Wont RESET via hardware button, but operates ok with TF328

68030 + SDRAM + IDE

Moderators: terriblefire, Terriblefire Moderator

Higgy

Wont RESET via hardware button, but operates ok with TF328

Post by Higgy »

First off thanks to Stephen for designing and for the others in building the designs.
2019 is going to be another big AMIGA year. 060 celebrations hopefully 8-)

Right, i have a strange issue on my Rev 3 board. If i RESET via the physical CD32 button I get some RESET response but the CD32 does not reset (keyboard combo works fine).
I have tested with nothing but the TF330 plugged in (no CF card) to ensure it was not my card or say USB mouse adapter.
It happens with original and latest Burst firmware (nearly 10 MIPS nice ;) ).
Is there a trace I can check? It is strange because it recognises the RESET but it just does not fully cycle or whatever the tech term is !

As I say in the subject title, on my TF328 hardware RESET works fine so I guess I can rule out the actual CD32? (I did recap it about 2 years ago).

Thanks
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: Wont RESET via hardware button, but operates ok with TF328

Post by terriblefire »

Higgy wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:54 pm First off thanks to Stephen for designing and for the others in building the designs.
2019 is going to be another big AMIGA year. 060 celebrations hopefully 8-)

Right, i have a strange issue on my Rev 3 board. If i RESET via the physical CD32 button I get some RESET response but the CD32 does not reset (keyboard combo works fine).
I have tested with nothing but the TF330 plugged in (no CF card) to ensure it was not my card or say USB mouse adapter.
It happens with original and latest Burst firmware (nearly 10 MIPS nice ;) ).
Is there a trace I can check? It is strange because it recognises the RESET but it just does not fully cycle or whatever the tech term is !

As I say in the subject title, on my TF328 hardware RESET works fine so I guess I can rule out the actual CD32? (I did recap it about 2 years ago).

Thanks
Did you build the board yourself?
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
indicates how much hurting you shall receive."
Higgy

Post by Higgy »

No, bought from Mark.
I enjoy building things but I am not confident with SMD's. Well i dont have the right tools.
supaduper

Post by supaduper »

I built Higgys bud,

Does it soft boot ? open a Shell window and input REBOOT hit Enter, see if it reboots

I see you managed to update to Burst using my Howto as you asked me over on EAB :)
Higgy

Post by Higgy »

Guide was great thanks (once I remembered to run XC3sprog from Downloads folder!!

Shell reboot works. I notice that when I first power on the CD32 it hangs. I have to power cycle to get the TF330 to run.
supaduper

Post by supaduper »

Soft reboot works so that`s good , you say it hangs on first power up, have you got another CF adapter and Cf card to try to eliminate them.
Higgy

Post by Higgy »

Tried TF328 CF card and adaptor (adaptors are the same VH.2?) and still same behaviour.

I need to see if it is time related or it might be something to do with plugging in out the riser swapping between TF328 and 330, but cold boot issue seems to have been fixed. CD32 was powered off at mains for at least 10mins and it cold booted. I will try it again over a longer time period.

When it did not boot from 'cold' I see the power light stays in its 'dim' state. Also pressing the CD32 RESET button the power light stays dim. I thought it cycles through its dim-bright setting (or am I thinking A1200).

Unless riser is not connecting well for RESET. But strange thing is that 'something' does happen when you press it. Keyboard RESET does not work in this 'hanging' state once hardware RESET has been pressed.

Very impressed that the CPU stays cool after a load of 3D game play. My A1200 with 030 gets toasty. If the same magic can be applied to the 060 card then that's another big win for CD32/A1200 owners :) (oh, and the in-the-works TF330 A1200 version will have these great low heating benefits)
supaduper

Post by supaduper »

I think it is power related and your PSU is just on the limit when used with the TF330 the CD32 power LED being dim is a good clue as I have seen that before with a weak PSU
Higgy

Post by Higgy »

My PSU is a LACIE laptop supply which I fitted the correct DIN plug. It is 2A 5V (2.2A on 12V) so it could well be the issue.
I left the mains on for a bit of time before turning on the CD32 and it booted fine from cold (button RESET not working).

I have another LACIE PSU but I have not got around to changing the plug, so cant test that for some time.

Apart from the button RESET (although with power cycling or using keyboard reset I have plenty of options :) ) once booted the TF330 is running great :D

Cheers.
8 Bit Dreams
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by 8 Bit Dreams »

2A on 5V rail is a no go, CF card only needs about 0,3+04A
You need something about 4A for 030 accelerator
Retro computer hardware & repair in Germany

Return to “TF330”