Noob building a TF534

TF534 - 68030 + More RAM Board (More compatible with amiga hardware)

Moderators: terriblefire, Terriblefire Moderator

Lynxman

Re: Noob building a TF534

Post by Lynxman »

I found a faulty a1200 motherboard for sale. It's included with another A1200 that the seller is selling, so I asked if he would part with the broken motherboard separately. I can get a nice case with keyboard for a decent price on Ebay. 2MB Chipram will be such a blessing, and AGA is great too.
PaulJ_2.0

Post by PaulJ_2.0 »

Lynxman wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:43 am The IDE to SD card adapter arrived yesterday. I cloned the harddisk image from the CF to an SDcard and it boots and is faster, and measures 2 MB/s when benchmarking, but for some reason a lot of games complain that kick34005.a500 isn't valid, even though it's the same as on the CF. I tried copying the a500 file over again in WinUAE but games requiring that rom still don't work. The problem does not occur when I try the CF again. Weird issue. Guess I have to run a fresh install on the SDcard to get it to work.
I have solved this issue, but I have not much idea as to why it happens.

On the original CF, lha archive the dev/kickstarts directory and copy that over to the SD and unarchive. The kickstarts will then work properly.
Lynxman wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:13 pm It was the same, but I figured out why it happens. The Max Transfer of the SD card partition was too high. I reduced it to 0x1fe00 and now the A500 kickstart works. :)
This isn't the cause, my drives are always 0x1FE00
It probably worked for you as it is intermittent as to if it corrupts the files. If you archive them and copy them over, they work 100% of the time.
Lynxman

Post by Lynxman »

I didn't copy the files to a Windows environment when I cloned. I created a hardware image which I recreated on the new card. I also tried redownloading and unpacking the kickstart LHA, from the same source as I used for the CF, on the new card, which didn't fix it. I tried every 34,5 kick I could find. Changing the Max Transfer immediately fixed it.
8 Bit Dreams
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by 8 Bit Dreams »

All my cards has 1FE00 transfer rate
and who is using copy option nowadays? It takes too long..
Just using WinImage 9.0c, to create and restore 8GB drive images in 5 min...
Retro computer hardware & repair in Germany
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

8 Bit Dreams wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:56 am All my cards has 1FE00 transfer rate
I who is using copy option nowadays? It takes too long..
Agreed. Much simpler and quicker.

I’d really like to explore unionfs and xdftools sometime to create a docker type solution for amiga.
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
indicates how much hurting you shall receive."
PaulJ_2.0

Post by PaulJ_2.0 »

8 Bit Dreams wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:56 am Who is using copy option nowadays? It takes too long..
I use win32diskimager for making and restoring disk images, but I have to copy the files to the directories when making a new fresh install image.
I dont rely on other peoples images, all of mine are created specifically for each machine, so I have a few for the 500/600/1200 for different kickroms versions.
The WHDLoad kickroms have been a pain for me in the past when transferring them to a new image until I archived them. Since then I've never had an issue. If I copy them unarchived, they have even worked initially and then stopped working. It's an oddity.
Lynxman

Post by Lynxman »

Does anyone else have Amiga Test Kit 1.5 hang when testing the Fast ram from Workbench? If I run it from floppy it doesn't hang, and if I rundiagrom that's fine too, but im Classic Workbench it hangs when I select Fast Ram. I can try the CF harddisk too just to see if there's a difference.
supaduper

Post by supaduper »

Lynxman wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:57 am Does anyone else have Amiga Test Kit 1.5 hang when testing the Fast ram from Workbench? If I run it from floppy it doesn't hang, and if I rundiagrom that's fine too, but im Classic Workbench it hangs when I select Fast Ram. I can try the CF harddisk too just to see if there's a difference.
Do you have the MMU running ? if yes then Amiga test Kit will hang as there is a conflict with the software
Lynxman

Post by Lynxman »

Ok that explains it. I thought about that yesterday but didn't figure out how to turn off the MMU again after installing MMULib.
Lynxman

Post by Lynxman »

I found these randomly on Ebay. Wonder if they would work. Looks like they can be plugged directly onto the TF534. Not as useful on an A500 since it doesn't have an alternate drive for loading stuff:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/4GB-IDE-44-PIN ... SwGEJcawYL

Never mind. There are cheaper units:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Apacer-2GB-IDE ... Swp~pdW7Mb

Return to “TF534 (OBSOLETE)”