TF330 in-game bug (Pinball Fantasies)

68030 + SDRAM + IDE

Moderators: terriblefire, Terriblefire Moderator

theq

TF330 in-game bug (Pinball Fantasies)

Post by theq »

Found a bug that is pretty consistent on the TF330 running the latest official firmware.

This happens with the original CD32 version (and the HDD install of AGA version) of Pinball Fantasies - not the WHDLoad version.
Load up the game and jump into the "Stones n Bones" table. Releasing the ball at maximum speed will make the ball got straight to the tower feature, which shouldn't be possible. Then it goes into a complete halt, sometimes crashing/GURUing.

This only happens on the TF330 and not on the TF328.

Have also tried with CDIS and MMUDIS jumpers and "Disable CPU cache" at boot-up without any luck.

Would be interesting to hear if others have the same issue.
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: TF330 in-game bug (Pinball Fantasies)

Post by terriblefire »

Have you tried this in WinUAE with a CD32 and appropriate upgrades? I.e 030 at max speed and 64Mb of ram?
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
indicates how much hurting you shall receive."
theq

Post by theq »

I have tried it extensively with WinUAE and found that it bugs out with Z3 memory.
Any other configurations with CPU/FPU/ROM etc it works great with Z2 memory. So that must be the culprit.

On a side note; The game works perfectly well with my SX32.

I also found "The Chaos Engine" game craps out regardless type of memory and size. Just stops drawing to screen at boot-up. So probably programmed not to support additional memory.
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

sounds like some kind of 24 bit math is involved in calculating a struct/offset/location. WHDLoad can patch games if you can figure out what the offending instruction is.
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
theq

Post by theq »

Don’t think there is much we can do except having a disable switch for extended memory. Regardsless, I will see what I can find.
Higgy

Post by Higgy »

I did not have my TF330 setup, but I recently fitted a CDROM to my A1200 so tested the CD version.
So for reference it worked fine with 030 and 64mb on the A1200.
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

theq wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:53 am Don’t think there is much we can do except having a disable switch for extended memory. Regardsless, I will see what I can find.
Well there will be a way to patch the game. I'm not giving switches for more options. There are already standard ways to disable fastram and TBH if you disable the fastram you may aswell just use the 020 because the 030 will be running at 14Mhz without fastram anyways.
———
theq

Post by theq »

I have found that this only happens with the CD32’s kickstart ROM as the game works on Z3 based memory with other Amigas.
But how would we be able to patch the game booting from CD? Through TF firmware?

Return to “TF330”