TF534 Sources Published (includes firmware for 520/530 and 534)

TF534 - 68030 + More RAM Board (More compatible with amiga hardware)

Moderators: terriblefire, Terriblefire Moderator

terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: TF534 Sources Published (includes firmware for 520/530 and 534)

Post by terriblefire »

It crashes because KS3.1 allocates it a fastram buffer
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
indicates how much hurting you shall receive."
brufnus

Post by brufnus »

Now I'm really sad. ;-(

It seems at least some people have made a TF534 work on a CDTV, but no joy here - I've detached my SCSI-controller and 8 MB Fast RAM on the diagnostics port, but with my current KS3.2 and Extended ROM 2.30, all I get is green or black screen and flashing LED when installing the TF534.

I've seen the cdtv.device mentioned, but as I've understood it, it's possible to deactivate all CDTV specific functions by removing the jumper (J17 or 19 or whats'-its-face), effectively making it a (more or less) std. A500. Alas, still no joy. :-/

Perhaps the upcoming Extended ROM 2.35 might solve the issue - or should I revert to the KS3.1, which I am fortunate enough to have at hand? It would be a shame to have a wasted purchase in that TF534 despite the fact that it's obsolete and superseded and unsupported, etc. etc. c".)
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

brufnus wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:20 pm Now I'm really sad. ;-(

It seems at least some people have made a TF534 work on a CDTV, but no joy here - I've detached my SCSI-controller and 8 MB Fast RAM on the diagnostics port, but with my current KS3.2 and Extended ROM 2.30, all I get is green or black screen and flashing LED when installing the TF534.

I've seen the cdtv.device mentioned, but as I've understood it, it's possible to deactivate all CDTV specific functions by removing the jumper (J17 or 19 or whats'-its-face), effectively making it a (more or less) std. A500. Alas, still no joy. :-/

Perhaps the upcoming Extended ROM 2.35 might solve the issue - or should I revert to the KS3.1, which I am fortunate enough to have at hand? It would be a shame to have a wasted purchase in that TF534 despite the fact that it's obsolete and superseded and unsupported, etc. etc. c".)
You have an issue with the TF534 then. Either contacts etc. With the extended roms removed it should work. Also note there is absolutely no support for KS3.2 with the 534. it probably doesnt work. Try 3.1 and get that working with no extended roms first. KS3.2 does not work without any drives installed for what its worth.
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
brufnus

Post by brufnus »

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for your reply, I appreciate your willingness to help with this obsolete board, especially after learning about the unfortunate business with non-legit boards, etc.

Anyway, I was hoping your suggestions was exactly the issue; at least it's reasonably easy to solve if it's the KS and Extended ROM versions causing this.
I did think about removing the Extended ROM's (never tried that before, but I was under the impression it would boot just fine without), as well as downgrading to the KS3.1 - I'll try that and see how it behaves.

Am I correct that the 4 MB onboard uses the Z3 address space, so that it shouldn't conflict with my Fast RAM at Z2? I'll let you know when I've tried your suggestions. I think especially the CDTV is an interesting model in this aspect, too. I've had it almost since it hit the market, but only this year finally managed to get it upgraded with SCSI-controller, etc.
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

brufnus wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:45 pm Hi Stephen,

Thanks for your reply, I appreciate your willingness to help with this obsolete board, especially after learning about the unfortunate business with non-legit boards, etc.

Anyway, I was hoping your suggestions was exactly the issue; at least it's reasonably easy to solve if it's the KS and Extended ROM versions causing this.
I did think about removing the Extended ROM's (never tried that before, but I was under the impression it would boot just fine without), as well as downgrading to the KS3.1 - I'll try that and see how it behaves.

Am I correct that the 4 MB onboard uses the Z3 address space, so that it shouldn't conflict with my Fast RAM at Z2? I'll let you know when I've tried your suggestions. I think especially the CDTV is an interesting model in this aspect, too. I've had it almost since it hit the market, but only this year finally managed to get it upgraded with SCSI-controller, etc.
The TF534 is ZIII yes. It was tested against a GVP ZII card in a A2000 and it all worked. Even the GVP onboard ZII fastram. The card in general does work but some people have found its not 100% happy at 50Mhz. This is the reason we went for the TF536, since the FPU was measurably unused in almost every scenario it was ditched.
———
brufnus

Post by brufnus »

Okay, that's good to have that confirmed, then I should be able to keep my Fast RAM as I expected. Hopefully the SCSI-controller can stay as well. I run a 73 GB SCA Ultra Wide drive on this one, as well as a Toshiba 40x CD-ROM drive. Pretty fast and stable configuration.

Now, for the KS part... they removed workbench.library and icon.library from v3.2 in order to get room for other things, so these have to reside on boot drive now. Except for that, I don't know much about the difference from 3.1 or 3.1.4 - but I think it's great if others can benefit from my experiences, once I test this.

I guess the combination of CDTV and TF534/KS3.2/OS3.2 is still somewhat unknown, perhaps even with an A500, too. After all, OS3.2 is pretty new. There's an ongoing project with the extended ROM's as you may know; they claim their 2.35 will be available at the end of the year, which should support the 030 CPU. I'll test this config ASAP as well.
brufnus

Post by brufnus »

Oh, by the way... my TF is overclocked to 48 MHz, but if I can make it work at, say, 33 MHz only, I'm perfectly happy with that. It's still a far cry from a 7 MHz 68000... :mrgreen:
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

brufnus wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:23 pm Oh, by the way... my TF is overclocked to 48 MHz, but if I can make it work at, say, 33 MHz only, I'm perfectly happy with that. It's still a far cry from a 7 MHz 68000... :mrgreen:
I think 40 was the optimal one with the latest firmware. I would strongly suggest trying it with 3.1, no ext roms and a plain WB3.1 setup.

https://wordpress.hertell.nu/files/WB31Clean.zip
———
brufnus

Post by brufnus »

Thanks for the link, I'll try experimenting with the different setups shortly! c",)
brufnus

Post by brufnus »

Nope, still no joy, Steve.

I've tried with KS3.1 and without extended ROM's, same behaviour. And yesterday evening I experienced the same CDTV death with the fan on as you did, so I could use your experience there and swap the fuse rather than grab an axe. :mrgreen:

Now I've even tried with a Pistorm as well - that one boots the CPU and apparently loads the KS etc, but absolutely nothing happens on the Amiga side. I'm beginning to wonder if there's too low voltage or something other gone haystack, but it works flawlessly with the 68K CPU, except for the dead CD-ROM drive (which also suggests it lack some 12V juice).
Does the TF use 12V as well? Perhaps that 12V rail is the culprit.

Return to “TF534 (OBSOLETE)”