Agranlunds TF534 Build

TF534 - 68030 + More RAM Board (More compatible with amiga hardware)

Moderators: terriblefire, Terriblefire Moderator

kludge

Re: Agranlunds TF534 Build

Post by kludge »

8 Bit Dreams wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:59 am What do You think, will this work on STe with Kludges plcc adapter?
Isn’t the CPU usually socketed on STe’s? I’ve never even seen an Atari IRL, so I could very well be wrong here 😂
A kludge is a workaround or quick-and-dirty solution that is clumsy, inelegant, inefficient, difficult to extend and hard to maintain.

My lack of focus:
[ 4 * Amiga 500 ][ Amiga 500+ ][ 2 * Amiga 600 ][ A1200 ][ Amiga 2000 w/ A2386 ][ Amiga 4000/030 w/ CyberVision 64 3D, FastLane SCSI Z3 ][ CD32 ][ VIC-20 ][ 4 * C64 Breadbin ][ 5 * C64C ][ 2 * C128 ][ C128D ][ C64 DTV ][ Mac Classic ][ Mac Classic II ][ Mac Colour Classic ]
IngoQ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IngoQ »

No not always. Sometimes, especially in later versions, it is directly soldered to the board. You can of course remove it and solder in a PLCC SMT socket. A little fiddly but that's what I did :)
Ingo :geek:

| Atari 1040STE@32MHz | Amiga 1200 (ACA1220) | Atari 800XL (U1MB, SIDE2) | Atari 130XL (Sophia DVI) | C64 (1541 Ultimate II, Rev3 RFMod Replacement) | TI 99/4A (F18A, 32k, FlashROM 99) | Sinclair ZX Spectrum 128 (Stereo, DivMMC) | Amstrad CPC664 (512k, M4 Wifi) | ... |
agranlund

Post by agranlund »

I agree with Agranlunds, there is no reason to turn the BLiTTER off.
It becomes a bit of a mess once you start running stuff from FastRAM. Of course you can force such programs to ST-RAM but the more you do this the more you're loosing the point of the accelerator in the first place.

I don't think it's a problem for 2D games since they probably run perfectly fine from ST-RAM anyway, but TOS and NVDI at least are the two main things I want in FastRAM for a speedy system, and both of them will crash because of the blitter when doing so.
Spending time and patching these is an option of course, but this is not a nice road to walk down.

But.. I did build that blitter expansion card for my ST and I am intent on using it to some extent together with my TF534 :)

So for the purpose of curiosity and testing I made some small changes to EmuTOS to have it allow the Blitter even in the presence of FastRAM. Additionally, I made it fall-back to software routines if source or destination was outside of ST-RAM.
This made it work really well. The desktop works fine, as well as the the blitter apps I have. Except for NVDI, which I consider a blocker.

Out of curiosity, are there other screen accelerators like NVDI out there that offers the same type of performance boost?
Also, any tips on blitter games/demos/apps that works on a non-STE machine would be greatly appreciated :)
I only have Gembench, BlitB and the blitter-enhanced version of "Hardn'Heavy" to test with.

Seeing as NVDI completely humiliates the blitter for GEM stuff on the 030, I am leaning on the best option being to have the TF firmware hide the blitter for the system. And then make some game launcher app that can tell TF to unhide the blitter as it launches the game.
The only real point of the blitter at this point is probably for running games that require or benefit from it..

TF53x optimised build of EmuTOS, in FastRAM using MAPROM. NVID, Blitter ON, Blitter OFF:
(actually, just 68030+FastRam optimised build. Should work fine on any 030 accelerator that has TT-RAM)
EmuTos-TF53x_NVDI_BlitterOFF.jpg
EmuTos-TF53x_NVDI_BlitterOFF.jpg (48.24 KiB) Viewed 6866 times
EmuTos-TF53x_BlitterON.jpg
EmuTos-TF53x_BlitterON.jpg (47.87 KiB) Viewed 6866 times
EmuTos-TF53x_BlitterOFF.jpg
EmuTos-TF53x_BlitterOFF.jpg (47.96 KiB) Viewed 6866 times

Standard build of EmuTOS, in FastRAM using MAPROM. NVDI, Blitter ON, Blitter OFF:
EmuTos_NVDI_BlitterOFF.jpg
EmuTos_NVDI_BlitterOFF.jpg (48.16 KiB) Viewed 6866 times
EmuTos_BlitterON.jpg
EmuTos_BlitterON.jpg (48.06 KiB) Viewed 6866 times
EmuTos_BlitterOFF.jpg
EmuTos_BlitterOFF.jpg (48.18 KiB) Viewed 6866 times
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

agranlund wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:34 pm Out of curiosity, are there other screen accelerators like NVDI out there that offers the same type of performance boost?
"warp9" is similar to NVDI. But I don't think it was as compatible.. IIRC it was faster with some things than NVDI.

