TF330 Akiko C2P Compatibility (Turn Off Data Cache)

68030 + SDRAM + IDE

Moderators: terriblefire, Terriblefire Moderator

Gooeyblob

Re: TF330 Akiko C2P Compatibility (Turn Off Data Cache)

Post by Gooeyblob »

alenppc wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:42 am
8 Bit Dreams wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:18 pm is there any place to download Doom Attack from? can't find it on EAB... :oops:
It's on Aminet :-) The problem though is finding full version compatible wad files for DOOM1. If anyone can help let me know.

A few findings from tonight: installing MMULib v46 from aminet fixes the akiko caching issue. So effectively this forces the 68030.library to be loaded which fixes the 030 data cache bug.

I was finally able to initialize an akiko screenmode but it only worked once out of 10 times I tried to run it (firmware v1) haven't tried v2 yet.

Some stats
Doom shareware wad run as "doomattack.020 -timedemo demo1 -forcedemo" with 020_optimized c2p gives me 7.54 FPS (firmware v1) and 8.83 fps (v2)
Remember the time demo renders every frame so it's a lot slower than actual gameplay.
Did you try using the "c2p_akiko2" routine?

Be interesting to see if the c2p test from this thread could be tried:

http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=131 ... stcount=63

...and a comparison with the TF328!
nibiru

Post by nibiru »

So I went back to firmware v1, my extra findings.

As alenppc said, with the 68030+mmu library (found on aminet), there's no need to disable the CPU data cache. I guess it gets disabled automatically when accessing the Akiko registers.

Akiko worked again with the v1 firmware, on my CD32. I ran the DoomAttack timedemo to get these interesting results (NTSC 320x200):

single buffer
akiko2 = 8.161fps
020_optimized = 7.461fps
blitter - crashes

double buffer
akiko2 - 8.06
020_opt - 7.43
blitter - 8.02

Interesting to see how close the Blitter assisted C2P is to Akiko.

WingCommander seems notably faster with the optimized C2P than with Akiko. And this one is still much faster than with the V2 firmware and the fallback (original) C2P.

Unfortunately due to the "simple" design (write chunky - read planar - write planar to the screen buffer), Akiko doesn't really free the CPU, it only prevents doing many logic operations in between reads and writes. This is a minor improvement over one read - many rols/ands/ors - one write.

Would be interesting to see the values with the v2 firmware - I guess we can squeeze one extra FPS out of Doom, and still Akiko might help for an extra half fps :geek:
a
Anyone with the latest firmware able to get Akiko detected?

Cheers
8 Bit Dreams
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by 8 Bit Dreams »

Struggling to detect DoomAttack.. :roll:
Retro computer hardware & repair in Germany
alenppc
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by alenppc »

http://aminet.net/game/shoot/DoomAttack-AIO.lha

I just realized I was using a version from 2004. Maybe that’s why Akiko doesn’t work for me.
nibiru

Post by nibiru »

alenppc wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:16 am http://aminet.net/game/shoot/DoomAttack-AIO.lha

I just realized I was using a version from 2004. Maybe that’s why Akiko doesn’t work for me.
You could also try Wing Commander Patch with this command line:

Code: Select all

wcpatch NoC2P
...that enables the original code, using Akiko if detected, or a (slooow) CPU C2P if not.

Return to “TF330”