TF1260 appears on my doormat

Help & news on accelerators from TF, Amiga, Atari, CD32 etc

Moderators: terriblefire, Terriblefire Moderator

terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: TF1260 appears on my doormat

Post by terriblefire »

Issue with the Edu card is that he put the components on the wrong side. They face down which means the heat doesnt dissipate.

I think he also used the middle layers for data which is a complete no no. I could be wrong there though. If its true it explains why it never worked. You need those planes to be "uncut" by other tracks to get the EMC you need.

Anyhow.... It never worked.
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
indicates how much hurting you shall receive."
go0se

Post by go0se »

terriblefire wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:26 am Issue with the Edu card is that he put the components on the wrong side. They face down which means the heat doesnt dissipate.
I had wondered why the components on some 1200 cards such as the Blizzard1230 are on the opposite side to those on the 1200 mainboard. I'd assumed it was to allow the SIMMs that they use to remain accessible just by opening the trapdoor rather than having to fully remove the card to swap memory?

It does seem like a compromise to have the heat generated from the inverted CPU flowing over the rest of the board before it can dissipate into the case.
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

go0se wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:37 am I had wondered why the components on some 1200 cards such as the Blizzard1230 are on the opposite side to those on the 1200 mainboard. I'd assumed it was to allow the SIMMs that they use to remain accessible just by opening the trapdoor rather than having to fully remove the card to swap memory?

It does seem like a compromise to have the heat generated from the inverted CPU flowing over the rest of the board before it can dissipate into the case.
Nah.. its 20 times harder to route the board with the components on the same side as the A1200 mainboard. I think thats why its been done that way.

I asked @ChuckyGang which side to go with before starting and the top was 100% the answer he gave me.

EDIT: I spent most of the route grumbling to myself about the side choice.
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

Ok so I should probably just say I have built the board and it works although it has some reset issues.
———
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

terriblefire wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:10 pm Ok so I should probably just say I have built the board and it works although it has some reset issues.
Nothing you aren't capable of sorting out, of that I am sure.

Any chance of a photo of the board assembled?
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
supaduper

Post by supaduper »

I don`t think Steve will mind sharing a couple of pics as I building one with him too,just waiting on a component.
Attachments
TF1260 bottom.jpg
TF1260 bottom.jpg (191.62 KiB) Viewed 4150 times
TF1260 Top.jpg
TF1260 Top.jpg (245.07 KiB) Viewed 4150 times
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

Thanks for sharing. Looks like a reasonably easy board to assemble too.
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
chucky

Post by chucky »

DAMN YOU POSTNORD!. DAMN YOU!
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

just thought it would be fun to reply to this topic on an A1200 running a TF1260. :)
———
alenppc
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by alenppc »

terriblefire wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:11 pm just thought it would be fun to reply to this topic on an A1200 running a TF1260. :)
Does that mean you got the PCMCIA working then?

Return to “Terriblefire's channel”