OT: Analogic CD32 died :(

68030 + SDRAM + IDE

Moderators: terriblefire, Terriblefire Moderator

alenppc
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

OT: Analogic CD32 died :(

Post by alenppc »

So the CD32 I got from Analogic a couple of weeks ago has died out of the blue. I hadn't had the chance to recap it yet, but now I get no power at all on the board... dammit.
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: OT: Analogic CD32 died :(

Post by terriblefire »

alenppc wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:08 pm So the CD32 I got from Analogic a couple of weeks ago has died out of the blue. I hadn't had the chance to recap it yet, but now I get no power at all on the board... dammit.
How odd. I have one that needs the audio amps looked at. And Viktor has an absolutely mint one.

EDIT:

That sounds like a dead short somewhere or a dead PSU.
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
indicates how much hurting you shall receive."
Gooeyblob

Post by Gooeyblob »

My friend bought one a few weeks ago from there and the PSU was DOA!
alenppc
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by alenppc »

Something burned out for sure, I powered it up and the power went away, but the PSU didn't go into short protection, just kept running and it works fine on the other CD32. I can't see any scorched traces or any visual cues as to which component failed. I guess I will ask John Hertell for some pointers. Any fuses on this motherboard??
alenppc
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by alenppc »

Ok, R801 burned out. I am going to replace it with a 1 ohm resistor and see if that burns out again. I guess it acts like a fuse.
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

R801 looks like a pad for a ferrite bead/fuse or 0R resistor if they cheaped out.
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
indicates how much hurting you shall receive."
alenppc
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by alenppc »

It was a 0R, but since I don't have a 0R, I replaced it with a 1 ohm. Now the board powers up again. I also recapped it completely while I was at it, lots of leakage under the 22uF caps.

Anyway, I get sync on the screen but black screen. Even diagrom doesn't boot. No change with a 330 plugged in or without it... Dammit...
8 Bit Dreams
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by 8 Bit Dreams »

Retro computer hardware & repair in Germany
alenppc
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by alenppc »

It doesn't look the same, mine was working fine until it suddenly lost power when R801 burned out for some reason. To be fair, I was using it without recapping it due to lack of time, and the 22uF and some 100uF caps had leaked.

The power was restored after replacing R801 but now all I get is black screen. I also recapped the whole thing.

I am suspecting the PSU might have sent a high voltage on the +5V, causing the burn out, but then who knows what else might have gotten damaged. Although it is strange as I am using a brand new AT PSU (yes, they are still made).
alenppc
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by alenppc »

OK, it lives once more.

I noticed that 1ohm R801 was getting really toasty so I replaced it with a 0R taken from a dead A600 motherboard and it booted immediately. Also my AT PSU is going in the garbage. I strongly suspect it was responsible for killing the R801 in the first place.

Return to “TF330”