TF534 Ram and why you cant upgrade it

TF534 - 68030 + More RAM Board (More compatible with amiga hardware)

Moderators: terriblefire, Terriblefire Moderator

terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

TF534 Ram and why you cant upgrade it

Post by terriblefire »

I think i get asked this every 2 weeks and i'm a little fed up of arguing with people about this and repeating myself over and over. Its really really annoying to have to answer the same question to every person who wants to upgrade their TF card.

You cannot put more than 4Mb on a TF534..

Why?

First... Because you cant get bigger RAM chips than the 1Mb each jobs that are on the TF534. If there had been bigger RAM chips available in that class I would have used them already.

People then run away and hunt for hours for chips (repeating the work I did because they think i'm an idiot) and then send me a datasheet or a link to a chip they say is the next size up... 2Mb per chip. They havent noticed that these chips are 3.3V and will not work.....

They then protest and say but the address bus is tied to the CPLD etc etc.. isnt there a buffer etc. are there spare pins etc etc...

The data bus and address bus go direct to the RAM from the 5V CPU.

In short THE TF534 has the MAX amount of RAM that can be added to it.

If it was possible to put more RAM on the TF534 it would already have it.

You can try a piggy back thing but you are on your own there. In order to get more RAM from a TF5xx board we need to refactor the TF330 to to the 500 which I will eventually get round to doing.
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
indicates how much hurting you shall receive."
kludge

Re: TF534 Ram and why you cant upgrade it

Post by kludge »

:goodpost:
A kludge is a workaround or quick-and-dirty solution that is clumsy, inelegant, inefficient, difficult to extend and hard to maintain.

My lack of focus:
[ 4 * Amiga 500 ][ Amiga 500+ ][ 2 * Amiga 600 ][ A1200 ][ Amiga 2000 w/ A2386 ][ Amiga 4000/030 w/ CyberVision 64 3D, FastLane SCSI Z3 ][ CD32 ][ VIC-20 ][ 4 * C64 Breadbin ][ 5 * C64C ][ 2 * C128 ][ C128D ][ C64 DTV ][ Mac Classic ][ Mac Classic II ][ Mac Colour Classic ]
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: TF534 Ram and why you cant upgrade it

Post by terriblefire »

Despite this post I got another message this morning from someone who “doesn’t want to read my posts” to understand. They suggested that I should put a 3.3v regulator on my board to power the bigger RAM chips.

I’m not sure why I’m bothering to reply to this because it’s already explained above but one last time... especially when people can’t be bothered to read my posts.

There is already a regulator on the board. IO pins on 3.3V ram cannot be given more than 3.3v... it will kill the chips... which are expensive. And there are 60 lines to drop from 5V to 3.3v. This is solved in the TF330.

The TF534 ALREADY HAS THE MAX AMOUNT OF RAM IT CAN HAMDLE.

STOP ASKING!!!
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
indicates how much hurting you shall receive."

Return to “TF534 (OBSOLETE)”