My CDTV Nightmare

TF534 - 68030 + More RAM Board (More compatible with amiga hardware)

Moderators: terriblefire, Terriblefire Moderator

terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

My CDTV Nightmare

Post by terriblefire »

Ok.. So i've given the TF series a whirl on the CDTV and No joy at all.

I have probably got the wrong ROM etc installed but the machine just reboots and resets the CD Drive over and over.

I guess first thing i need is ROMS. What ROM chips to these badgers use?

EDIT: My kickstart roms are version 1.0... i guess this sucker isnt going to boot 030.
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
indicates how much hurting you shall receive."
8 Bit Dreams
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: TF534 on CDTV

Post by 8 Bit Dreams »

Ok,
You need 27C1000 or 27C1001, be careful, these are a bit tricky, becase some company's mixed pinouts for these two!
What YOU need are chips with Pin2 A16 and Pin24 should be !OE, however some company's have reverse these two pins, these will NOT work!
Alternatively You can build an adaptor and swap these in programmer (like i did) and it worked for me...
Retro computer hardware & repair in Germany
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

OK i have DiagROM up and running.. noticed this
diagrom.JPG
diagrom.JPG (80.64 KiB) Viewed 5564 times
I wonder if the expansion roms think the base address for the CDTV control is always 0xEA0000.
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

and now i completely killed the CDTV somehow..

oh well. back in the cupboard.
———
8 Bit Dreams
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by 8 Bit Dreams »

terriblefire wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:26 pm I wonder if the expansion roms think the base address for the CDTV control is always 0xEA0000.
not sure, however, if You have a SCSI module plugged in (rear expansion slot) then You can boot from SCSI HD
terriblefire wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:35 pm and now i completely killed the CDTV somehow..

oh well. back in the cupboard.
can You discribe more? Maybe You just unplugged Video expasion? CDTV will not work without it
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

8 Bit Dreams wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:49 pm can You discribe more? Maybe You just unplugged Video expasion? CDTV will not work without it
I think I shorted 5V to ground and now the front panel does not power up at all and the fan ticks then comes on without the power button being on.

Its dead Jim.

EDIT: its probably a fuse somewhere but this thing looks too complex to disassemble with those connectors.
———
8 Bit Dreams
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by 8 Bit Dreams »

Well,
if so - take a look on voltages on Your PSU, not sure are there any fuse or not... if it's not reparable - Ian Stedman has very nice power adapters for cdtv:
http://www.ianstedman.co.uk/Sales/sales.html
For only £9..
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

Well it looks like that CDTV took out more than just itself... blew up my CF card.

What happened was I plugged in the CF adaptor 1 place "off". usually this causes the PSU to give up. But the CDTV had other ideas...

EDIT: if i do get this going again the PSU is getting chucked. Pile of crap.
———
utri007

Post by utri007 »

Thanks for trying TF with CDTV. CDTV has very unique feature, compared to any other Amiga, it usually get wife's approve to be in living room. :)

So if you coul continue, please? Using it with plain 68000 is pain, so any acclerator would be nice improvement.
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

I will indeed. But not while frustrated
———

Return to “TF534 (OBSOLETE)”