Sandord - progress

Where Alpha builders can post pics and progress etc
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Sandord - progress

Post by Icky »

Forgottenmyname wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:29 pm You can check the solder sucker by putting it on your finger and then activating it. You should feel the suction.

Typically I've found that the o ring on the front is a weak point and its likely here that you are losing suction. Obviously the plunger has to be clean and in good condition as well.
Great minds think a like :D
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

Icky wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:31 pm
Great minds think a like :D
Nah, you're just psychic :D
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Brute force maximum speed for me, I used a heatgun. :evil: 8-)

Everyone used to do that in my old job.. Heat gun the part , they used to use the same YM chip.., lift it out, smack the PCB on the bench and all the solder would fall out of the holes, smack a new chip in , soldering got so fast could solder a 40 pin chip in 5 seconds easily. We could change a 40pin chip in like 30 seconds.

Funny story when I went for my first interview at my old job, had to change a chip... Boss was talking to another guy across the bench.. Like 1 min later... Done... Boss saying I want you to change that chip... I said I done it.. He said no you ain't where's the old chip... Said its there look... Boss said you just found that lay on bench.. Said no I bloody ain't, I just change the chip like you told me to... Then boss had to get a second opinion that I had actually changed it...fun times..not. :lol:

The second job interview at another company was even better... They actually manufactured a switchmode PSU, which I knew all about... Had to explain to 2 boss people how it works and what faults it suffers with... Have a guess how that went :twisted: :twisted:

I don't think manufactures really liked me much for some reason...
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
sandord

Post by sandord »

Icky wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:08 pm Unfortunately looks like its more than doubled in price from when I got mine - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002MJMXD4
I just ordered one of those. Looks much better than what I currently have and the flexible tip/hose sounds like a huge improvement, especially being able to easily replace it -- the tip of my current sucker is already wearing off.
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Icky »

sandord wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:51 am
Icky wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:08 pm Unfortunately looks like its more than doubled in price from when I got mine - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002MJMXD4
I just ordered one of those. Looks much better than what I currently have and the flexible tip/hose sounds like a huge improvement, especially being able to easily replace it -- the tip of my current sucker is already wearing off.
Just used mine to desolder the floppy patch cables from the board ready for the floppy patch board and all the holes are clean :)
sandord

Post by sandord »

I've got my Engineer Solder Socker in the mail today.

I'm afraid I'm doing something wrong though because I can't get any clean holes from the chips :roll:
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

You may need to put plenty of flux on the pins, and have the iron nice and hot. I desolder at around 400C. Then the solder sucker has to pretty much fit round the pin whilst you are heating it. So my Solder sucker is melted to fit shall we say.
sandord

Post by sandord »

Forgottenmyname wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:57 pm You may need to put plenty of flux on the pins, and have the iron nice and hot. I desolder at around 400C. Then the solder sucker has to pretty much fit round the pin whilst you are heating it. So my Solder sucker is melted to fit shall we say.
Ah, thanks. I hadn't added any flux, I somehow associated that only with using wick.
Let's try again...
sandord

Post by sandord »

Okay, I'm getting 25% success rate now (pin can be moved freely).
35% looks open but pin can't be moved, 40% stays closed (mostly pins that are connected to a large(r) plane).
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

What I have had to do at times with old circuit boards is remove all that you can, then desolder the joint and then whilst the solder is still liquid, resuck it back out. Also you'll find that moving the pin from one side of the hole to the other may help with your level of success.

Return to “ALPHA USER BUILDS”