Help & news on accelerators from TF, Amiga, Atari, CD32 etc

Moderators: terriblefire, Terriblefire Moderator

rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Fake TF536s Bounty (Bound Edition)

Post by rubber_jonnie »

Kai Robinson wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:00 pm
rubber_jonnie wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:26 am They are called, IIRC from my days of repairing cars, Pattern Parts.

It means that consumers have a choice to buy OEM parts at a price premium, or opt for 3rd party parts that are cheaper, but may not meet the same standards of quality demanded by the OEM.

They fit, they will work, and they are cheaper, and in the marketplace they are welcomed and allowed because there are laws that demand consumer choice, however they can never be classed as 'genuine'. Not the same as blatantly ripping off somebody elses hard work IMHO.
Just as a side note...might you have done my Toyota Supra Mk3's wiring harness about a decade ago? :D
Nope it wasn't me, but maybe that's a good thing 😁
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
Daedalus

Post by Daedalus »

rubber_jonnie wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:26 amThey are called, IIRC from my days of repairing cars, Pattern Parts.

It means that consumers have a choice to buy OEM parts at a price premium, or opt for 3rd party parts that are cheaper, but may not meet the same standards of quality demanded by the OEM.

They fit, they will work, and they are cheaper, and in the marketplace they are welcomed and allowed because there are laws that demand consumer choice, however they can never be classed as 'genuine'. Not the same as blatantly ripping off somebody elses hard work IMHO.
Yep, they're pattern parts, and crucially, you will find that they've been designed and engineered from the ground up to meet the required spec and function in the same way, not 1:1 copied. As I've already pointed out elsewhere too, the same is true of the IBM clone that keeps being put forward as a totally flawed analogy. The clone might look a bit like an IBM 5160 and perform like one, but if you actually look at it, it's very different. The motherboard's totally different. The casework is totally different. It's been engineered from the ground up to do the same job, but in no way is it a 1:1 copy.
ICRY

Post by ICRY »

I am so sorry to hear about this, & I hope you nail the g"t.

I know everything at the moment is raw, but it would be a crying shame if you completely stop, even if it just the odd video of you building something like that ST or the Specturm like you did during lock down, as they where also great vids!

I thank you for everything Sir, nobody but you gave us so much fun & enjoyment, & no Tom, Dick or Harry can ever take that away from you!

You made a hobbie in retro computers so much fun!
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

Really i am now looking at getting into serious flight sim stuff for the time being. With a view to getting my UK flight instructor rating.

I think you can guess from there what my future interest is.
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
indicates how much hurting you shall receive."
ICRY

Post by ICRY »

terriblefire wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:08 am Really i am now looking at getting into serious flight sim stuff for the time being. With a view to getting my UK flight instructor rating.

I think you can guess from there what my future interest is.
I wish you good luck with your future endeavors Sir!
hammer

Post by hammer »

rubber_jonnie wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:26 am
They are called, IIRC from my days of repairing cars, Pattern Parts.

FYI, Tesla knows about the cloned automotive parts industry and has implemented Apple-style unique component ID.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

hammer wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:48 am
FYI, Tesla knows about the cloned automotive parts industry and has implemented Apple-style unique component ID.
Yep, sounds about right....:(
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...

Return to “Terriblefire's channel”