TF330 Soft Reboot Issue (SOLVED)

68030 + SDRAM + IDE

Moderators: terriblefire, Terriblefire Moderator

terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: TF330 Soft Reboot Issue

Post by terriblefire »

Whenever I decode an address I assert PUNT.. this tells the motherboard not to decode the address. If I didn’t the IDE interface wouldn’t work on either the Tf328 or the Tf330. In fact it’s the line I forgot to wire up on the very first TF328.

The interrupt ack cycle is definitely getting to the motherboard. I measured. I now don’t think it’s IACK that’s the issue.

My next step is to try a plain kickstart 3.1.
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
indicates how much hurting you shall receive."
supaduper

Post by supaduper »

terriblefire wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:57 am Whenever I decode an address I assert PUNT.. this tells the motherboard not to decode the address. If I didn’t the IDE interface wouldn’t work on either the Tf328 or the Tf330. In fact it’s the line I forgot to wire up on the very first TF328.

The interrupt ack cycle is definitely getting to the motherboard. I measured. I now don’t think it’s IACK that’s the issue.

My next step is to try a plain kickstart 3.1.
as you know its custom rom in the CD32, see a thread here for some info Steve
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=91151
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

I was actually just going to try the latest A1200 rom I could get my hands on. The CD stuff won’t work but it’s enough to tell me if the issue is software or hardware.

My best guess is that an interrupt source for INT2 is left on after a soft reset (Possibly the CIA timers) but that the cold restart has caused some state that means the card resources are being polled.

It could be a cache interaction or some bug with the DSACK lines. Either way that interrupt is causing the lock up when an 030 is on the bus. There isn’t much protocol difference between 030 and 020... I’m expecting it to be a write to CIA not actually happening properly ultimately.

EDIT: Before someone points out that the A1200 Rom can’t be inserted in the CD32 i was planning to stuff the A1200 Rom image into the output stage for DiagROM and have it chop up the file for me. Then burn to a 27C800.
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

Ha! B*stard!

With kickstart 3.1 for an A1200 it works. Basically there must be some 030 compatible bug in the CD32 Rom.

If you want to try it i sliced up the A1200 ROM for the CD32 here.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/za1eyqxq93umr ... O.zip?dl=0

The only person who might have info on this is Toni Willen (WinUAE).

EDIT: I wonder if it has something to do with pulling the code for the floppy drive out?
———
alenppc
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by alenppc »

Wow, good catch. There were other 68030 accelerators released for the CD32, I wonder how they dealt with the issue.

On an unrelated note my pcbs arrived today, thanks very much!
supaduper

Post by supaduper »

Nice Steve I will burn that rom and try later

Just an observation , I am watching the drive activity light on the CD, and when it hangs on reboot I notice that the activity light stays permanently on.

On the odd occasion when I soft reboot and it works I notice that the activity light Comes on for CD initialization but then it seems at the same time the IDE activity also starts accessing at the same moment, just thought I would throw that in the mix , just say are the CD and IDE trying to boot at the same time ? just an observation Steve :)
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

That’s interesting! And the TF328 doesn’t have the LED thing.

My thoughts on this was that the IDE interface turns on INT2 in INTENA but some interrupt source was already on and no vector setup for handling... could be completely wrong but hey ho.
———
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

alenppc wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:11 am Wow, good catch. There were other 68030 accelerators released for the CD32, I wonder how they dealt with the issue.
Worst case scenario we give out instructions to patch the offending library (or include it in the CF cards we distribute). Its either exec, cardres or CIA.

I suspect that other accelerators have an 8 bit rom that can do the patch for via autoconfig boot roms etc.
———
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

So here is the results of a rom check..

(let me know if permissions are lacking etc)

I used this bash script (needs amitools via python)
romcompare.txt
(705 Bytes) Downloaded 160 times
Essentially all the modules in the base rom (not extended rom obviously) are the same (have same md5sum) except ...
rom_match.JPG
rom_match.JPG (56.24 KiB) Viewed 4265 times
Bootmenu ... No sh*t...
Exec...
Graphics.. prolly for C2P etc.
Scsi...

So i'll build a new CD32 Rom now with the scsi and exec from the A1200 and see how we go.

I noted that the A1200 ROM is newer than the CD32 by 8 revisions... so maybe there is a code difference there.
———
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

I reassembled a CD32 ROM with an A1200 exec and the scsi device... The reboot issue disappeared but i dont think the extended rom was correctly working because i got the insert disk animation.

Other things i've tried ..

1. Not asserting the ACTIVITY line for the IDE LED...
2. Blocking all Akiko DMA so that the DMA cycle never happens.
3. Running completely at 14Mhz.
4. Asserting CIIN all the time.

Nothing seems to change the reboot issue.

I'll try and assemble a proper CD32 rom again tomorrow.
———

Return to “TF330”