The TF330 is here

68030 + SDRAM + IDE

Moderators: terriblefire, Terriblefire Moderator

terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: The TF330 is here

Post by terriblefire »

8 Bit Dreams wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:06 pm Aww...What's happened? You was trying to add flywires from riser? Yeah, same is on A2000 CPU Slot - all voltages present, so need to be really careful...
Hopefully Your new CD32 isn't damaged...
Yeah i had a flylead on one of the headers... touched something in the audio/drive area....

No CD32s' were harmed.
exxos wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:08 pm Dang it, did I miss the fire again ?? :cry: :cry:
The regulator was getting red hot... so i applied 3.3v to the 3.3v rail directly and it clamped on the current limiter. As i upped the limit the CPLD smoked.. :(

Just hoping the RAM is ok.
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
indicates how much hurting you shall receive."
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

New cpld on... about to fire it up
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
supaduper

Post by supaduper »

Bring that bad boy back from the dead buddy 8-)
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

think the ram is dead.. :(
———
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

Ok.. it lives again
its_alive.JPG
its_alive.JPG (53.15 KiB) Viewed 3475 times
One thing I would like to share about this was that when i soldered back on the CPLD i got a tiny flake of Brass from my soldering iron cleaner stuck in behind 2 CPLD pins... nothing could reach in there.. not even a strand of wire wrap wire. I had to use flux and solder to wick it out.

I would never never never have seen that without some kind of magnification.

I thought i'd also list the butchers bill.
1 x XC95144XL CPLD (£12),
1x SDRAM Chip (£6),
1x 68030RC50 (£28)

So i guess the lesson is that if you let your flyleads dangle into high voltage you can expect to zap your tender parts and it will cost you a fortune.
———
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

:bravo:
terriblefire wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:24 pm One thing I would like to share about this was that when i soldered back on the CPLD i got a tiny flake of Brass from my soldering iron cleaner stuck in behind 2 CPLD pins... nothing could reach in there.. not even a strand of wire wrap wire. I had to use flux and solder to wick it out.
I have that problem a lot but its normally solder which shorts out pins and never wants to come off! "Drag soldering" never works for me, I dunno why. All it does is shorts out all the pins :roll:
terriblefire wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:24 pm So i guess the lesson is that if you let your flyleads dangle into high voltage you can expect to zap your tender parts and it will cost you a fortune.
Problem really is, when the electrons escape the wire and arc several foot across the room, that's when you really have issues ;)
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

exxos wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:31 pm :bravo:

I have that problem a lot but its normally solder which shorts out pins and never wants to come off! "Drag soldering" never works for me, I dunno why. All it does is shorts out all the pins :roll:

Problem really is, when the electrons escape the wire and arc several foot across the room, that's when you really have issues ;)
Drag soldering only works for me with the AmTech flux and a K-Tip iron.
———
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

terriblefire wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:37 pm Drag soldering only works for me with the AmTech flux and a K-Tip iron.
RMA-223 stuff ?
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

exxos wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:41 pm RMA-223 stuff ?
I use the NC-559-V2-TF
———
8 Bit Dreams
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by 8 Bit Dreams »

terriblefire wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:24 pm Ok.. it lives again

I thought i'd also list the butchers bill.
1 x XC95144XL CPLD (£12),
1x SDRAM Chip (£6),
1x 68030RC50 (£28)
Oh... This means almost all components on TF was dead, even CPU...Expensive experiment.. :cry:
Hope PCB You've sent arrives soon, want to test different brands of CF cards CF to SD included, not sure about RAM, have some Samsung chips lying around, these are 130Mhz though...
Retro computer hardware & repair in Germany

Return to “TF330”