Trusted CPU Suppliers Or Ones To Avoid

Help & news on accelerators from TF, Amiga, Atari, CD32 etc

Moderators: terriblefire, Terriblefire Moderator

go0se

Trusted CPU Suppliers Or Ones To Avoid

Post by go0se »

Can anyone recommend a supplier for MC68EC030RP40 CPUs, or tell me any to steer clear of? There are loads of sellers on eBay but I obviously can't tell if any of them are legitimate or just selling reprints. Pulls are fine as long as I can be confident they're authentic.

I got burnt previously when buying some RC50Cs and would like to avoid the same issue if possible.

I'm also looking for a couple of legitimate ceramic RC50Cs if anyone has any for sale or knows where I can get hold of a couple?

Cheers.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Trusted CPU Suppliers Or Ones To Avoid

Post by exxos »

If you can give me the full part numbers to look for & target price then I will ask my guy to source them, pretty much avoid anything China related, they just brokers buying stuff from the same craphouses.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
go0se

Post by go0se »

Cheers exxos,

I've sent you a message with the numbers.
chue

Post by chue »

Not a large sample size, but I purchased 2 from this eBay listing:

https://ebay.us/xy2qW2

Both were tested and ran at 40 mhz. Using a temperature gun, I measured one of the processors in an open A500 (no top) running Frontier, and it ran at 40 C.

Later on I burned in that processor by running the Frontier intro overnight. Again, the top of the A500 was off.
go0se

Post by go0se »

Cheers, I had a look at that listing before but was put off by one of the recent feedback comments suggesting that they were reprints. The whole thing is a bit of a minefield! :(
chue wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:30 am Not a large sample size, but I purchased 2 from this eBay listing:

Both were tested and ran at 40 mhz. Using a temperature gun, I measured one of the processors in an open A500 (no top) running Frontier, and it ran at 40 C.

Later on I burned in that processor by running the Frontier intro overnight. Again, the top of the A500 was off.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

go0se wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:12 pm Cheers, I had a look at that listing before but was put off by one of the recent feedback comments suggesting that they were reprints. The whole thing is a bit of a minefield! :(
The way to look at it is to think of a super warehouse in China with a huge mixup of stock from various locations and suppliers. Then all the people you see on evilbay,aliexpress etc Basically just "brokers" to that super warehouse. So generally what ever you buy from them, they will be buying them from the same super warehouse.

Then you have to imagine that super warehouses is buying in bulk amounts of chips, basically some pulled some scrap machines, some reprinted items, some simply fake items etc, the whole stock gets mixed up in the super warehouse. So any one particular supplier which may go bad with items, it is just a coincidence. For example if you were to buy 100 CPU's from one single supplier, it would likely be no different stock than buying 10 CPU's from 10 different suppliers.

Of course it is a lot more complicated, as there are pockets of stock out there which have again come from different suppliers. But what I say above is pretty much how things are. Then coincidentally, when one supplier runs out of stock, all the others 50+ sellers coincidentally go out of stock as well. This is why places like evilbay get flooded with many sellers of the same item, then one day the whole lot of them vanish and that item is never to be seen again listed anywhere.

Sorry I'm not much help, but you pretty much cannot trust any supplier out there.. Technically it is not the supplier at fault, they are just reselling the goods, they probably don't even know that what they are selling is junk.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
chue

Post by chue »

I look at it this way. Everything that is manufactured will have some rate of defect. Even if you buy new from an original manufacturer, there will be defects. So how does a buyer deal with this? I look at the seller, and make sure that they are willing to back up their product. In this case (from my link above), the seller gives a satisfaction guarantee. That is, they will refund the money if you are not satisfied.

For a small number of CPUs, I would just buy a few more than I needed, which would allow for a couple of bad CPUs. I would then get a refund for the bad ones.

Of course, this all depends on how many CPUs you are looking for, and whether you have the time to test and burn in those CPUs.
go0se

Post by go0se »

I appreciate that there is no ideal solution to this. I'm happy to take a chance with second hand pulls if the vendor is honest about what they are selling, but not so happy to hand money over to someone selling reprints. To me the whole reprint thing is a joke and I don't want to encourage it out of principle.

The money back guarantee on eBay is definitely a positive here but ordering chips from China, waiting a few weeks for delivery, testing them all, finding out that a significant percentage of them are duds, raising a dispute with the seller, getting fobbed off back and fourth over multiple messages then ultimately getting my money back but being back at square one is just hassle I would like to avoid.

It's clear from what exxos says above that this is rife and I'm glad I'm not dealing with higher cost of 060s but perhaps I just need to lower my expectations or shut up and pay a premium direct from the manufacturer! :)
alenppc
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by alenppc »

go0se wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:12 pm Cheers, I had a look at that listing before but was put off by one of the recent feedback comments suggesting that they were reprints. The whole thing is a bit of a minefield! :(
chue wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:30 am Not a large sample size, but I purchased 2 from this eBay listing:

That would be mine. I bought 36 CPUs from them and only 15 worked. Massive waste of money.

I contacted them informing them of this before I left the negative feedback, and got no reply.
go0se

Post by go0se »

Ouch! That's brutal :( I hope you managed to get your cash back?

This thread has been an education, I think I understand the whole messy situation a lot better now.

Return to “Terriblefire's channel”