Warp 9 v3.80 (1993-09-18)(CodeHead Technologies).zip
(340.92 KiB) Downloaded 262 times
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
agranlund

Post by agranlund »

"warp9" is similar to NVDI. But I don't think it was as compatible.. IIRC it was faster with some things than NVDI.
Thanks Exxos! I will give this one a try :)

I submitted a bunch of Glitter related fixes to my Github, and fixed some nasty bugs in MAPROM.
Finally, I can leave the blitter inserted in my nice accelerator stack of TF534 + Blitter expansion :)

New TF53x firmware with Blitter timing fix (built binaries are in the bin folder)
https://github.com/agranlund/tf534

tftools has a bunch of bug fixes in all the programs, also adds BLITOFF.PRG:
https://github.com/agranlund/tftools

BLITOFF.PRG disables the blitter for programs running outside of ST-RAM. Put it second in the auto folder, after maprom.prg (or fastram.prg).
This will make TOS2.06 work fine from FastRAM, as well as NVDI.
Games and demos should still have access to the Blitter, as long as they run from ST-RAM (tested with Hard'n'Heavy + BlitB)

Even though EmuTos already disables the Blitter it's still worth running BLITOFF.PRG because it can actually allow more programs to use it than with just EmuTos default.

(This program just replaces the Blitmode XBIOS function so any program that ignores TOS and hits the blitter directly will still be able to do so)
agranlund

Post by agranlund »

Blitter is finally a success :)

I realise it's probably just me... but if you by any chance have an Atari, with Blitter & TF53x then you want to grab the latest stuff from here:
https://github.com/agranlund/tftools

Put BLITFIX.PRG after MAPROM.PRG in the AUTO folder to make TOS2.06 work even if you have a blitter is installed.
The program hooks into TOS internal blitter routines and enables them to fall back to software blits when addresses are outside of the blitters reach.

In addition to making TOS work, it can detect and trick NVDI into working by telling it the blitter is not present (NVDI uses the blitter on all machines except for Falcon). NVDI must be loaded after BLITFIX in this case.

BLITFIX *should* work also on TOS3.06.. Someone with a PAK68/3 may want to give this one a go if they previously had to remove the blitter.
But then again, perhaps the PAK version of 3.06 is too heavily patched for this program to work or make sense?

It's useful also for EmuTOS since it will allow programs that are running in ST-RAM to know the true status of the blitter.
(EmuTOS will not use the blitter if TT-RAM is present, and it will lie about it to any program that asks)

Now, that was quite fun and I did get a chance to learn a bunch about TOS in the process :)

TOS 2.06, blitter disabled:
A_BD.jpg
A_BD.jpg (45.44 KiB) Viewed 6774 times
TOS 2.06, blitter enabled
A_BE.jpg
A_BE.jpg (45.3 KiB) Viewed 6774 times
EmuTOS, blitter disabled by EmuTOS due to FastRAM
E_BD.jpg
E_BD.jpg (47.93 KiB) Viewed 6774 times
EmuTOS, custom TF53x optimized build, blitter enabled
EX_BE.jpg
EX_BE.jpg (47.9 KiB) Viewed 6774 times
All of them above pale in comparison with the custom EmuTOS build + NVDI though :)
EX_NVDI.jpg
EX_NVDI.jpg (48.2 KiB) Viewed 6774 times
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

agranlund wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:51 pm All of them above pale in comparison with the custom EmuTOS build + NVDI though :)
So for us not keeping up, what exactly is different here ? Is blitter now working in fast-ram to get the speed boost ?
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

The blitter can’t blit to fast ram on the TF534... at least it can’t to all memory locations.

But the blitter speed is awful compared to the CPU just moving data in fast ram.
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
indicates how much hurting you shall receive."
agranlund

Post by agranlund »

I build EmuTOS with -m68030 -DSTATIC_ALT_RAM_ADDRESS=0x01000000

The biggest performance boost comes from letting it know about fastram at compile time, this allows it to put a large chunk of its internal variables there instead of in ST-RAM (the Vampire V2 + V4 optimized builds do the same thing)

Additionally, my local build has changes to make it allow the Blitter even when fastram is present, and to make that not just crash and die it has some additional code to make it fall back to software blits if someone is trying to blit to or from 32bit address space.

But as can be seen from the benchmarks, the blitter really stands no chance in general desktop use compared to just using NVDI in fastram (in which case the blitter is not used by the desktop at all).

For me personally it's worth being able to use the blitter with the few legacy applications that require it to even function - and for using the blitter for fun in own code.
BlankVector

Post by BlankVector »

agranlund wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:29 pm I build EmuTOS with -m68030 -DSTATIC_ALT_RAM_ADDRESS=0x01000000

The biggest performance boost comes from letting it know about fastram at compile time, this allows it to put a large chunk of its internal variables there instead of in ST-RAM (the Vampire V2 + V4 optimized builds do the same thing)
Hehe, as you can see, it is easy to do custom builds of EmuTOS 8-)
Subscribe to my Vretrocomputing channel on YouTube and Facebook. Latest video: Disable the key click in assembly language on Atari ST.

Return to “TF534 (OBSOLETE)”