Total Newbie Thread

TF530 - 63030 + RAM Board

Moderators: terriblefire, Terriblefire Moderator

alenppc
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: Total Newbie Thread

Post by alenppc »

I found the socket adapters, and the programming seems to work but the verify fails. So I guess I will have to upgrade to the 866-II also.
alenppc
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by alenppc »

OK, I bought the 866-II :)

I confirm it programs ATF22V10s and has a slightly greater success rate with GALs but it fails miserably with ATF16V8s, sigh.
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

alenppc wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:56 pm OK, I bought the 866-II :)

I confirm it programs ATF22V10s and has a slightly greater success rate with GALs but it fails miserably with ATF16V8s, sigh.
That's strange, as I've had mo problem with the 16s. Did you try updating the software perhaps?
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
alenppc
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by alenppc »

Yes, running the latest version.
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

That's odd. I got mine 2 weeks ago from Amazon, after having an 866a and it's been fine.

Could the chips have been re marked? And its z slightly different ATF?
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
alenppc
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by alenppc »

Well I got my programmer from Ebay but apparently it's not fake since it runs the latest firmware without issues. The ATF CPLDs are all from Digikey so also not fake... So I have no idea...
8 Bit Dreams
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by 8 Bit Dreams »

forget about burning GAL's on TL866, just get Yourself GAL Blast or ATF Blast. That's it!
Retro computer hardware & repair in Germany
SteveCooling

Post by SteveCooling »

Hi guys.

Been building up my TF530 over the past few weeks. Things have been a bit slow since I was missing some parts, and had some trouble getting the TQFP's soldered 100%. I finally got the CPLDs programmed and verified, and have verified the clocks, both are fine on the output of the buffers. And voltages seem fine.

My A500 (rev5 / kickstart 1.3) behaves as if there's no CPU installed when I power it on. The original 68000 works fine even in the relocator. I don't have DiagROM, although I probably should remedy that.

The board has a 86030RP33 clocked at 33 MHz. MMUDIS and CODIS are strapped.

Firmware flashed: r3 files from https://github.com/terriblefire/terribl ... 7_beta.zip

I would really love some tips on what to check / where to measure next to find out what my problem is.

For the time being my tools are a little bit limited, I have an old 100 MHz Tek scope and a cheap 8 channel USB logic analyzer that works up to about 25 MHz maybe (so I could have a look at some address lines maybe to see if there's anything going on - but I'm not sure exactly what I should be looking for)

Attached are photos of top and bottom - I instpected everything as closely as I could, but maybe someone can spot if there is a "TerribleMistake". No fire though. ;-)

Cheers!
Attachments
2019-02-23 16.24.35.jpg
2019-02-23 16.24.35.jpg (322.86 KiB) Viewed 5379 times
2019-02-23 16.23.58.jpg
2019-02-23 16.23.58.jpg (460.39 KiB) Viewed 5379 times
Relive the childhood of computers to better understand how it all works!

I work on hardware and software for modern cloud services.
Tinkering with C64, NES, Amiga and 1999 era PC's when I have the time.
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

So I wouldnt attempt to bring one of these up cold without DiagROM...

Might be the picture but this looks like a short...
short..JPG
short..JPG (13.3 KiB) Viewed 5377 times
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
indicates how much hurting you shall receive."
SteveCooling

Post by SteveCooling »

Hey, thanks for your quick reply!

I have thoroughly checked for those kinds of problems. No visible shorts. Just a blurry mobile picture :) IIRC the CPLD programming would fail if i had shorted all those pins. I think one of the JTAG pins live around there.

Attempted to get better photos here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/zwhfy7pwptpb ... 79p5a?dl=0

I'll see about the DiagROM - already planned on getting one.

Otherwise no obvious blunders that are visible? Firmware version should be OK on the r3 for "any" frequency and so on?

Initially I had blundered the dual inverter version of the clock buffers on there. They had the same markings on the top, and I wasn't aware that could happen on dissimilar chips. I don't think those hurt anything, but just in case, where would be a good place to probe to see if the bus CPLD is receiving the clocks and trying to do something?

Cheers!
Relive the childhood of computers to better understand how it all works!

I work on hardware and software for modern cloud services.
Tinkering with C64, NES, Amiga and 1999 era PC's when I have the time.

Return to “TF530”