Icky - Progress

Where Alpha builders can post pics and progress etc
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Icky - Progress

Post by Icky »

Forgottenmyname wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:32 pm Please could you show me the pinout you used?

It might be incompatible with my FTDI guess, so can try a usb-serial later on.
This is what I ended up with. My USB to Serial has a male 25 pin and the STF has a male 25 pin. Therefore I wired two female 25 pin sockets together like this - hope this helps:

Screen Shot 2018-09-23 at 19.50.01.png
Screen Shot 2018-09-23 at 19.50.01.png (128.27 KiB) Viewed 3452 times
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

Ok, thanks Icky, I only connected Rx,TX and Gnd, will try the rest too but with a not so bodged cable.
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Icky »

rpineau wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:15 pm so I6 (IPL 6) is the MFP. "No (I6) error" ..looks like MFP interrupt handler are ok.
Thanks rpineau

One more step closer :)

With serial working, all we now need is the DiagROM which should arrive from Exxos tomorrow - fingers crossed.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

So, as suspected, a NULL modem cable.
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Icky »

stephen_usher wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:56 pm So, as suspected, a NULL modem cable.
Indeed - one and the same :)
czietz

Post by czietz »

rpineau wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:15 pm so I6 (IPL 6) is the MFP. "No (I6) error" ..looks like MFP interrupt handler are ok.
I6 is simply the 6th test during initialization. It has nothing to do with IPL6 or the MFP interrupts! In fact, this step simply tests that a write to $0 causes a bus error. After that, the diagnostic cartridge will enable interrupts and will go on printing "Testing MFP, Glue timing, Video". When it shows "E7 Spurious interrupt" instead, this means that an interrupt was signaled to the CPU but no device responded to the interrupt acknowledge. I suppose this could happen when at least on the IPL lines to the CPU is stuck low.
rpineau

Post by rpineau »

Ok, my mistake :)
:hide:
Working ones : MegaSTE (68020) / TT030 / Falcon with AB040 & Eclipse / 1040STF
Need testing : Falcon with CT2
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Spurious Interrupt either means something on the bus is corrupting the data on the bus and running the wrong interrupt (my thoughts for the ACIA as I have had that issue with my boosters), or the interrupt vector hasn't been set in RAM. I don't know much about how all that stuff works though. I think the fault was autovector issues, but can't remember if the cart said auto vector or not. I did know more about this stuff while doing the SEC code, but mostly forgot how it all works now :(

I6 should never get triggered. With my SEC booster, the ACIA cycles were causing issues corrupting the bus and ended in I6 errors. So for some reason we are running I6 when we shouldn't be.. The corrupt data on screen hints to corruption somewhere..

We ruled out the ACIA conflicts at least. It shard to know where or what to look for, though could be something relating to the MFP circuit.

Code: Select all

Exception Vectors
 $000  Initial SSP value after reset
$004  Initial PC address after reset
$008  Bus error vector
$00C  Address error vector
$010  Illegal instruction vector
$014  Divide by zero vector
$018  Check instruction vector
$01C  Trapv instruction vector
$020  Privilege violation vector
$024  Trace vector
$028  Line 0101
$02C  Line 1111
----  Reserved ($30-$5F)
$060  Spurious interrupt (level 6)
$064  Interrupt level 1 (HBL)
$068  Interrupt level 2 (HBL)
$06C  Interrupt level 3 (processor interrupt)
$070  Interrupt level 4 (VBL)
$074  Interrupt level 5
$078  Interrupt level 6 (MFP interrupts)
$07C  Interrupt level 7 (non-maskable interrupt)
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Icky »

exxos wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:08 pm We ruled out the ACIA conflicts at least. It shard to know where or what to look for, though could be something relating to the MFP circuit.

Code: Select all

Exception Vectors
$060  Spurious interrupt (level 6)
$078  Interrupt level 6 (MFP interrupts)
I took your suggestions and started looking at the MFP on an original STFM. I noticed a few pull-ups missing especially the IRQ pin 32 on the MFP.

I did that pull-up with a 1K as I wanted to see if this was part of the problem and .......

We have a green desktop - although still with the glitches

exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

:bravo:

I will check the pull ups tomorrow again. I didn't see I missed any but obviously you are on the right track there!

I don't get the odd graphics problems though. Its like the shifter is getting bad data for some reason. It must be pretty good on ram access to even get to the desktop though..odd.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.

Return to “ALPHA USER BUILDS”