TF1230 Beta Interest (Open Source)

68030 + SDRAM + IDE

Moderators: terriblefire, Terriblefire Moderator

Higgy

Re: TF1230 Beta Interest (Open Source)

Post by Higgy »

I've joined the TF1230 party (thanks Goose). Here are some initial findings, seems something strange with IDE CF:

1B kick 3.0 internal IDE to CF - boots to Workbench, card not detected. All good as I am sure you need Kick 3.1 onwards. So issues understood.

1B kick 3.1.4 long IDE to CF extension - LED lights flicker, seems like it is rebooting. Screen black but then get a flash like rebooting.

2B kick 3.1.4 long IDE to CF extension - LED lights flicker, seems like it is rebooting. Screen black but then get a flash like rebooting.

(Added info: the LED flashing happens straight away with power on, I don't think it is reading anything off the CF and it is the same behaviour with CF card removed)

On the 2B I removed the long IDE to CF extension and plugged in a different short IDE to CF adaptor and it boots and card is detected, all memory shown :)
I've not tried removing the long CF adaptor yet on the 1B. But I expect it will work.

@terriblefire the long IDE to CF works fine on TF1260, so is there anything different hardware or Firmware which could make the difference on TF1230? I know there are different versions of the IDE CF adaptor, I have not identified which versions are used (the short IDE I swapped on the 2B which then booted used a V.H2).

I tried 2 different PSU (both recapped 4.5 switch mode original versions). And setup works fine on TF1260.
I have a buffered IDE interface, so I will try the long IDE on that and see the result.
I don't think you like long IDE's but they are the easiest way to edit and swap a CF on a cased A1200 (and very neat with a back plate).

Cheers
kulamario

Post by kulamario »

Yes is from JLCPCB
tuf

Post by tuf »

terriblefire wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:44 am Amiga people want cheap. Thats the most important thing for them .
I was ordering from Alen the other night and had the choice of a 1230 or 1260 - I'm cheap so I went with the 1230, and then 30 minutes later changed my mind and ordered the 1260. You only live once.
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

Higgy wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:28 am I've joined the TF1230 party (thanks Goose). Here are some initial findings, seems something strange with IDE CF:

1B kick 3.0 internal IDE to CF - boots to Workbench, card not detected. All good as I am sure you need Kick 3.1 onwards. So issues understood.

1B kick 3.1.4 long IDE to CF extension - LED lights flicker, seems like it is rebooting. Screen black but then get a flash like rebooting.

2B kick 3.1.4 long IDE to CF extension - LED lights flicker, seems like it is rebooting. Screen black but then get a flash like rebooting.

(Added info: the LED flashing happens straight away with power on, I don't think it is reading anything off the CF and it is the same behaviour with CF card removed)

On the 2B I removed the long IDE to CF extension and plugged in a different short IDE to CF adaptor and it boots and card is detected, all memory shown :)
I've not tried removing the long CF adaptor yet on the 1B. But I expect it will work.

@terriblefire the long IDE to CF works fine on TF1260, so is there anything different hardware or Firmware which could make the difference on TF1230? I know there are different versions of the IDE CF adaptor, I have not identified which versions are used (the short IDE I swapped on the 2B which then booted used a V.H2).

I tried 2 different PSU (both recapped 4.5 switch mode original versions). And setup works fine on TF1260.
I have a buffered IDE interface, so I will try the long IDE on that and see the result.
I don't think you like long IDE's but they are the easiest way to edit and swap a CF on a cased A1200 (and very neat with a back plate).

Cheers
Data bus is buffered at the BUS CPLD on the TF1260. Its not on the TF1230. Long ide cables need buffers really. the lengths can cause reflections over the data bus etc. I'm confident if you add a buffer it will work.
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
indicates how much hurting you shall receive."
Higgy

Post by Higgy »

@terriblefire thanks for the info, makes sense that issue is because there are hardware differences.
And yes, with the IDE buffer it works sweet 8-)
You mentioned about removing Autoconfig? Would this also cause WhichAmiga and Early Startup Sequence to not report the TF1230 being connected? I imagine it has to read the info from somewhere.

@ICRY note you will be fine with a 1B, just check that edge connector is bevelled/chamfered. Both of my 1B's were not!
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

Higgy wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:28 pm @terriblefire thanks for the info, makes sense that issue is because there are hardware differences.
And yes, with the IDE buffer it works sweet 8-)
You mentioned about removing Autoconfig? Would this also cause WhichAmiga and Early Startup Sequence to not report the TF1230 being connected? I imagine it has to read the info from somewhere.

@Higgy note you will be fine with a 1B, just check that edge connector is bevelled/chamfered. Both of my 1B's were not!
Yeah autoconfig is out now.. i'm trying to squeeze in the fastata.
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
8 Bit Dreams
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by 8 Bit Dreams »

terriblefire wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:20 pm ..Data bus is buffered at the BUS CPLD on the TF1260. Its not on the TF1230. Long ide cables need buffers really. the lengths can cause reflections over the data bus etc. I'm confident if you add a buffer it will work.
There is buffered ide for long cables on A600/a1200

IMG_20210921_220855_588.jpg
IMG_20210921_220855_588.jpg (104.37 KiB) Viewed 2315 times

Just need to find where did I saw it...
Retro computer hardware & repair in Germany
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

8 Bit Dreams wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:11 pm There is buffered ide for long cables on A600/a1200
Cannot resist....

———
8 Bit Dreams
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by 8 Bit Dreams »

Ha ha :lol: :lol: :lol:
Nope, You'll find a lot of other things there, but no 600/1200 buffers :lol: :P

EDIT
just found where I saw them, it was at:
www.amigaworld.de
Retro computer hardware & repair in Germany
GadgetUK164

Post by GadgetUK164 »

terriblefire wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:14 pm
8 Bit Dreams wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:11 pm There is buffered ide for long cables on A600/a1200
Cannot resist....

:lol: :lol: :lol: Yet again you've given us something great - subbed to that channel lol
My YouTube Channel - www.youtube.com/GadgetUK164

Return to “TF330”