Build a TF330

68030 + SDRAM + IDE

Moderators: terriblefire, Terriblefire Moderator

tlt

Build a TF330

Post by tlt »

Hi, I have been thinking of building a TF330.
Is there someone selling a kit?
Is there files available to have PCBs manufacture?

I know that the soldering job is not for beginners but I think I have the skills required and building something is also what I'm interested in.
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: Build a TF330

Post by terriblefire »

tlt wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:08 pm Hi, I have been thinking of building a TF330.
Is there someone selling a kit?
Is there files available to have PCBs manufacture?

I know that the soldering job is not for beginners but I think I have the skills required and building something is also what I'm interested in.
There are no kits. The files are available if you look on github. I'm not wanting to spoon feed you more than that because if you cant locate the files with the info i've given you you will be a nightmare to help during the build. I will give you a link to the 68030 sockets because its easy to get the wrong one.

http://www.buyicnow.com/it.php?i=297

Word of warning. It is likely to cost you more to build one that buy one on ebay.
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
indicates how much hurting you shall receive."
tlt

Post by tlt »

Thanks for the quick reply!

Sorry if I am missing something obvious but I have searched on github under the terriblefire account and found nothing.
There is a link (https://github.com/terriblefire/tf330) in another post on this forum (TF330 Sources released) but it goes nowhere (404). I guess the files have been moved to somewhere else on github but I can't figure out where.

I'm going to build two or three board so the economics might be a little better and the building part is actually what I'm after. But I am going to compare cost and if it does not make sense at all to build myself I might get it on ebay instead.
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

Google is your friend. I removed the sourced from my github.
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
tlt

Post by tlt »

Ok, I used Google and found this https://github.com/fluffyfreak/tf330. Thanks for sharing this project!
tlt

Post by tlt »

Hi,
I have made two boards now and they partially work. The problem I have is with the RAM. I get a red error screen at boot with both cards. I can press continue and start Workbench and see that the 030 CPU is used and it obviously boots from SD now but no Fast RAM. I have tested on different CD32s and with different risers.

IMG_3407_s.jpg
IMG_3407_s.jpg (269.85 KiB) Viewed 3062 times

I used W9825G6KH-5 SDRAM. Are those compatible with the TF330?

I have not populated C11 and C19 on the back of the board as they are not present in the BOM, is that correct?

I would be very thankful for any tips or suggestions.
supaduper

Post by supaduper »

terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

If you get a red screen the ram is 100% dead
———
8 Bit Dreams
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by 8 Bit Dreams »

I had no luck with Winbond RAM,
I've built with 6ns though,
so this might be Your issue, try other RAM chips
Retro computer hardware & repair in Germany
kulamario

Post by kulamario »

terriblefire wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 6:22 pm If you get a red screen the ram is 100% dead
Or bad soldering

Return to “TF330”