Killed CPLD - IDE Interface

TF534 - 68030 + More RAM Board (More compatible with amiga hardware)

Moderators: terriblefire, Terriblefire Moderator

terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: Killed CPLD - IDE Interface

Post by terriblefire »

8 Bit Dreams wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:45 pm
alenppc wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:00 pm All you have to do is pay attention on how you plug the 44-pin. A600 and A1200 owners have known this for decades. Going to 40 pin is a terrible idea, since then you have to worry about finding power on the 500, getting extra connectors... etc.

Having said that I've plugged CF cards backwards on TF hardware countless times, and unlike the 600/1200 nothing happened, the card simply wouldn't start.
This happens ONLY if pin 20 is not powered. If it's routed correctly - you don't need extra power, works same as 44
There was an extremely heated campaign to get me to switch from 40 pin ide to 44 pin.. I'm never switching back. All my 40 pin gear went in the trash.
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
indicates how much hurting you shall receive."
GadgetUK164

Post by GadgetUK164 »

8 Bit Dreams wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:31 pm
GadgetUK164 wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:37 pm Thanks! Yes, it's definitely a faulty CPLD. Looking at schematics the control signals for IDE look to come from the smaller CPLD. That's the one I am going to swap first as I suspect that's where one of the pins is dead.
I do understand Your frustration Chris, im feeling guilty for that what happened.. Have fried hard drive same way back in the days.. Unfortunately this is the standard situation on 44 Pin connector, this can not happen on 40 Pin connector since power pins are organised differently. Also 40pin CF to IDE adaprors had never caused issues unlike 44 pin ones.. This was the reason why ive asked Stephen to go back to 40 Pin connector..

Generally all my recomendations as a beta tester are based on my own experience, i don't ask for something I want, the only thing i'd like to achieve - is a rock solid hard breakable hardware..

Really hope You'll be able to figure out what's going on there, Chris.
Will also be glad to take a look on Your card if You can't let it work..
With kind regards,

- 8 Bit Dreams
Thanks! You must have missed the line of text in my last post - It's fixed! the smaller CPLD was the one! Been playing games all afternoon on it again =D

I see your point on the 44 pin vs 40 pin, but to a degree you still have potential for the same sort of problem - eg. data or other connections then land on other connections etc. Although it does tend to be ground and vcc connections that can cause this type of issue. And I blame the SD adapter, because like others I've mixed up the connection so many times on so many devices using CF cards and never had an issue. The one thing I would say about 44 pin is it's easier because so much stuff already uses it!
My YouTube Channel - www.youtube.com/GadgetUK164
8 Bit Dreams
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by 8 Bit Dreams »

@Gadget:
Ok,
Glad to hear You've fixed it ;)

@TerribleFire
no long cables, got it
Retro computer hardware & repair in Germany