Noob building a TF534

TF534 - 68030 + More RAM Board (More compatible with amiga hardware)

Moderators: terriblefire, Terriblefire Moderator

Lynxman

Re: Noob building a TF534

Post by Lynxman »

lol it failed at the very end. Might be a bad SDcard or my notoriously unstable X58 USB controller. Got it up and runnig on the other newer PC now by turning back on "Professional" mode in Winimage, which I had turned off trying "everything" before.

Sorry for being a pain. Can't believe I'm having this much trouble with this as a computer veteran.
Lynxman

Post by Lynxman »

Success at last. It failed on both machines with two 8 GB SD cards. Finally I took the 32 GB card from my action camera and that worked. It booted now. :) Time to try the fun parts.
supaduper

Post by supaduper »

AS a guess your two 8gb sd cards must have just been a smidge too small to take the image, good luck with the programming :)
Lynxman

Post by Lynxman »

Yeah I guess so.

But success. Both CPLD's are recognized. I actually found a fault first as it didn't recognize. There were a couple of loose pins that I found by pushing under the microscope, but the crazy thing was that the PCB had soldermask over one of the pins for the smaller chip. I didn't notice before as it had white silkscreen over parts of it as well. I had to carefully scrape around the pin and then apply flux and solder to the pin and it worked. I marked the pin in the screenshot from my microscope.
Attachments
TF534-04.jpg
TF534-04.jpg (110.56 KiB) Viewed 3714 times
Lynxman

Post by Lynxman »

And writing both jed files seems to have gone successfully. Now I just have to hope the sockets and cpu gets here soon so I can plug it into my Amiga and hopefully not set anything on fire.
arkadiusz.makarenko
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by arkadiusz.makarenko »

Do you have Diagrom ready?
Do not trust people. They are capable of greatness.
~ Stanislaw Lem
Lynxman

Post by Lynxman »

Yes. Diagrom 1.2. But I probably need to mod my motherboard to accept it as it's a Rev 5 motherboard and it won't boot diagrom or anything newer than 1.3 without the oops mod. :) I have made a socket that fixes that, but the extra socket under the rom won't fit with the 68000 relocator so I'll have to figure something out.

I did the same pin tug under the microscope with all the ram chips and they were fine except for one pin, which I fixed.
Lynxman

Post by Lynxman »

BTW. I am proficient in cad, both 2D and 3D, so if these projects need any 3D print models made I can contribute.

I started makign some retro computer things lately:
https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/various ... ga-gamepad
https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/various ... ini-casing
https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/various ... um-gamepad

I usually design and build 3D printable model cars and planes like this:
PaulJ_2.0

Post by PaulJ_2.0 »

Lynxman wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:21 pm The extra socket under the rom won't fit with the 68000 relocator so I'll have to figure something out.
You can raise the CPU up by stacking a couple of CPU sockets, it's not perfect but will work whilst you're checking with the diagrom.
The turned pin type sockets work best for this, as they make a nice connection each and every time.
Lynxman

Post by Lynxman »

That's a good idea. I don't need to close the case for testing. I have a bunch of turnpin header sockets on the way. I'm actually missing them as well before I can assemble the cpu relocator but I expect they will be here suddenly (China surprise shipping).

Return to “TF534 (OBSOLETE)”