PaulJ Progress

Where Alpha builders can post pics and progress etc
rpineau

Re: PaulJ Progress

Post by rpineau »

Well.... I'm originally from Europe but live in USA now :) (and have been for the last 19 years). So see.. you're not alone :)

The Atari ST was a HUGE success in Europe (and the subsequent Atari machines).
Working ones : MegaSTE (68020) / TT030 / Falcon with AB040 & Eclipse / 1040STF
Need testing : Falcon with CT2
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

exxos wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:01 pm Thanks for playing Atari today! :lol:
OK, I checked into the cart failure on the parallel port. Today I had a solid failure of bit four. See attachment. When I connected to the chip directly it looked better but not right. Investigation showed no connection on pin 9 of the 2149. So I just jumped it an the world is good. Parallel port always passes now.

First attachment: with jump parallel connector pin 6 jumper to 2149 pin 9
Second pic: sampled at pin 9 2149
Third: As build no jumpers, doesn't work.
Fourth: Results with atcha_1: works 100% now.

Everyone should check parallel port pin 6 to 2149 pin 9 with an ohm meter. If open jumper. I haven't checked the pc board layout images yet.
Attachments
p3.jpg
p3.jpg (178.95 KiB) Viewed 3922 times
p2.jpg
p2.jpg (189.85 KiB) Viewed 3922 times
p1.png
p1.png (102.59 KiB) Viewed 3922 times
1 (1).jpg
1 (1).jpg (1.77 MiB) Viewed 3922 times
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Icky »

PaulJ wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:42 pm
exxos wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:01 pm Thanks for playing Atari today! :lol:
OK, I checked into the cart failure on the parallel port. Today I had a solid failure of bit four. See attachment. When I connected to the chip directly it looked better but not right. Investigation showed no connection on pin 9 of the 2149. So I just jumped it an the world is good. Parallel port always passes now.

First attachment: with jump parallel connector pin 6 jumper to 2149 pin 9
Second pic: sampled at pin 9 2149
Third: As build no jumpers, doesn't work.
Fourth: Results with atcha_1: works 100% now.

Everyone should check parallel port pin 6 to 2149 pin 9 with an ohm meter. If open jumper. I haven't checked the pc board layout images yet.
Great work PaulJ.

Just checked the layout and indeed those pins are not connected. Missing track. You have found the next patch.
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

:goodpost:

Well done PaulJ
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Great find!

Here is why...

pin9.JPG
pin9.JPG (52.83 KiB) Viewed 3910 times
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

Ah, that explains it then. It's one of my most common cock ups when I use Eagle too.
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Forgottenmyname wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:41 pm Ah, that explains it then. It's one of my most common cock ups when I use Eagle too.
What really pi**es me off with eagle is it always defaults the grid to 2.54 rather than saving the grid I last used in the file. So every time I open eagle, or the lib editor etc, I have to change the grid every time. I can end up doing it like 50 times a week. So then the nets don't snap to the pad and sometimes I forget to change it or so tired I just don't notice the snap is off :roll:
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
rpineau

Post by rpineau »

My version save the grid used in a schematics (7.7 on OS X).
but yea older version had that issue that was annoying.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

rpineau wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:24 am My version save the grid used in a schematics (7.7 on OS X).
but yea older version had that issue that was annoying.
I think I have used 7.7 on windows and that doesn't save the grid :( got annoyed with eagle when they changed the icons, was some hacks to put back a similar old set.. But got sick of them messing with it all. Companies never seem to have anything better to do than change icons about :roll: they even moved some icons, like same location for years and they suddenly decide to move a few about.. Whyyyyy ??? I don't wanna go looking for icons, it should be where its always been and look like it always been, not spend 10mins trying to figure out what icon now does what each click :roll:
rpineau

Post by rpineau »

Because they got bought by AutoDesk .. which then went on pissing-off all of their current customer by moving to a subscription model where it would cost me more by year that what I paid for my hobbyist license ...

Return to “ALPHA USER BUILDS”