PaulJ Progress

Where Alpha builders can post pics and progress etc
PaulJ

Re: PaulJ Progress

Post by PaulJ »

Icky, I was just reading your last post and I would say no lead solder can take a person with soldering skills and reduce them to a newbie. I would never try to solder this board with no lead. There maybe no lead that acts fine but I have never found it though I haven't tried that hard. Couple of attempts were enough for me. In a commercial enviornment they buy all the right stuff for no lead. Another thing that helps is to have someone in front finding the issues before you get there. Its like riding a bike drafting on another rider! :D :D :D Thanks guys!! I only had to find one but the worst issue for me was the assumption that using the old OPTO was good. . Serial and mouse worked with the cart but not with TOS!
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

Been playing with the Ultra Satan all day and the machine is running with no anomaly's. I've soft loaded TOS2.06 and every thing's good. Been doing a lot of copying so I have a good flash card for this machine. Gotten so brave to stick in my master to copy stuff off of..
1.jpg
1.jpg (2.48 MiB) Viewed 3828 times
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

PaulJ wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:26 pm Been playing with the Ultra Satan all day and the machine is running with no anomaly's. I've soft loaded TOS2.06 and every thing's good. Been doing a lot of copying so I have a good flash card for this machine. Gotten so brave to stick in my master to copy stuff off of..
:dualthumbup:

Great we have no DMA issues on this thing! At least not yet... :lol: It will be me who has them.. wait and see :roll: :lol:
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

exxos wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:33 pm
PaulJ wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:26 pm Been playing with the Ultra Satan all day and the machine is running with no anomaly's. I've soft loaded TOS2.06 and every thing's good. Been doing a lot of copying so I have a good flash card for this machine. Gotten so brave to stick in my master to copy stuff off of..
:dualthumbup:

Great we have no DMA issues on this thing! At least not yet... :lol: It will be me who has them.. wait and see :roll: :lol:
This board is as solid as the normal 1040 and I like the presentation better. Hopefully all the boards work as well!
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Icky »

PaulJ wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:13 am This board is as solid as the normal 1040 and I like the presentation better. Hopefully all the boards work as well!
I agree PaulJ. Since solving all my issues I have had the board running all the time. The only time it’s crashed is due to dodgy software I have tried to run on it.
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

Icky wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:44 am
PaulJ wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:13 am This board is as solid as the normal 1040 and I like the presentation better. Hopefully all the boards work as well!
I agree PaulJ. Since solving all my issues I have had the board running all the time. The only time it’s crashed is due to dodgy software I have tried to run on it.
Good to see you have got all your issues sorted. Once you get a number questionable parts in the mix it gets much more difficult to get it all working. Also using no lead solder makes it a lot more difficult to get good solder joints. I've attempted to change components on a ROHS board and couldn't get the replace to take solder on the board even with lots of flux. For me I'll stick with lead.. been using it my entire life why change now.

I suspect I'll have to put in the Bllitter at some point, it make such a difference in perforance. Looks like I'll have to get one from Best, been unable to locate one anywhere else.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Icky Found somewhere on aliexpress and ordered one, I have actually emailed them to ask how many they have in stock, but so far they seem to not really understand the question I am asking them :roll: I am not really looking to buy them at that price, just curious to know how many they actually have..
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Icky »

exxos wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:33 pm Icky Found somewhere on aliexpress and ordered one, I have actually emailed them to ask how many they have in stock, but so far they seem to not really understand the question I am asking them :roll: I am not really looking to buy them at that price, just curious to know how many they actually have..
5000+ they have listed as in stock on the site seems a lot.

I envisage a long protracted dispute looming
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Icky wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:17 pm 5000+ they have listed as in stock on the site seems a lot.
I doubt it, if they had that many they wouldn't be £20 each. They may have 1 or 2 at best is my guess.
Icky wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:17 pm I envisage a long protracted dispute looming
Most probably.. but never know.
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

exxos wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:24 pm
Icky wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:17 pm 5000+ they have listed as in stock on the site seems a lot.
I doubt it, if they had that many they wouldn't be £20 each. They may have 1 or 2 at best is my guess.
Icky wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:17 pm I envisage a long protracted dispute looming
Most probably.. but never know.
Ya know I've had a bad month for assumptions. :dizzy: I want to be able to use an HDMI monitor for the Atari's.. did a little research and the OSSC looks interesting. YUP 135 Euro's.. + misc 157, did the math... 181 dollars so did a shop safe from Bank of America for 200 dollars.

Shop safe is a service for a one time one use credit card number where your set the money limit and time span its valid for. So here we go.. I place the order and half hour later I get an email from BoA saying they just took a charge for $209.70 dollars from this company in GB.. So first I call BoA and say what's up.. this charge exceeded my $200.00 limit? Oh at our discretion we can add 10% to the limit, sometimes people are too stupid to add in taxes and postage!! But no where in the shop safe description do they say that!.. Ok live and learn. So I email the OSSC people and say HEY.. 157 Euros is $181.00 dollars.. what gives? And they tell me OH, its not Euro's ITS pounds sterling!! Haw I THOUGHT GB was still using Euros.. NO FOOL ITS POUNDS!!. So I run right over to Exxos and check.. sure enough theres that little symbol I'm not sure I can even make on this keyboard.

So I I got an education yesterday..FOOL, LOOK AT THE LITTLE SYMBOL in FRONT of the number!!! SHesh..

So my question is GB was using Euro's right? Your not complety out of European Union yet.. right And if so when did you switch back to pounds. Guess I'm wandering around in the fog. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

WTF: :chairsmack: :chairsmack: :chairsmack:

Return to “ALPHA USER BUILDS”