TF1260 IDE with Faster CPU Speed

Help & news on accelerators from TF, Amiga, Atari, CD32 etc

Moderators: terriblefire, Terriblefire Moderator

AndyC

TF1260 IDE with Faster CPU Speed

Post by AndyC »

Hi folks,

Looking for a bit of information and/ or assistance.

I've just managed to get my TF1260 IDE up and running with a 32Gb SD card, split over 4 partitions (to mimic the partitions on the main board IDE SD card). My intention is to boot from the TF card, using loadmodule for now, rather than using a custom ROM.

I'm sure I read something somewhere about issues with the IDE when setting CPU speed higher than 50MHz. I realised I was having loads of problems with the TF1260 IDE because I had CPUSpeed set to speed=75 in my startup sequence. Setting this back to default (50Mhz) solved the issues I was having reading and writing to the SD card on the TF1260 IDE port.

Stephen kindly updated the firmware on my board a couple of weeks back, so I'm assuming I have the most recent firmware, so I was wondering if anyone else had experience this issue, and whether there is a fix for it?

Many thanks in advance!

AndyC
Higgy

Re: TF1260 IDE with Faster CPU Speed

Post by Higgy »

Hi @AndyC ,

Stephen is aware of the issue. He said the Firmware is being completely rewritten and hopefully it will be fixed then.
I've dropped back to the A1200 internal IDE for the moment, as I watch demos so I am usually running +50Mhz.

Cheers
CrazyC

Post by CrazyC »

I thought from the other thread on here that 62.5mhz (or whatever it goes to if you request 65) was also still generally OK as long as you had a reasonable CF card?

I was planning on just keeping to either the base 50 or 62.5mhz - I haven't done much testing at anything above 50 though. Perhaps I should stick to 50 for the minute.....
gdonner

Post by gdonner »

I obviously don't know whether it might help, but I wonder if the brand of CF card used might perhaps make some difference?

If the issue occurs on a brand other than SanDisk, it might(?) be worth trying SanDisk's "Ultra" or "Extreme" CF cards.

I only mention it as SanDisk was the creator of CompactFlash, and there can sometimes be a benefit to using them in terms of compatibility/reliability.
Higgy

Post by Higgy »

@gdonner I have been using/testing SanDisk Ultra cards. This one does not seem CF card related. Thanks for the suggestion though.
8 Bit Dreams
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by 8 Bit Dreams »

AndyC wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 3:16 pm I had CPUSpeed set to speed=75 in my startup sequence.
Hi!
May I ask how should this be done correctly?
Retro computer hardware & repair in Germany
danbeaver

Post by danbeaver »

"cpuspeed speed=75"

Return to “Terriblefire's channel”