Help & news on accelerators from TF, Amiga, Atari, CD32 etc

Moderators: terriblefire, Terriblefire Moderator

alenppc
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: A new riser?

Post by alenppc »

go0se wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:24 pm
alenppc wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:54 pm Last time I ordered 105 of these it came to over $800 and that's no pocket change.
105? My question is, what are you going to do with that extra connector left over at the end? :lol:

Perhaps if you guys all agree not to order any more for a month or two the algorithm will bring the price back down :)
Funny story. They are factory shipped in 35 pieces per packaging. If you don't order them in multiples of that quantity, they take them out of the packaging and stick them in styrofoam, bending and breaking the pins, thus you end up with lots of expensive and unusable connectors. The pins are extremely brittle so almost impossible to straighten without breaking. I learned my lesson and only order them in multiples of 35 now...
8 Bit Dreams
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by 8 Bit Dreams »

adam wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:59 am @8BitDreams what kind of adapter are you selling with TF328 and TF330?
Have delivered them with Kipper2k one, i like how it looks like, and it is easy to build :)
Retro computer hardware & repair in Germany
8 Bit Dreams
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by 8 Bit Dreams »

bprepared wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:19 pm I have finally got around to releasing the KICAD files for the FB-32G Module on GitHub. I finished it quite some time ago, but life really got in the way.

https://github.com/Bprepared/FB-32-CD32 ... /readme.md

If anyone wants the specs for module dimensions they can be found on EAB here:

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=88826

I had also started the schematics to add an RTC and Clockport in the next module iteration, but time is still pretty slim for me, so I'm happy for anyone to pick this up and run with it.
Hi and welcome, glad to see You here!
Also it's great that Your project is moving forward! both thumbs up!

As about wireless keyboard, there MUST be something in the wild, cause i found this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Wireless-favou ... 3818926010

this chap builds open source projects usually..
However, this will be not so easy as it seems - CD32 does not have CIA... :?

EDIT:
found this:
https://github.com/t33bu/wireless-amiga-keyboard
Retro computer hardware & repair in Germany
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

Yeah i have one of those in my CDTV. Works really well.

Its time for a Gen2 riser for the CD32.

BUT... if anyone else wants to pick this up they are welcome.. im only going to do this if nobody has declared they've started this by mid October...

Why?... because i'm off flying again for half of October in Phoenix Arizona.... :)
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
indicates how much hurting you shall receive."
Maximilian

Post by Maximilian »

alenppc wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:04 pm IMHO, the one thing we need to keep from Kipper's riser is the 23-pin RGB port. Why? Because every single Amiga Scart cable is designed for it + it lets you use external scandoublers and commodore CRT monitors. With the rest go nuts... :D The only other feature I'd be interested in besides the keyboard would be an RTC.
Personally i would drop the RTC and do this through Wifi, everybody boots to the workbench first so this is probably easy enough to do.
A clock port would also be nice, that way everybody can connect their fast serial ports, RTC's, etc., maybe someone could design a modern version of the USB adapters for it.
Also i would like some of the NVram bits brought out to some io pins to a connector, but that is probably something for the CPU board as this will also be used to control the CPU clock generator.
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

Maximilian wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:54 am
alenppc wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:04 pm IMHO, the one thing we need to keep from Kipper's riser is the 23-pin RGB port. Why? Because every single Amiga Scart cable is designed for it + it lets you use external scandoublers and commodore CRT monitors. With the rest go nuts... :D The only other feature I'd be interested in besides the keyboard would be an RTC.
Personally i would drop the RTC and do this through Wifi, everybody boots to the workbench first so this is probably easy enough to do.
A clock port would also be nice, that way everybody can connect their fast serial ports, RTC's, etc., maybe someone could design a modern version of the USB adapters for it.
I kinda dont see the point for a clockport when you have real USB ports... Wouldnt it be better to make the ARM look like a USB controller on a clockport? Dealing with quirks of legacy hardware is nightmareish.

The RTC clocks are sometimes already in the ARM CPUs so putting a battery on there was all i had planned..

Circuit would be ARM STM32 variant, 2 x USB ports, one XC9536XL CPLD for address decoding, a crystal for the USB and passives. Job done.

My thinking was to have the ARM connect to the local lan etc once done it would marshal serial port traffic to port 8021 and parallel port traffic to 8022 (not precious about the port numbers).
Also i would like some of the NVram bits brought out to some io pins to a connector, but that is probably something for the CPU board as this will also be used to control the CPU clock generator.
There is nothing stopping this from happening now, its a software thing. You read NVRAM and write to some port. I wasnt planning on doing anything more than that.
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

This is the project i was looking to expand on...

https://github.com/EmberHeavyIndustries/HID2AMI
———
Maximilian

Post by Maximilian »

terriblefire wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:39 am I kinda dont see the point for a clockport when you have real USB ports... Wouldnt it be better to make the ARM look like a USB controller on a clockport? Dealing with quirks of legacy hardware is nightmareish.
--snip--
There is nothing stopping this from happening now, its a software thing. You read NVRAM and write to some port. I wasnt planning on doing anything more than that.
Ah, you are planning to go all out, nice :-)

You mentioned a Raspberry Pie before, were you planning to use that before?, that would open up much more options like emulating graphics cards etc.

For the extra NV pins we would only need a couple of spare clpd pins brought out to a connector, including ground would be nice.
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

Ah, you are planning to go all out, nice :-)

You mentioned a Raspberry Pie before, were you planning to use that before?, that would open up much more options like emulating graphics cards etc.

For the extra NV pins we would only need a couple of spare clpd pins brought out to a connector, including ground would be nice.
There are no spare CPLD pins. Its an utter nightmare making it all fit as it is. Even on the riser..

The Pi Compute might be a nice option on the A4000 where board space is less restricted.
———
Maximilian

Post by Maximilian »

terriblefire wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:32 pm There are no spare CPLD pins. Its an utter nightmare making it all fit as it is. Even on the riser..

The Pi Compute might be a nice option on the A4000 where board space is less restricted.
For the price of a working A4000 without battery damage you could buy a nice second hand car over here, even for the repaired ones you can buy a car, so that isn't an option for me, also it would be quite a small market, An A2000 would be a lot cheaper but you are stuck with OCS.

What about an extra (default not mounted) connector on the top or the bottom of the riser facing outwards?, like the SX1 riser has but probably with a lot less pins and a cheap connector like the IDE connector.
That way you could connect the Pi with a small adapter board that has a small CLPD on its own, would it be possible to let the TF board talk to that with more than the usual 14Mhz?

Why use a compute module?, you have to bring out all the connectors you need and the cost would be much higher.
Would you need any connections that are not on the normal Pi?

Return to “Terriblefire's channel”