TF330 Akiko C2P Compatibility (Turn Off Data Cache)

68030 + SDRAM + IDE

Moderators: terriblefire, Terriblefire Moderator

nibiru

TF330 Akiko C2P Compatibility (Turn Off Data Cache)

Post by nibiru »

Hi all!

First of all thanks to terriblefire for the... terrible work and effort he has put into these boards, secondly thanks to alenppc for building the boards and shipping them super quickly!

After having a TF328 for some time, I couldn't resist getting a TF330 (delivered today). It should have the latest firmware.

The board seems to work, but I've noticed that the Akiko chip is not doing a proper C2P conversion anymore.
I've tested with DoomAttack (CD32 version), Wing Commander (patched) and Fusion (Mac emulator with the Akiko driver), and they all show garbage on the screen.

They all worked fine with the TF328. I've also tried the board with another riser, same issue.

So I wonder if it's:

0) a known problem or could someone else please verify if the same occurs to them?
1) a software issue? Is Akiko not supposed to work with anything above a 68020?
2) my combination of CD32 (Akiko rev.) and this board to prevent it from working?
3) a problem with one of the signals on the connector that I need to clean?

Let me know if there's anything I can do to give more informations/help.

Cheers!
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: TF330 Akiko C2P Compatibility

Post by terriblefire »

Does your CD-ROM drive still work? If so Akiko is probably working fine and the issue is something else.
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
indicates how much hurting you shall receive."
nibiru

Post by nibiru »

terriblefire wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:16 pm Does your CD-ROM drive still work? If so Akiko is probably working fine and the issue is something else.
Wow that's a quick reply! Yep, just verified, the CD seems to be working correctly. It's just the chunky to planar conversion performed by Akiko that is gone.

Thanks.
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

nibiru wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:33 pm
terriblefire wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:16 pm Does your CD-ROM drive still work? If so Akiko is probably working fine and the issue is something else.
Wow that's a quick reply! Yep, just verified, the CD seems to be working correctly. It's just the chunky to planar conversion performed by Akiko that is gone.

Thanks.
In your early start menu do you have a 1 or a 2 for the product code for the RAM?
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
nibiru

Post by nibiru »

Turns out that someone posted an answer... yesterday.

Akiko doesn't like the DATA CACHE:

http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=131 ... stcount=61

Turning it off, everything works again.

Thanks TerribleFire, maybe we can leave this here for people wondering, or add as a FAQ somewhere else!

Btw, I've got a Product-Code of 1 and Manufacturer 5080.

Cheers.
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: TF330 Akiko C2P Compatibility (Turn Off Data Cache)

Post by terriblefire »

Great.

You should try and get an upgrade to version 2. Its a good kick up the arse faster.
———
alenppc
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by alenppc »

Yes, his board was shipped before v2 arrived... but I had no clue about data cache incompatibility. I am going to run some tests with v1 and v2 firmwares to see if there is any difference.
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

alenppc wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:58 pm Yes, his board was shipped before v2 arrived... but I had no clue about data cache incompatibility. I am going to run some tests with v1 and v2 firmwares to see if there is any difference.
The cache is inhibited for Akiko addresses but there is a "bug" in the 030 whereby if you write a longword to an address and certain caches are enabled then you will read that back always.. The address is effectively non-volatile. Some call it a bug.. Some call it a "feature".

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=56255

EDIT: Its one of the reasons the 030 was not wanted on the CD32 for so long...
———
nibiru

Post by nibiru »

Thanks everyone.

Should I try to flash the beta in the other thread then? I remember flashing the TF328 with my RaspPi, can I do the same?
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

nibiru wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:20 pm Thanks everyone.

Should I try to flash the beta in the other thread then? I remember flashing the TF328 with my RaspPi, can I do the same?
There is a newer one AlenPPC can give you.
———

Return to “TF330”