Icky - Progress

Where Alpha builders can post pics and progress etc
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Icky - Progress

Post by exxos »

Can you get the diagnostic cart menu up now? Can you move the mouse with keyboard ?
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Icky »

exxos wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:14 am :bravo:

I will check the pull ups tomorrow again. I didn't see I missed any but obviously you are on the right track there!

I don't get the odd graphics problems though. Its like the shifter is getting bad data for some reason. It must be pretty good on ram access to even get to the desktop though..odd.
Thanks Exxos. I am wondering if one of my chips is not behaving correctly? I have replaced MFP with a brand new one. I have a spare GLUE, Shifter so might swap them over to see if that makes a difference.

Any how - here are the Diag Carts outputs from all tests. I don't have the keyboard connected or floppy:

Code: Select all

Testing Ram
4M RAM  Pass
ROM checksum test
Pass                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  Keyboard test
K1 Keyboard not responding
Fail at cycle:000001

Testing MIDI
M2 MIDI framing
M4 MIDI data overrun

Testing RS232 loopback
No loopback connector

Listen for low to high sweep:
Channel AChannel BChannel C
Testing MFP, Glue timing, Video
Pass 
DMA Port Test
D1 DMA count error
D3 DMA not responding

Printer/Joystick Port test
J2 Joystick time-out

Checking...
No floppies 

Q Tests CompletedCycle: 000001
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

By the looks of things ram and ROM are working fine then. I guess the thing next is to try the floppy drive and see if you can see a demo booting or not. Then we know the DMA circuit is working correctly then. Also needed to check audio ;)
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Icky »

exxos wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:25 am By the looks of things ram and ROM are working fine then. I guess the thing next is to try the floppy drive and see if you can see a demo booting or not. Then we know the DMA circuit is working correctly then. Also needed to check audio ;)
Only done some initial tests as its late.

Swapped Shifter and Glue over and am still getting the glitches.

Plugged keyboard in and mouse - no joy do we need to re-enable the ACIAs or leave them with as they are with the CS and E tied to 0V.

Sound works I got sound from cart sound demo.

Floppy does not work.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Ah yep you need to enable the acia for the keyboard to work.
troed

Post by troed »

Wow!!!

Note on RAM access: The Shifter might have glitchy RAM access without that affecting the CPU RAM access. The latter obviously is fine else we wouldn't see Desktop.
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

WOW, talk about leaving me behind!

Will be away for a couple of days but will be reading with interest. Well done you two :D
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Icky »

Forgottenmyname wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:08 am WOW, talk about leaving me behind!

Will be away for a couple of days but will be reading with interest. Well done you two :D
Not really left you far behind - just solder a 1K between pin 11 and pin 32 across the top of the MFP. I think there are a couple of additional pull-ups to add. Am still checking the original STFM.

It’s been a great team effort from us to get this far and fun too.
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Icky »

troed wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:54 am Wow!!!

Note on RAM access: The Shifter might have glitchy RAM access without that affecting the CPU RAM access. The latter obviously is fine else we wouldn't see Desktop.
Thanks troed

More fault finding to do. Chasing down this screen glitch is the main one for me now. To show a stable desktop is the goal.

I’ll take a look around your suggestion.
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

Icky wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:19 am Not really left you far behind - just solder a 1K between pin 11 and pin 32 across the top of the MFP. I think there are a couple of additional pull-ups to add. Am still checking the original STFM.

It’s been a great team effort from us to get this far and fun too.
Fair enough then. Will do that in a bit before my trip to Burnley.
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.

Return to “ALPHA USER BUILDS”