Terriblefire Accelerators

Help & news on accelerators from TF, Amiga, Atari, CD32 etc

Moderators: terriblefire, Terriblefire Moderator

terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: Terriblefire Accelerators

Post by terriblefire »

alenppc wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:20 pm From the logic point of view, how is SDRAM different from regular DRAM? I assume you still have to do all the refresh cycles. So for example, is it possible to reuse routines from the TF328 DRAM design?
No. Its very different. I'm starting from my Archie core for this.
8 Bit Dreams wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:53 pm Correct,
SRAM doesn't need refresh between each cycle, you can have what you write in it immediately, where SDRAM needs refresh between each cycle, so it needs to be clocked on double speed compared to CPU (100Mhz for RAM @50Mhz CPU)...

SDRAM needs a refresh 8192 times per 64ms for the ram i've chosen. So basically i inject a refresh every 64 14Mhz clocks. The reason i use that is so that i dont need big counters. Big counters eat CPLD space for breakfast.
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
indicates how much hurting you shall receive."
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

The prototype boards have shipped. I guess I’m bringing up a CD32 accelerator this December.

Two questions for knowledgeable Amiga types. What’s the easiest way to get quake on a CF card? And what’s the easiest network stack for use with a modem? MiamiDX?
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
alenppc
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by alenppc »

terriblefire wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:55 pm The prototype boards have shipped. I guess I’m bringing up a CD32 accelerator this December.

Two questions for knowledgeable Amiga types. What’s the easiest way to get quake on a CF card? And what’s the easiest network stack for use with a modem? MiamiDX?
I don't think there is much hope of getting Quake to run on 68030, it's even slow on 68060. However, NovaCoder has made a decent AGA port that you can find on Aminet and the relevant thread is on EAB. You just need the PAK files from the PC version.

The best network stack (also the most up to date one/the easiest to use) is RoadShow but I have no clue how it is in terms of modem support.
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

alenppc wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:30 pm
terriblefire wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:55 pm The prototype boards have shipped. I guess I’m bringing up a CD32 accelerator this December.

I don't think there is much hope of getting Quake to run on 68030, it's even slow on 68060. However, NovaCoder has made a decent AGA port that you can find on Aminet and the relevant thread is on EAB. You just need the PAK files from the PC version.

The best network stack (also the most up to date one/the easiest to use) is RoadShow but I have no clue how it is in terms of modem support.
It wont run well. But running at all is the goal. I wanted to see if payback worked too.

I'll take a look at roadshow. I have the easynet cd but its shit.
———
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

The roadshow demo worked with winuae with zero setup. I think this is my guy.
———
alenppc
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by alenppc »

Ok just realized the latest TF530 firmware doesn't work properly at 25 mhz, no issues whatsoever at 33 Mhz and up however.
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

alenppc wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:15 pm Ok just realized the latest TF530 firmware doesn't work properly at 25 mhz, no issues whatsoever at 33 Mhz and up however.
Ok i'll investigate tomorrow. Its possible there are too many delays in there.
———
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

alenppc wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:15 pm Ok just realized the latest TF530 firmware doesn't work properly at 25 mhz, no issues whatsoever at 33 Mhz and up however.
OK. New beta available. give it a whirl.

https://github.com/terriblefire/terribl ... 7_beta.zip
———
alenppc
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by alenppc »

Ok, the 25 Mhz now works but I haven't tried other frequencies. Thanks!
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

alenppc wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:29 pm Ok, the 25 Mhz now works but I haven't tried other frequencies. Thanks!
I've tested the R2 @ 50Mhz on the 2000.

I also finished my first rough cut of the SDRAM port with testbenches for the 330. Everything i need will be arriving on Tuesday. For those curious the total cost to build this prototype is circa £200.
———

Return to “Terriblefire's channel”