Re: Terriblefire Accelerators

Post by supaduper »

"Let the Terrible Fire out!" :)
8 Bit Dreams
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by 8 Bit Dreams »

Well, im afraid this SDRAM experiment will take time till it's up and running, if we are lucky - this will happen before Christmas, but if it's not - we have TF534 to offer (just need gerbers to order pcb's)

Card is working ( even more stable than TF530 in my opinion) on A500 and A2000 so this can be shipped out,
the only one thing i haven't tested - is SPI flash, but this doesn't affect stability in any way
Retro computer hardware & repair in Germany
alenppc
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by alenppc »

I am willing to build a few TF534s for the masses... doesn’t have to be for Christmas or any other arbitrary deadline, but it’s a nice and stable card so I’d say let’s roll with it!
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

alenppc wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:20 pm I am willing to build a few TF534s for the masses... doesn’t have to be for Christmas or any other arbitrary deadline, but it’s a nice and stable card so I’d say let’s roll with it!
Ok. I'll put the gerbers up this week.
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
indicates how much hurting you shall receive."
8 Bit Dreams
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by 8 Bit Dreams »

Excellent! :P
switching my soldering station on!
supaduper

Post by supaduper »

8 Bit Dreams wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:57 pm Excellent! :P
switching my soldering station on!
What ? you mean you turn yours off ? PMSL
8 Bit Dreams
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by 8 Bit Dreams »

Provided some TF info on www.a1k.org - both cards woke much interest,
some users want to get hands on TF534 and TF330 as soon as possible - got some PMs to add them in queue :)
Rejected for now, cause there can be some unexpected issues regarding SDRAM .. :)
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

8 Bit Dreams wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:09 pm Provided some TF info on www.a1k.org - both cards woke much interest,
some users want to get hands on TF534 and TF330 as soon as possible - got some PMs to add them in queue :)
Rejected for now, cause there can be some unexpected issues regarding SDRAM .. :)
I’ll say right now that the chances of rev1 working perfectly is slim to none. I’ve never got it 100% on the first try. But I think it’s better to pump out something and figure it out rather than sit looking at a design for months.

The TF534... I’m still torn. My argument against is that it’s one more variation to support going forward. And the SPI rom, while it works, isn’t working as intended yet.
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
EzdineG

Post by EzdineG »

terriblefire wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:17 pmThe TF534... I’m still torn. My argument against is that it’s one more variation to support going forward. And the SPI rom, while it works, isn’t working as intended yet.
Just signed up to post here. Hello, Stephen.

TF534: Shelve it, IMO. You know you wanna do it right; with that 32MB SDRAM controller you just stuffed into the TF330.
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

Just read through the A1K forum. Few moans about not enough RAM on the 534 and not enough caps on the TF330.

Let me address the caps thing. I’m aware I might need to put more caps on the Tf330. That will be a rev 2 thing. On the TF534 I put 1 cap per psu pin... total overkill. Thing runs systest for days with 90% of them missing. Plus I spec multllayer caps here. X7R. 100% required. If you just put standard 100nF caps on this will probably not work.

I’ve increased caps where I think I need it.. around the RAM basically. And I’ll plonk in more 0603s as I empirically figure out what’s needed.

For sure I’m at the low end. But the philosophy is LEAN. I.e maximise work NOT DONE. A new revision will be needed anyways so the bare minimum extra will get added then.

I don’t agree with Victorian engineering of putting 20 times what you need on things.
———

Return to “Terriblefire's channel”