CDTV Resourced Project

Help & news on accelerators from TF, Amiga, Atari, CD32 etc

Moderators: terriblefire, Terriblefire Moderator

terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

CDTV Resourced Project

Post by terriblefire »

So i have spent a few evenings by the beach working on resourcing the CDTV.DEVICE driver from the CDTV 2.3 ROM and I have made very good progress. I understand how the driver works now and I may even produce a C based driver in the future.

However If i want to publish this in a nice form I cannot include the CDTV.H file as that is still copyrighted (available on the cdtv developer cd). And there doesnt appear to be a CDTV.INC file for assembly language.

I basically would like a nice process for converting the CDTV.H file into a CDTV.INC file that end users can do (or i can get the makefile to do for them) so that all they need to do is drop the CDTV.H file into the sourced I provide and bingo.. you have a building CDTV driver.

I've been using VASM for the development so any suggestions would be welcome.
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
indicates how much hurting you shall receive."
dalek

Re: CDTV Resourced Project (H file to I File Converter Needed)

Post by dalek »

Nice work!

I did manage to umm do the opposite - compile cdtv.device from let's call it "commonly available" sources... they look to be from a newer version of the driver aimed at the cdtv-cr. Anyway, I changed it to use MEMF_24BITDMA mem instead of MEMF_PUBLIC but I guess chip would work too (I was thinking of testing with the TF530 with 2MB Zorro II RAM).

I kinda got stuck/ran out of time at the point of replacing the rom version of the device with the new one - I'm assuming there are tools to do that. My plan was to first try the new code with no changes, to make sure everything worked, then try again with the changed memory flags.

In my travels I also found a few other components using MEMF_PUBLIC, such as the 'strap' code - not sure if that is cdtv-cr specific or also used in the cdtv.

EDIT: those "commonly available" files also have a cdtv.i version for people to find which would probably do the job.
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

The files need to be legally available for me to be able to publish this. So i'll need to figure out a way to covert the .H to the .I at build time.
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
dalek

Post by dalek »

Totally get that - what's the build environment? Linux? Would you be happy with a quick and dirty awk or perl or python script that translates it? I'll whip something up...
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

———
dalek

Re: CDTV Resourced Project

Post by dalek »

Seriously cool! I can't believe you spent your vacation time doing this :)
utri007

Post by utri007 »

Thank you. Do I get this right, with this, some of those accelerators wich did not work previously with CDTV could work now?
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

We have the code to start looking at the fix. I need to look at how to use a fixed buffer for DMA rather than what it currently does.
———
utri007

Post by utri007 »

Thanks for you work for this. You have already done more than any other. I do understand that doing this takes whole lot of time and effort. Your coding skills makes you special for Amiga scene. I know at least a dozen people who could draw and route a Amiga accelerator, but they do not know how to make needed code.

So what ever you have for CDTV, could you release it? No matter how incomplete it is, but it is most like more than we will ever get.
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

utri007 wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:42 pm So what ever you have for CDTV, could you release it? No matter how incomplete it is, but it is most like more than we will ever get.
Everything is already on github.
———

Return to “Terriblefire's channel”