The TF330 is here

68030 + SDRAM + IDE

Moderators: terriblefire, Terriblefire Moderator

terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: The TF330 is here

Post by terriblefire »

alenppc wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:11 pm Now it doesn't boot with any full 68030 (grey screen, tried two of them) but boots fine with EC030. Could it be something related to the MMU?
Not likely. I have the opposite issue anyways. The MMU CPUs work and the ones without them dont. I'll figure it out eventually. just strange.

The original pre_alpha firmware doesnt work?
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
indicates how much hurting you shall receive."
alenppc
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by alenppc »

It seems they all work fine with the EC ones only for the moment. The gold CPU works on and off randomly.

EDIT: The gold full cpu now booted with the firmware you just sent me but reports no fast ram. I put back the plastic EC one and it works fine, including ram. Very odd..
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

Ok. Experiment time.

Could everyone close the MMUDIS jumper and see if that makes a diff. Just want to eliminate the MMU from enquiries.
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
supaduper

Post by supaduper »

terriblefire wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:14 am Ok. Experiment time.

Could everyone close the MMUDIS jumper and see if that makes a diff. Just want to eliminate the MMU from enquiries.
Sorry to be thick but where is that on the board
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

It’s one of these
33DEC879-47E5-4FA4-B2E1-C6EFDF9456EE.jpeg
33DEC879-47E5-4FA4-B2E1-C6EFDF9456EE.jpeg (405.92 KiB) Viewed 3757 times
Not sure which right now
———
alenppc
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by alenppc »

Also, Viktor and Mark, can you try a gold cpu and see if there is any difference for you?
supaduper

Post by supaduper »

alenppc wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:48 pm Also, Viktor and Mark, can you try a gold cpu and see if there is any difference for you?
Hi Alen
I have not got a Gold 50mhz cpu, but I have sent one of my TF330 builds to Steve so he can put one on it and compare results

**EDIT

I inputted " cpu fastrom" I jumpered both pins for the MMU and in sysinfo, open or jumpered it says" MMU in use"
am I doing something wrong lol
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

Its possible I screwed up the mmudis circuit. I’ll check later
———
alenppc
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by alenppc »

Supaduper, that's a software issue. The CPU command cannot distinguish between EC030 and regular 030. So if you issue a CPU FASTROM on an EC030, the command will then report "68030 FASTROM" when queried, but you won't get the desired effect. For example, do a speed test on the IDE. Sysinfo will report about 2 mb/sec without fastrom and over 6.5 mb/sec with fastrom, and the entire system will be a lot more responsive if the fastrom actually works. There will be no change on an EC030.

I don't know how good Sysinfo is at distinguishing between the two CPUs, it could be the same as the CPU command.
supaduper

Post by supaduper »

alenppc wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:22 pm Supaduper, that's a software issue. The CPU command cannot distinguish between EC030 and regular 030. So if you issue a CPU FASTROM on an EC030, the command will then report "68030 FASTROM" when queried, but you won't get the desired effect. For example, do a speed test on the IDE. Sysinfo will report about 2 mb/sec without fastrom and over 6.5 mb/sec with fastrom, and the entire system will be a lot more responsive if the fastrom actually works. There will be no change on an EC030.

I don't know how good Sysinfo is at distinguishing between the two CPUs, it could be the same as the CPU command.
Cheers Alen

Ok so I left the MMUDIS open(two pins furthest away from the TF330 connector) and did a` cpu fastrom` command and the did a `Drive speed` test in sysinfo on my DH0: part and the speed increase was there.

Then I did the same as above with the Jumper closed and the speed of the drive did not increase so the MMUDIS is working :)

Return to “TF330”