The TF330 is here

68030 + SDRAM + IDE

Moderators: terriblefire, Terriblefire Moderator

supaduper

Re: The TF330 is here

Post by supaduper »

Well its now or Never as Elvis used to say :)

I received Steve boards , and dropped everything and soldered it up, only one mistake soldered the CPLD on wrong doh , but noticed that so sweated it off and put a new one on,also no 0603 1k resistors so hacked it with carbon 1k ones

Put it in the CD32 put fingers in ears and fire extinguisher handy turned on and...no terrible fire !! Boooo !

Hooked up the Xilinx programmer and yes it sees the CPLD so Steve is gonna send over the Firmware later, here`s hoping :)
Attachments
TF330 No1.jpg
TF330 No1.jpg (231.21 KiB) Viewed 3841 times
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

check your inbox.. you have firmware.

EDIT: Also am curious about what could make the build easier/faster in a rev2
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
indicates how much hurting you shall receive."
supaduper

Post by supaduper »

Cheers Steve,

It Lives !
just to add I used 0.1uf 0603 caps on the top as I did not have 0603 1uf and also shoved some 22uf on the top as well obviously left 10uf on the 5v power rail
Just leaving Odyssey on loop as a quick stress test

I am using standard CD32 PSU, seem ok so far, CPU is plastic 40mhz and runs sweet 50 hz, a little hot will see how that fares

to be continued........
Attachments
TF330_N1.jpg
TF330_N1.jpg (381.11 KiB) Viewed 3826 times
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

Awesome news... this is why I do what I do... Amazing to see someone else get the board going first time.

To think that started hacking the TF328 on the 24th of October...and just over 6 weeks later its built and working by someone other than me.
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
nils

Post by nils »

I'm just a bystander reading this forum and watching the video(s) of it starting and I'm excited!!!, can't wait till I can get one :)
I diffidently got back into the scene at a magic time.

Laine
8 Bit Dreams
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by 8 Bit Dreams »

You mean TF330... :lol:
Retro computer hardware & repair in Germany
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

8 Bit Dreams wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:55 am You mean TF330... :lol:
No i really did mean the TF328. I copied the board... imported the TF534 schematic and started hacking... I think only Rob from Amiga Ireland and @supaduper knew about the board until it was routed. @exxos helped with some of it but I dont think he had all the details of what I was up to.
———
alenppc
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by alenppc »

I can’t wait to build mine, got all the parts from Digikey, but I don’t think the board will be here before January... :)

Anyway my only suggestion without having built it yet, is if it would be possible to get the CPU to run a lower frequency because I think we might have issues getting cpus that can run at 50 MHz reliably... but I know this is a tough one. What if we put a 120 MHz crystal and divide it by 3?
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

alenppc wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:21 pm I can’t wait to build mine, got all the parts from Digikey, but I don’t think the board will be here before January... :)

Anyway my only suggestion without having built it yet, is if it would be possible to get the CPU to run a lower frequency because I think we might have issues getting cpus that can run at 50 MHz reliably... but I know this is a tough one. What if we put a 120 MHz crystal and divide it by 3?
The CPU cant run at less than 50Mhz except 14Mhz.. It runs at 14 Mhz whenever the motherboard is being accessed. This is to help cooling as well anything else. If your CPU isnt up to 50mhz then I suggest an 80Mhz crystal for the board.. but given we've gone to all this trouble i am thinking 50Mhz is what everyone will want?
———
supaduper

Post by supaduper »

I agree Steve, 50mhz is the way to go
Mine has run for 24 hours not missed a beat and I am now just leaving it running Nemac4 on loop.
I have found that the small low profile heatsink is definitely advisable, they are quite cheap and will save a lot of hassle and a burned out CPU,

Ordered some of these hearsinks and some thermal adhesive sheets
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Small-Heat-S ... 2749.l2649

Like said before I use my 030 Matrix accelerator with a CPU socket to test the plastic 40mhz 030 ,can honestly say its only the odd one that fails at 50mhz

Return to “TF330”