TF534 Amiga Test Kit exception errors

TF534 - 68030 + More RAM Board (More compatible with amiga hardware)

Moderators: terriblefire, Terriblefire Moderator

imperious

TF534 Amiga Test Kit exception errors

Post by imperious »

I built my TF534 a while ago now but was having a lot of crashes, pretty much only in games.
It's running at 40mhz with a full 68030 but behaviour is same with an EC chip. No FPU installed.
I have reflowed all pins on ic's, there are no shorts or loose pins.
After screwing around with various options in WHDLOAD like no mmu, no autovec, and anything else I could find to try,
none of these things helped. I have installed with the max file size parameter as well.
If I run ATK from a floppy with the original 68000 installed, either in the cpu socket, or relocator socket all is fine, memory tests
perfectly. As soon as I install the TF534 it will crash.
When it runs long enough to throw an exception error it's always the same a3 address.
I can not even run say "Stunt car racer" from floppy with the card installed, crashes when showing the track before the race starts but
fine with just 68000 installed.
One earlier mistake I made was to insert the cf card cable the wrong way round which killed that cf card, and it was damn hot too,
however worked ok with a new one. Maybe teh 74AC16245 damage? or bus cpld?
My power supply has a 4.3A 5v rail and all caps tested ok on my ESR meter, so it's not that.

Trying to find information that explains Amiga test kit errors in just about impossible, so whether a3 has anything to do with address line
a3 I highly doubt it, but at least it's consistent. Photo's are attached just in case anyone has an idea which would be much appreciated.
I haven't tried reprogramming the CPLD's yet but didn't get any errors when I did this with my raspberry Pi.
IMG_20201119_211639.jpg
IMG_20201119_211639.jpg (240.81 KiB) Viewed 4220 times
IMG_20201119_211820.jpg
IMG_20201119_211820.jpg (235.79 KiB) Viewed 4220 times
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: TF534 Amiga Test Kit exception errors

Post by rubber_jonnie »

@imperious

FYI I have approved your post and added the pictures inline as per this post:

https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/forum/viewt ... =20&t=2357

Good luck getting help for your problem.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

The test kit errors are the state of the machine when it crashed. Looks like a bus error occured.
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
indicates how much hurting you shall receive."
8 Bit Dreams
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by 8 Bit Dreams »

We need more info like RAM type You've installed and frequency You are using, to be able to provide help
Retro computer hardware & repair in Germany
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

I would also install an FPU. its good for the bus termination.
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
imperious

Post by imperious »

Thankyou very much for the replies Stephen and 8 bit dreams.

The Ram I've installed is the Alliance AS6C8008-55 and is running at 40mhz because I originally tried 50mhz and dropped
it back due to instability issues.
I did run diagrom and the 4MB ram passed there but I've read it's not as thorough as ATK.
It's a bit late here tonight so I'll stick an FPU in there tomorrow after work and see how that goes.
Those slightly darker looking pins on the ram chips are soldered ok, I reflowed all memory pins at work with a hot air soldering station Friday.
IMG_20201122_223630.jpg
IMG_20201122_223630.jpg (226.36 KiB) Viewed 4192 times
imperious

Post by imperious »

Well I fitted an 40mhz FPU and reprogrammed the cpld's with -v command added (just to see the output) and they passed no probs.

Unfortunately no change whatsoever still crashes all the time. I added jumpers to both the cdis and mmu disable headers just
to see if that made any difference.
Checked the 5 and 3.3 volts with my multimeter and that's rock solid.
Is there a chance the 74AC16245 is flaky? or the bus cpld?

Well I have a TF536 board so should probably solder that up and see how that goes.
8 Bit Dreams
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by 8 Bit Dreams »

May i ask you where did You got Your cplds, )
and what timing grade do these have?
Regards,

-V
Retro computer hardware & repair in Germany
imperious

Post by imperious »

You may well ask, and I have to admit they were from China and weren't particularly expensive.
10ns speed rating.
Maybe my run of good luck getting parts from china has run out here.
Think I'll get replacements from element 14 or somewhere else reputable.

They do work but I guess it's possible they are remarked at a faster speed than they actually are.
I'll keep looking for some other possible solution but guess that they aren't up to scratch.
I do check sellers feedback before buying but maybe like myself other people just put feedback
before installing or the parts aren't being used for anything that stresses them much.

Will I learn the lesson here, time will tell.
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

I've never understood why people cheap out on those CPLDs. You will drive yourself insane if it has one IOB dead.
———

Return to “TF534 (OBSOLETE)”