The TF330 is here

68030 + SDRAM + IDE

Moderators: terriblefire, Terriblefire Moderator

terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: The TF330 is here

Post by terriblefire »

8 Bit Dreams wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:54 pm I would say if this will be solved - then fixing TF520 on CDTV will be trivial - seems to me it's same issue that prevents CD drive to work..
Not convinced. The CD32 issue is a DMA cycle issue because i havent implemented bus arbitration at all.

On the TF520 bus arb works (or very nearly does) because i can format a floppy on an atari ST with it.

EDIT: My TF330 had no been happy at all since it was zapped. I may need to build another.
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
indicates how much hurting you shall receive."
8 Bit Dreams
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by 8 Bit Dreams »

Hi!
got TF330 betatest board delivered, unfortunately have some problems caused by Deutsche Post - one corner of the edge connector is smashed (looks like pcb was fallen or got stuck somewhere between rollers.. :shock: :evil:
Decided to file down lifted copper, done it with fine file, seems that these two corner pins was connected to middle layers, so im rather prepared my board will higly likely not boot.
Steve, can You please point me where first left pins on the upper and down side (if i look on the TF330 plugged into riser) are connected? if these are VCC & GND pins - will solder two wires to PWR jumper to get these connected..

As spoken above - took Samsung RAM to build this one up, good news are - cpld chain is found, ready for program, just need a firmware now- Github doesn't have TF330 folder yet... :P

EDIT
seems four last pins are sound outputs, if so - this time i was lucky...
Retro computer hardware & repair in Germany
alenppc
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by alenppc »

Good news! My PCB arrived as well, just in time for the weekend. I will be soldering it tomorrow.

The 1 MB diagrom also arrived from supaduper today - thank you very much kind sir, very much obliged.
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

8 Bit Dreams wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:59 pm Hi!
got TF330 betatest board delivered, unfortunately have some problems caused by Deutsche Post - one corner of the edge connector is smashed (looks like pcb was fallen or got stuck somewhere between rollers.. :shock: :evil:
Dont build that board. I'll post you another this morning... there could be delamination on the internal layers.
alenppc wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:45 am Good news! My PCB arrived as well, just in time for the weekend. I will be soldering it tomorrow.

The 1 MB diagrom also arrived from supaduper today - thank you very much kind sir, very much obliged.
Great. Now if I can just get my board booting again. I've been at Xmas parties so had no time to look at it. I got 10 mins yesterday and it looks like D27 is stuck to something because it boots to address 0x08F80864 .. cant find a fault on the board though. at least not yet.
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
supaduper

Post by supaduper »

Guys just want to say that I have found the the Cheap IDE to Cf adapters we use with no problem on the TF328 are hit and miss on the TF330 also I have found that even the Cheap 8gb cards we use on the TF328 are problematic some work some will not , but if you use the IDE the SD adapter( link below)
Then it boots with my images with no problem, so if you have one please try that to get your TF330 to boot, I know Steve knows about this as he as mentioned it.
These Cf/CF adapter problems are same with both my TF330 boards so it is a repeatable condition.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/44-Pin-Male- ... 0278.m3478
8 Bit Dreams
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by 8 Bit Dreams »

@ Stephen
Too late bud, card is already built ;)
All i need is FW, to see was it worth or i just wasted a cpu socket :P

@Mark
Thank You, will try this one, have a lot of CF cards lying around, starting with cheap chinese noname ones, followed by Transcend, Toshiba, SanDisk etc..
I know this doesn't mean anything, but it will be important for the start of building pricess, so persons know is this a soldering fault or cf card just don't boot

@alenppc
Please be careful if You decide to bevel the edge, middle layers are too close to the card end, these may be shortcutted when card is plugged into riser if You file too much, im sure You know it, just wanted to point on this, seems to be important..
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

8 Bit Dreams wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:02 am @ Stephen
Too late bud, card is already built ;)
All i need is FW, to see was it worth or i just wasted a cpu socket :P

Please be careful if You decide to bevel the edge, middle layers are too close to the card end, these may be shortcutted when card is plugged into riser if You file too much, im sure You know it, just wanted to point on this, seems to be important..
firmware in your gmail.

I'll adjust the middle layers for the rev 2 so they dont come to the edge.
———
8 Bit Dreams
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by 8 Bit Dreams »

Thanks for the FW, will try it out
About layers - yes, that would be great, i think that was the point why they decided not to do bigger bevel... :?
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

8 Bit Dreams wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:37 am Thanks for the FW, will try it out
About layers - yes, that would be great, i think that was the point why they decided not to do bigger bevel... :?
Yes probably. I didnt even think about this to be fair.
———
8 Bit Dreams
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by 8 Bit Dreams »

terriblefire wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:57 am
Yes probably. I didnt even think about this to be fair.
that's why we are here, bud! :P

Ok
actual feedback for now:
i had Samsung K4S561632J-UC75 (133Mhz) on, after flashing FW IDE blinked 1x followed by reboot then 1x IDE blinked again, nothing happened CD32 freezed. Was thinking card isn't happy with this RAM, swapped out to chips Stephen used, but got same pattern :roll: :?
Ok, this means to me RAM isn't the culprit, have burnt DiagROM, however it showed no errors on ram
(we need to contact Chucky and point him on bug in Automatic Fastram scan - it configs on a wrong address for some reason!!!)

well, then i wiggled TF330 and IDE.....and it booted!!
So yeah! My card is working, it boots even with WB 3.9 and it is quite comfortable to use,
i just need to solve some issues - as it doesn't boot here and there.. Will clean edge connector and swap out IDE cable (this is the same IDE ribbon i used on TF534, got also some issues there - IDE is working slow, maybe it is my flat ribbon in the end!)

Thank You Stephen, i am very happy with this result, also big thanks to Mark for his useful tips, this done my build faster,
these small issues with CD drive will be ironed out and rev.2 will be working excellent.. Living the dream! :thumbup: :cheers:

PS,

Return to “TF330”