 - Sending reset to keyboard controller (IKBD Reset): Done.
- Parallel Code $fe - Test UDS/LDS line
 - Test of writing word $FFFF to $400 OK.
 - Test of writing word $00FF to $400 OK.
 - Test of writing word $FF00 to $400 OK.
 - Test of writing word $0000 to $400 OK.
 - Test of writing byte (even) $ff to $400 OK.
 - Test of writing byte (odd) $ff to $401 OK.
- Parallel Code $fd - Start of chipmemdetection
  - Performing MMU Configuration: $08 Done.

Addr $00080400   OK  Number of 32K blocks found: $10
Startaddr: $00000400 Endaddr: $00080000
- Parallel Code $fb - Memorydetection done
- Parallel Code $fc - Start of motherboard fastmemdetection
Detecting if we have a working raster: DETECTED
Detected Chipmem: 512KB
If there is a useful thing i can make it do and then report on serial port let me know. Happy to add.
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
indicates how much hurting you shall receive."
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Icky »

terriblefire wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:18 pm DiagROM should do that for you. I am actually happy to build a specific fork for this STF Remake. I did this when I make my CD32 accelerator and it cut the time to figure out issues by years. The early startup tests do not need ram.. they use registers for function return calls. So it can diagnose early problems.

If there is a useful thing i can make it do and then report on serial port let me know. Happy to add.
Oooh that looks interesting. I must read more. I think the serial port hasn't been tested yet on the board as its new circuitry so I think we need to get that up and working to see if this can help with the board.
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Icky »

exxos wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:21 pm
Icky wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:18 pm OK - I found some bad soldering on the RP6. I cleaned it up and now I am getting bombs but the screen is still all over the place. Let me attach a video
OK.. might be idea to measure resistance on each CPU pin and make sure you read something to VCC.. (IE 2.2K)
Just measured and all the pins have the correct pull-up resistance as per the RP's they are connected to.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Icky wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:03 pm Just measured and all the pins have the correct pull-up resistance as per the RP's they are connected to.
Should be ok now then... I checked a heck of a lot of stuff on the schematics last night and couldn't find anything wrong anywhere now.. not saying my checking is good, but once we get your video stable.. we should be able to make a better leap forward...
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Icky »

exxos wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:05 pm Should be ok now then... I checked a heck of a lot of stuff on the schematics last night and couldn't find anything wrong anywhere now.. not saying my checking is good, but once we get your video stable.. we should be able to make a better leap forward...
Yes it was an epic adventure yesterday.

I'm going to try and get some images of the waveforms from HSYNC, VSYNC etc on the STF and then if I can get round to it some off of my original STM as well.

If I leave the STF running I do see it keep cycling (rebooting) every 1-2 minutes.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Icky wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:30 pm I'm going to try and get some images of the waveforms from HSYNC, VSYNC etc on the STF and then if I can get round to it some off of my original STM as well.
If I leave the STF running I do see it keep cycling (rebooting) every 1-2 minutes.
If we can compare against a working machine, then it will help us diagnose things. If we can get your video stable, you could probably try diagrom, and see if something fails to setup..

My "bag of bits" arrived at the assembly place today, they suggest I may get it back sometime next week.. so I can join in the fun then as well :)
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

exxos wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:34 pm My "bag of bits" arrived at the assembly place today, they suggest I may get it back sometime next week.. so I can join in the fun then as well :)
Cool, looking forward to you getting yours. I may crack open my Mega so that I've got something to copy as well.
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Icky »

exxos wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:09 am Also check V&H sync voltages and waveforms, and also check CSYNC voltages vs a working ST...
So this is weird - since I have been getting the bombs after finding the RP6 not being soldered correctly looking at the waveforms on STF Remake board its like it thinks its in High res mode with these frequencies.

HSYNC = 35.8kHz

DS1Z_QuickPrint1.png
DS1Z_QuickPrint1.png (42.35 KiB) Viewed 4133 times

VSYNC = 49.7Hz then 71.2Hz

When the board first boots and I have white screen and see bombs

DS1Z_QuickPrint5.png
DS1Z_QuickPrint5.png (40.88 KiB) Viewed 4133 times

When its in the black wavy picture out of sync after bombs

DS1Z_QuickPrint3.png
DS1Z_QuickPrint3.png (41.9 KiB) Viewed 4133 times
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Icky »

Just for kicks i plugged in a high res adaptor into the board and measured the HSYNC

HSYNC = 15.6kHz

DS1Z_QuickPrint2.png
DS1Z_QuickPrint2.png (46.99 KiB) Viewed 4102 times

Its like the hi-res select line is selecting the frequencies the wrong way round. i.e. with scart cable in its setting the board to hi-res frequencies and when plugging in a hi-res vga cable its setting the board to low-res frequencies

Return to “ALPHA USER BUILDS”